Climbing treestand

Looking at a new climber since mine got busted a couple of weeks ago.... Need some opinions for those who have used the couple I am looking at, or other options.

up

The climber I had was a Northstar Traveling Star - about 10 years old, company has went out of business but it was a good stand overall. The platform was 20" by 28" and it always seemed a bit too small when I was standing so one feature on my wish list is a 20"x30" or 35" platform.

I know Summit is one of the best brands out there and I have some experience with the brand. Also discovered Treewalker stands and very positive reviews online and from a couple of guys I know that have used one previously (no longer have them for me to test out).

Weight is important, the lighter the better. Treewalker is listed at 19 pounds, the few Summits are about 22 pounds. I don't walk miles so that is probably irrelevant but would not want any heavier - I owned a 27 pound stand once and hated it.

Here is what I have found so far:

1. Treewalker ProMag XL  http://www.treewalkertreestands.com/detail.asp?sku=ProMag%20XL&r1=chillpad&r2=crossbowholder&r3=padstrap-upgrade

I like the large 20"x35" platform and only 19 pounds. I selected the XL model for the removable front bar and shooting rail. The price is more than what I wanted to spend, but could justify that by getting a stand that will last for years plus this is a TN company.

2. Summit 180 Max SD. http://www.summitstands.com/summit-180-max-sd-climbing-treestand-mossy-oakr-camp

Wider platform at 21"x30.75". The wrap around padded seat looks comfortable. Same price concern.

3. Summit Viper SD (also seen the Viper Class which has a 20"x35" platform). http://www.summitstands.com/summit-viper-sd-climbing-treestand-mossy-oakr-camo

Platform on the SD is 20"x28.75" so this is not any larger than what I had. I listed the Classic model because it has a larger platform, but what little information I found shows it weighs 25 pounds versus the 20 pounds that this SD weighs. Price of either version is more in the price range I hoped for.

Anyone have experience with these models? Anything else I should look at? NOT interested in Ole Man climbers.

Is there any place in the Middle TN area that I could look at these and sit in them? Academy, Bass Pro, etc. might have a display model but not any that can be tested.

ETA - the Treewalker has the webbing seat which I have no experience with, my other stands have all been padded. If I go with one of these I plan to get the ChillPad listed on their site so not sure if the webbing is really an issue, aside from the concern of how well it will hold up to elements?

Edited by jonathon1289
I have a 10 or so yr old viper and still like it. It's not too heavy, and is seriously comfortable if you're an all day sitter. Only thing I've replaced were the pads on the rails and upgraded the foot stirrup from the old web to their newer hooks. Seat is still as good as when I bought it. It usually gets left in the woods with a trash bag covering the seat for the duration of bow season.

Think I paid $219 for it then as it was the top of the line, and looks like prices are still similar.

+1 for any summit stand I'd say.

I've got a Summit Viper, It's one of the earlier models once they switched from steel to aluminum. I'm not sure about the weight but it's not a bad stand to haul. My only gripe is the backpack straps, I've had the idea to retrofit some padded backpack straps onto it since the first time I carried it but have never done it.One thing I do wish it had is the footrest add-on that the newer model Vipers I've seen have. I haven't looked close at them and it might be something that I could add onto mine but? Mine and the other 2-3 Summit stands that I have hunted out of have been the most comfortable I have ever sat in. I have hunted out of a few Ole Man climbers as well as several others that I honestly don't remember what they were and out of those the Summit is hands down my first choice. I reckon I'm not to much help since I've never used a Treewalker stand that I know of but thought I'd give you my experiences with Summit climbers. I'm interested in hearing what anyone has to say about the treewalkers though as I've  been thinking about picking up another climber so that I don't have to move one stand from property to property. As popular as the Summit stands are I'm sure there is someone closer than I am that has one but if not, you are more than welcome to borrow mine to hunt out of a few times if you want to try before you buy. I've got plenty of hunting options so it wouldn't be a problem for me to go without my climber for a few days to a week. Just let me know if that would be of any help to you.

Summit Titan here with a Hazmore Silent Seat installed which is pretty much the best thing I've ever done to a stand! No more metal hooks or buckles to clank around & it shaved a half pound off the weight.
If I've got to do much in the way of hiking in to my location, I also use a Lone Wolf hand climber. Not as comfy, but it packs down flat & is waaay lighter.
If I could only have one climber though, it would hands down be the Summit.
Used both. Summit makes a great stand but it's not in the same league with a treewalker. Hands down best stand out there. No one else comes close to their size at their weight. Without a doubt the most stable stand in the tree available. Call Jerry, the owner, he'll get you set-up.

Left Summit for API "grand slam". I'll never go back.

Tell me about the API - I have seen the name but not heard a whole lot. I will look that model up.

I decided there is no real reason to buy a stand right now, waiting until at least January when things go on sale, so taking my time to research the various models and features.