? .22 ?

I believe it's slowly getting back to normal... I just bought 500 quiet cci rounds last wednesday and I saw another store advertising that they just got in a shipment of standard velocity ccis....   I think right now it's more about where you live

I tried to find an emoji that represented living under a rock or waking from a coma after several years, but couldn't find one. :rolleyes:

Just kidding! But if you had to ask this, there's probably an awful lot you are missing out on besides ammo shortages. Politics, knife laws, war, terrorism, race riots, etc. I recommend reading TGO daily, and you should be back up to speed in a few weeks.
  • Like 11
Academy in Cool Springs has a couple varieties of Aguila .22LR. The cheapest I saw was $3.99 for a box of 50 Lead, or $4.99 for 50 jacketed. They are not in the back with the rest of the ammo. They are right up front at the customer service desk. They had several thousand of each.

I think 22 is getting a bit easier to find. I have a brick coming right now from Cabellas and another from Gander Mountain on the way. I have had almost no success finding it in stores but see it every few days online. Hate having to pay shipping but it is still cheaper than running around everywhere looking for it.

Up in Sevier Co, my father says he has no problem getting any 22.  Several stores to choose from, and always in Stock.  Buds, Bass Pro, J Floyds, and of course the many little man entrepreneurs have them too (flea market).  He is particular for a certain type of CCI, and says Buds has plenty at a reasonable price.  Don't know about the rest of the state.

• Like 1
I don't wanna call your father a liar but.... well maybe he's half right. I live in Sevier county and it's not quite like that. You can certainly find it fairly easy at Buds, J Floyds, or SMKW if you're willing to pay about .10 a round. If you want a reasonable price, Wal-Mart or Bass Pro, You need to be there right when, or maybe within 30 mins of it being put out, otherwise you get none.

Edit: I don't consider .10 a round or more reasonable, ymmv.

Edit 2.0: I've probably been to these stores 100+ times in the past 2 years, Wal-Mart probly 200+, I check every time I go. Edited by spazz023
"....Edit: I don't consider .10 a round or more reasonable, ymmv.

Edit 2.0: I've probably been to these stores 100+ times in the past 2 years, Wal-Mart probly 200+, I check every time I go.
[/quote]

Take into account the time you've wasted and the gas costs.

I did the store rounds for a while. Gave it up. Just too demanding of my time. I could have been doing other things much more important and enjoyable.

As far as 10 cents a round...it's coming. I have no doubt of it. Edited by hipower
  • Like 1

I have actually seen it for 1 dollar a round. I repeat, ONE DOLLAR PER ROUND at a shop in Dandridge. When I first saw that I had to go back outside and see if the world ended, it didn't. 

I am still shocked and embarrassed for the town.

Meh, I don't really take gas into consideration as I wasn't going just to search for .22. Wal-Mart is at least a weekly trip guaranteed, and my son likes to go look at the fishies, so I'm out a lot.

I don't think that .10 will be the norm. I think we'll end up around .06 to .08. Wal-Mart had those new black box 100 round packs for 7.99 recently, and they were theoretically new production. So if they aren't charging .10 a round for CCI SV, I'd imagine that they won't charge .10 for m22 or remington, etc.

Of course all it would take is another Sandy Hook, or Hillary election and all bets are off at that point....
There won't be a new norm unless we allow there to be. I did spend up to $0.08 per round on a few occasions during the worst of it, to make sure I'd have enough for the kids and new shooters that I train, but after my stock was adequate I quit buying and won't buy more until I see it for $0.06 or less per round, delivered. It may take a while but sooner or later everyone will have a stash and demand will drop, it won't sell for high prices, and prices will then come back down, supply will return to normal. Just look at the AR 15 market as a great example.

I understand the skepticism, I also understand throwing the dog off the hunt too ;) .  I haven't been hurt by any of this 22 fiasco, but I also understand the retail market pricing may never return to the old.  So the new retail price maybe the norm. 

I was hopeful that prices would be back down by this time, but we're what, 2 years in, and supply is barely any better with manufacturers running at full capacity. Whatever the reason, hoarders, scalpers, new shooters, more hi cap semi autos, it's barely better than it was.

Like I said before, when you can find it at big box stores it's gone within 30 minutes, at I'd say between .05 and .06 a round. That leads me to believe that the price is too low and the market will bear more. There are plenty of places that have it in stock constantly for .10 a round, which says to me the price is too high. So I'm sticking with a normalized price of .06 to .08.

