Harvest Log

Heads up brother TGO'rs....Was hunting yesterday and got checked by the Game Warden. He asked if we had harvested any deer and my Son said he had back during the bow season. The Warden asked to see his "harvest log", and the deer had not been recorded. My son checked the deer in on his phone and had his reference number. The Warden called it in to verify and it was all correct. However, the Game Warden said that we are "REQUIRED" to maintain the Harvest Log. He had not recorded it on the log and was issued a warning. I kinda smarted off and asked why the hell we have to check in deer AND keep records for TWRA. His answer, because you are. I personally thought those logs were for our use. Apparently us hunter's pay good money to do TWRA's record keeping for them!

So square away those logs boys!

Dave

• Like 1

Page 23 of the hunting guide addresses this...  http://www.tn.gov/twra/pdfs/huntguide.pdf

It says the mobile app contains and should self-populate the harvest log, so that's all the officer should need to see.  Though if you happened to be in the woods with no cell service, I'm not sure where it would go from there. 

If you use regular internet check-in or a physical check station, you must keep your receipt OR fill out a harvest log. 

I looked into it because I don't recall ever hearing/reading about a harvest log before. 

• Like 1

Page 23 of the hunting guide addresses this...  http://www.tn.gov/twra/pdfs/huntguide.pdf

It says the mobile app contains and should self-populate the harvest log, so that's all the officer should need to see.  Though if you happened to be in the woods with no cell service, I'm not sure where it would go from there. 

If you use regular internet check-in or a physical check station, you must keep your receipt OR fill out a harvest log. 

I looked into it because I don't recall ever hearing/reading about a harvest log before.

I agree. I screen shot a copy of my confirmation so it's in my picture gallery, also they email should pull up on your phone even with no service. If he runs your TWRA I.D. number it will pull up everything you've harvested. I mean seriously, how many places does that guy think we need to have it?
  • Like 2

Do we have to have a paper copy of our license if bought online. I have a digital on my phone that's available without signal? Guess I should figure this out before hunting or fishing again.

I do the same thing. I am not going to carry a paper copy when they can obviously see and confirm my license. If they want to be a jerk they can of course, but I don't expect any issues.
  • Like 1

Do we have to have a paper copy of our license if bought online. I have a digital on my phone that's available without signal? Guess I should figure this out before hunting or fishing again.

I've always printed off a copy of the pdf and cut it down so it fits reasonably in my wallet.  It'd be useless if it got wet, but I've also got the hunter's ed course card with my TWRA number so hopefully they could look it up that way.  But more hopefully it wouldn't come to that.

Well, I guess I need to keep a "Harvest Log"! I know it comes with your paper license whether you bought them or printed them online. Just one more piece of crap to keep up with!

Dave

I don't know, still doesn't say you must keep one on your person. The log replaced temp tags, which if I am not mistaken didn't have to be kept on your person once used. Since I hunt my own land, and have a lifetime license, I only had to take it in to a check station or use the internet without a temp tag. Now with the app, you should not need the log or temp tags.

I wonder if the twra guy was my "buddy" who ticketed me for no blaze orange even though on my land none is needed.

Yes, you must have your paper copy, as it is not valid until signed in ink by you. You should be able to go back and print it out.

Dave

I don't know, still doesn't say you must keep one on your person. The log replaced temp tags, which if I am not mistaken didn't have to be kept on your person once used. Since I hunt my own land, and have a lifetime license, I only had to take it in to a check station or use the internet without a temp tag. Now with the app, you should not need the log or temp tags.

I wonder if the twra guy was my "buddy" who ticketed me for no blaze orange even though on my land none is needed.

Could be! So many tickets get wrote for not wearing orange on one's own property it isn't even funny. However, the law doesn't separate "private land" from "public land" when it comes to the requirements for wearing orange. It sucks I know. I got stuck hunting public land this year, and I often wonder if my orange hat, vest and gloves is enough. With so many hunters to put up with, I wonder if daylight orange undies would be worth having as well?

Dave

• Like 1

SO.... Do I understand??????    *as* I possess a license, and am found outside of my house from time to time, I have to carry a harvest log, even if devoid of harvest?

'cuz that's they way they wrote their rules.

If I am on my farm, with my daily carry gat (or not), I can get busted for not having in my possession a printout of a log that is otherwise on-line ??

I hate the reg-guide.

Edited by R_Bert

SO.... Do I understand??????    *as* I possess a license, and am found outside of my house from time to time, I have to carry a harvest log, even if devoid of harvest?

'cuz that's they way they wrote their rules.

If I am on my farm, with my daily carry gat (or not), I can get busted for not having in my possession a printout of a log that is otherwise on-line ??

I hate the reg-guide.

I still think the warden was mistaken, according to this:
http://www.tn.gov/twra/checkinplaceholder.html

More Information

Big game animals shall be checked in at any approved TWRA checking station, on the TWRA website, or by the TWRA mobile application before leaving the state or being gifted to another, and before the end of the calendar day. Evidence of the big game animal’s species and sex must be available for inspection by TWRA personnel until the animal is checked in. After check in, documentation on approved TWRA forms or TWRA mobile application shall be available for inspection by TWRA personnel until time of final processing. This documentation of a confirmed check in shall accompany any big game animals taken to a taxidermist or meat processor.

It all says that the app is sufficient, and then you only have to show proof while transporting the deer. Once it gets to your house and you have processed it, your done. If you leave it at a processor, then you have to leave them a copy to show if needed.
I had my license checked one night fishing this summer and they were happy with a screen shot.

The requirements need to be clearly stated in the guides, the website, and the app prior to the licenses coming out for 2015. Maybe we should contact our wildlife commission reps to be sure they are aware it all needs to be cleaned up and put in plain English and easily found.
http://www.tn.gov/twra/pdfs/commissionzones.pdf

http://www.tn.gov/twra/comnames.html
However a screen shot of the above info would be good also. Dave you ought to see if you can contact that officer and get that to him and discuss it with him by stating you "just want to be sure you're doing it right and you don't want to be on the wrong side of the law"

Discussion out of the "field" may help. He may just not be aware and my live by the mantra of not having court on the side of the road (or woods) whether he's right or wrong.

All these different "requirements" is what makes people nervous about guys in green pants. Which bring up a story. One of the loggers on my lease had green pants on one day when I rolled up on my 4 wheeler a couple weeks back while they were eating lunch . And I said "dude, seriously you make me a little uneasy with them green britches on. You look like some kinda game warden or something and I ain't don't nothin' wrong but still" he just laughed and all the other guys made jokes at him.
  • Like 1

I had my license checked one night fishing this summer and they were happy with a screen shot.

The requirements need to be clearly stated in the guides, the website, and the app prior to the licenses coming out for 2015. Maybe we should contact our wildlife commission reps to be sure they are aware it all needs to be cleaned up and put in plain English and easily found.
http://www.tn.gov/twra/pdfs/commissionzones.pdf

http://www.tn.gov/twra/comnames.html

You said clearly stated.... in plain English no less....    :rofl:

:-\