Tech savy gurus I need advise

jphillips63

I'm on satellite Internet and I'm looking at getting the most out of the speed as possible. So right now I have 100' cat 5 line run from my modem to a wireless router to my room where my computer and TV is at. I'd like to change the cat 5 cable out for cat 7, is this possible? Are the connectors the same is my main concern.
Next is my router, I don't recall the model but it's a Belkin and an older model to boot. I'd like to upgrade this and see if I can also get higher speeds thru wifi connection for my new 4K TV I just installed.
So my question on this what's the best router with highest output ratings I can use for in home use?
I don't understand the difference between "N" and "AC" either.

Thanks in advance.
  • Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The bottleneck is your Internet. Its likely your cat5 cable is actually enhanced which means that it supports up to 1000 Mbps and if not, it would support up to 100 Mbps. Your Internet speed is only 12 Mbps max.

As far as N and AC go, you will only see an internal speed increase using AC devices and most devices are still G/N.

Cat 5 cable can run at 1 Gig download speed and mine is connected at that-So you really dont need Cat 7.My Wi-Fi in the bedroom is usually running on N at 40MBS with a connection of 300MBS capable-therefore there is a reduction of quite a bit with a wireless connection.In short a Cat 7 cable will afford no improvement.

Regular ends do not work on cat7, cat7 has shielding on each pair.

I would use cat 6 and put cat 6 jacks and use cat 6 patch cords.

I don't like using rj45's on solid cable, they are designed for stranded cable.

They do work, but have a tendency to break the solid conductors when plugged in and out multiple times.

Edited by f3joel

As others have opined, your Internet speed is the bottleneck. Cat6A and Cat7 are good for 10 GbE speeds on your Local Area Network, but do nothing for your connection to your ISP and is an expense that you can do without. When I worked small business accounts I handled these kinds of calls frequently. There are some WAN acceleration products out there, but it's pretty useless and expensive for home applications, and I don't know if any apply to sat systems which are usually more asymetrical in their upload/download speeds, (like 2/12). You might be able to set some Quality of Service (QoS) settings in your Belkin, but considering your network I doubt that would be helpful.

802.11N is up to 600 Mbps and 802.11AC is currently up to 1.3 Gbps: however, there are NOT that many client devices coming with 802.11AC cards in them yet. The thing about wireless is that the client closest to the access point will run "faster" than clients further away and thus eat bandwidth, but with 2 devices I don't think that would be much of a problem. Again, your Belkin may not offer anything to assign QoS to types of traffic, so to keep everything even make sure one client is not significantly closer to the access point than the other and assuming that there are no sources of interference such as a microwave or cordless phone in operation.