Whether that happens next week or another 2 years from now, who knows.

I was hopeful that prices would be back down by this time, but we're what, 2 years in, and supply is barely any better with manufacturers running at full capacity. Whatever the reason, hoarders, scalpers, new shooters, more hi cap semi autos, it's barely better than it was.

Like I said before, when you can find it at big box stores it's gone within 30 minutes, at I'd say between .05 and .06 a round. That leads me to believe that the price is too low and the market will bear more. There are plenty of places that have it in stock constantly for .10 a round, which says to me the price is too high. So I'm sticking with a normalized price of .06 to .08.

Whether that happens next week or another 2 years from now, who knows.

22 lr is the world's most popular caliber for shooting, at least in the civilian market. The quantity of guns and shooters that need 22 lr is beyond comprehension. The manufacturing industry was scaled based on the amount of 22 lr that people actually consumed or shot during normal times, which is nowhere near enough to allow everyone to build up a big stash. So the demand has been artificially high with most people hoarding far more and shooting the same or less than they used to, and thus it could well take a few more years until everyone has a big enough stash to quit buying at the inflated prices. We are already at or nearing that point now, because plenty of places have it in stock for $0.10 per round, so as soon as that stuff quits selling the market will be more saturated with product and the hoarding / panic buying will slow down, and prices will drop. If the manufacturers felt that the demand would be constantly higher and that prices would be permanently higher, they would have invested in more production capacity to reap the profits. They know it ain't so, thus the manufacturing has been steady, and it will just take a bit longer for the market to stabilize. But if all or most of you are willing to accept and pay higher prices and you continue to do so, then you will be rewarded with a self fulfilling prophecy.

What is normalized pricing for 22?  Pre-Sandy?  Pre-2012 Election?  Pre-2008 Election?  Pre-2000s?  Pre-1990s?  Pre-1980s?  Pre-1970s?  See where I am going? 

I have a lot of 22, maybe a life time supply, all of which were bought in the past 20-30 years.  Some "bricks" have a Kmart price tag at $5.97 a brick of 500.  So does that mean that any 22 ammo north of $0.0119 a round is not normal for "me"?  I don't think so.  If I was out of 22 ammo, and I needed the ammo, like really really needed it, then I would be faced of having no ammo or paying $10 for a box of 100.  Just like gas back in 2008, I had a choice, of sitting at home or paying $3.75 a gallon of gas (actually $4.25 for diesel).  Many people grumbled when gas touched/kissed $3.75 a gallon in 2008, but they paid it, and now it may fall below $2, but rest assured gas will return to $3+ gallon some day.  Will we buy it then?  Yep.  So my only comment, if you need 22 ammo now, it is all based upon the seriousness of your wanter.  That is all.  As for me, just like Rhett Butler said in his final line of Gone with the Wind,"...Frankly......"  you fill in the blank.  :rock:

That's assuming production stays the same. Lets get hypothetical here. Let's say I'm the largest producer of .22 in the USA and right now I'm running at 100% capacity producing a million rounds a day. The market pays me .03 a round because demand is so high.

Now let's pretend that there are indications that the market is getting saturated with .22 and I assume that the big boys are going start buying at .02 a round.

Why at this point would I continue to distribute 100% of my product? I could store half of my inventory keeping demand high, eventually slowing down production and costs to myself. Could this already happening?

This isn't a response to anyone, just throwing that out there for thoughts. Edited by spazz023

I'm just wondering why the can't make enough...

And to answer your questions, I just got a .22 rifle in a trade the other day from another member. That's the first .22 I've owned, call me a weirdo, but I just never had one. Anything I kill takes more than .22, or is just plain easier with a shotgun. Mostly traded him because it was a cool gun and will be fun for my sons and nephew to shoot. So although I was unaffected by the craziness since I had plenty of 5.56 and the other calibers I need.... I've just not bought any .22 up until now. AND STILL HAVEN'T! I guess I'll look at PSA and such.

I just received an email from Midway that my case order of Winchester 555 bulk boxes has finally shipped. Took more than a year to ship, but it finally did. Price with shipping was less than $.05 per round. I noticed that the current pricing listed on the site is about 5% higher than the price I bought it for, but it's still not in stock and back orders still not accepted. So $.06 might become the new shipped price until demand is finally met.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk