Truck or Trunk Guns?

Paisan

I keep a folding-stocked semiautomatic rifle and a few loaded mags in my vehicle at all times. Surprisingly, this often gets a strange reaction from even some fairly serious gun guys.

Thoughts? How many here keep a get home bag and/or a long gun with them?

I don't "keep" anything in my vehicle. That never seemed like a smart idea to me. I have a gun in my vehicle when I'm in it, but it leaves WITH me when I leave it.

Perhaps for folks who live in an apartment complex. My driveway is monitored by a camera and very well lit. I suppose someone might break into it, but I certainly don't look like I have anything expensive in my 10 year old truck. If someone were to break in and find it, I guess I'm out $400 and I'll just go buy another one. Either way, I'm not going to let animals affect my level of preparedness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 5

I still don't get that. My gun is outside my house, in my car, yards and yards away from me. How exactly does that prepare ME? It prepares the sumbitch breaking into my vehicle FOR me... but it ain't preparing me for anything out there. And if I'm incapable of remembering to take a gun with me when I leave the house (Oh, crap, I forgot it again. Oh, well, I have this one in here anyway, so I'm good), that's not much of a level of "preparedness."

• Like 5
I have my little Marlin Papoose .22 that lives under the back seat of the truck & a single shot .22 in the toolbox. I spend a fair amount of time in wild places in Texas, Wyoming etc...where spending a night or two in the truck is almost a certainty & getting stuck out there for a few days is a strong possibility
Other than that I don't purposely leave anything in the truck. Since the law changed though, I have started carrying s pistol in the truck, but it doesn't live there.
Speaking only for myself, the rifle "prepares" me to meet any number of unlikely, but still possible, scenarios encountered while traveling. It's far from my only rifle, so home defense is unaffected.It is in a discreet case that looks like a large, brightly colored raquet case and has a lock set one number off the combo for fairly fast deployment ( I always have my pistol). I keep the case in my trunk behind and beneath the folding chairs,plastic tote full of doodads,1st aid kit and seasonal sport flotsam. The car alarm is professionally installed and the volume level is,well,horrific. There is also a powerful strobe in the trunk and passenger compartment. I am careful to make it an unappealing target for theft-no stickers, no items in view. I'm not very concerned about it being broken into at my home for reasons I won't go into. In a public place,especially at night, a thief is unlikely to stay for the show. Edited by Paisan
  • Like 1

I still don't get that. My gun is outside my house, in my car, yards and yards away from me. How exactly does that prepare ME? It prepares the sumbitch breaking into my vehicle FOR me... but it ain't preparing me for anything out there. And if I'm incapable of remembering to take a gun with me when I leave the house (Oh, crap, I forgot it again. Oh, well, I have this one in here anyway, so I'm good), that's not much of a level of "preparedness."

I have more than one gun.

• Like 4

Fun times! 

Not that I think there is a high likelyhood of having a vehicle jacked as a part of the process for a home invasion, but as a matter of principle, I probably wouldn't leave anything that I wouldn't want to face in such a soft target right outside my house.  

Since the question was asked, that is my opinion....  Now, who does what with what is precisely none of my business.

I probably wouldn't leave anything that I wouldn't want to face in such a soft target right outside my house.  

I think of my over achieving car alarm as an early detection system- IF they were not detected long before they reached the vehicles.

I could not agree more. Why risk it?

• Like 2

I could not agree more. Why risk it?

Because some folks would prefer to have a rifle caliber in their vehicle. There's lots of reasons for that. Just because you can't imagine a reason why doesn't mean others can't.

Now, I know it might be hard to visualize a lifestyle different than yours, but we exist; I promise. For those of us who would have to load up multiple children into their truck, it's an extra trip to tote a long gun along. Not to mention, I'd have to go through my stowage concealment procedures each time, which exposes the existence of my long gun to my neighbors each time I load and unload, which is attention I wouldn't want for several reasons. First off, I don't want to freak them out. Secondly, I don't want the teenagers on my street to get the impression I have stuff worth stealing, like a firearm. No, I'd much rather stow and go just once and not deal with the hassle. The spot which it is located is not a place which criminals would be looking for items anyway.

