Are all U-Haul rentals the same?

ncomarc

My family will be moving into our new home hopefully by the 12th of December if everything goes as planned. There are several furniture items from Ikea in Atlanta that my wife and daughter would like. Any tips on a one way rental from Atlanta to Nolensville that I should know or things to avoid? Thanks for any advice.
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Look into both 1-way and local rentals.  Sometimes a 1-way rental will be more expensive if the location you pick wants that truck back.  Unless they're really big items, you might be able to rent (or even borrow) a trailer that the stuff would fit in. 

I've used Budget trucks both times I helped my parents move in the past (this yr and a few yrs ago). First move was from WV to FL and then from FL to TN. Both times Budget was much cheaper than uhaul, and plus, the truck we used was diesel and got better fuel milage than a gas. 

I've used Budget trucks both times I helped my parents move in the past (this yr and a few yrs ago). First move was from WV to FL and then from FL to TN. Both times Budget was much cheaper than uhaul, and plus, the truck we used was diesel and got better fuel milage than a gas. 

Second this. Get a diesel and I've used budget twice now with good luck.

I use to be a U-Haul dealer and if your coming from Atlanta to  Smyrna the one way will be much cheaper. Any time you are renting one way coming to the middle of the country the rentals are cheaper. Reason being that the dealer that will be receiving the truck can send it in many different directions on next rental. If you were renting a truck going to Atlanta it would be higher. I would rent it one way from Atlanta to Smyrna and by all means request a diesel if one is available at the dealer there. If not contact the dealer and ask if one can be brought from another dealer/ They most times will have one brought there for you if you reserve it........Hope this helps.

As a vendor for both U-haul and Penske at one time I went to both for rates to move here from Cali, and even with the vendor rates the u-haul was going to be much higher than a penske rental, they also use diesel power for the one way rentals and all are top notch trucks, U-haul charges miles plus daily cost and Penske like mention about budget only charges a daily rental, which was much cheaper than a u-haul, look at all of them then decide as there is more than 2 options out there to haul your stuff.  And even as strange as it might sound look into something like the T.V. program there might be someone out there that needs to fill a load coming here and will haul it for cheap, you could look and post a ad on craigslist, and only pay once you get your stuff.  Just another option good luck on your decision.

Thanks fellas, lots of good information and some was never on my radar. Think I got a game plan now. FWIW - if you want only a few things from Ikea, Modern Nash by the Nashville zoo makes a few trips a week and will even assemble for a fee. Since I'm looking at two bedrooms plus odds and ends I'd rather do everything myself.
The last two times I tried to use U-haul they didn't have the trailer ready / available when we showed up at the pick up time. Both times we had to drive across town to another U-haul store to get a different trailer. On the last one, we drove across town and were told it would be $400 to rent after reserving it for $150. They were total jerks both times. I would recommend trying one of the other vendors listed by some of the folks above.