I like having something with punch and round capacity when I leave the safety of my castle. Call me crazy, but I have precious cargo to transport, and I'm gonna equip myself with what tools I have available to me in order to better protect that cargo. So to answer your rhetorical question above, this is why I would risk a $400 truck gun. Lucky for me, there are literally millions of copies of this particular weapon, so I'm confident I'd be able to find another one.

• Like 1

Because some folks would prefer to have a rifle caliber in their vehicle. There's lots of reasons for that. Just because you can't imagine a reason why doesn't mean others can't.

Now, I know it might be hard to visualize a lifestyle different than yours, but we exist; I promise. For those of us who would have to load up multiple children into their truck, it's an extra trip to tote a long gun along. Not to mention, I'd have to go through my stowage concealment procedures each time, which exposes the existence of my long gun to my neighbors each time I load and unload, which is attention I wouldn't want for several reasons. First off, I don't want to freak them out. Secondly, I don't want the teenagers on my street to get the impression I have stuff worth stealing, like a firearm. No, I'd much rather stow and go just once and not deal with the hassle. The spot which it is located is not a place which criminals would be looking for items anyway.

I like having something with punch and round capacity when I leave the safety of my castle. Call me crazy, but I have precious cargo to transport, and I'm gonna equip myself with what tools I have available to me in order to better protect that cargo. So to answer your rhetorical question above, this is why I would risk a $400 truck gun. Lucky for me, there are literally millions of copies of this particular weapon, so I'm confident I'd be able to find another one.

My god I forgot how butt hurt you get. By far one of the top 5 on TGO. The minute someone disagrees with you, you go into defense mode.

What happens when someone breaks into your car and then uses that rifle to mow down a bunch of innocent people. Will you be charged with a crime? Probably not. Will that be on your conscience for the remainder of your life? I know it would bother me.

It's not the cost of the rifle I'm worried about. 

Edited by Erik88

My god I forgot how butt hurt you get. By far one of the top 5 on TGO. The minute someone disagrees with you, you go into defense mode.

What happens when someone breaks into your car and then uses that rifle to mow down a bunch of innocent people. Will you be charged with a crime? Probably not. Will that be on your conscience for the remainder of your life? I know it would bother me.

It's not the cost of the rifle I'm worried about.

The hell are you talking about? You posed a rhetorical question and I gave you an answer. Do you want this to just be a thread in which someone says they do something a certain way and some dick comes along to say how that's stupid? By all means, continue leaving poop all over this thread.

To clarify (because apparently it needs to be done)... MY question was regarding LEAVING it in there at all times. I perfectly understand HAVING it when I'm in the vehicle. The part I do NOT get is the going to bed with it still out there. It's not preparing me for ANYTHING, laying dormant in an area that is not near me. I would feel less comfortable with one of MY weapons outside my home while I'm not able to get it. Of course, I believe most of us have more than one gun. That is not an issue here, either.

Does that help clarify my point?

To clarify (because apparently it needs to be done)... MY question was regarding LEAVING it in there at all times. I perfectly understand HAVING it when I'm in the vehicle. The part I do NOT get is the going to bed with it still out there. It's not preparing me for ANYTHING, laying dormant in an area that is not near me. I would feel less comfortable with one of MY weapons outside my home while I'm not able to get it. Of course, I believe most of us have more than one gun. That is not an issue here, either.

Does that help clarify my point?

I understood what you were saying and I agree. 

I used to, but don't any more. One day several years ago some of us were standing around in the shop BSing. A couple of local LEOs were in the group and somehow the subject came up. They both told us that the vast majority of stolen gun reports they do have the weapon stolen out of a vehicle. Also said that vehicle burglaries are far more common than home burglaries. To my way of thinking, leaving a weapon in something as insecure as a vehicle is irresponsible.

I don't care about the cost of the lost firearm. I just don't like the idea of some criminal out there with one of my guns.

• Like 2

I had a vehicle broken into a few years ago and they got everything in it. I'm glad I had the gun on me instead of in the car. I don't like to leave it in the car if I'm not in there too. The car was only left unattended for about 15 minutes.

• Like 1