License Fee increase

Well if they do that, then I'll not bow hunt, and will ML hunt on my own property.

Will buy the H & F licesne & the BG tag. Then agin I may just hunt my own place altoghter and tell 'em to pound sand.

Feel sorry for those who don't own their own land.

Edited by Sidinman
  • Like 1

When would that go through and would it be effective immediately for the 2015-2016 year?

Article I read said July 2015, so if you buy your licenses early you'll beat the increase should they do it.  

While I don't like the increase, I can understand it.  It's been 10 years since the last increase.  Instead of a massive increase every 10 years or so, why not a smaller increase of a dollar every year or two.

• Like 1

Article I read said July 2015, so if you buy your licenses early you'll beat the increase should they do it.

While I don't like the increase, I can understand it. It's been 10 years since the last increase. Instead of a massive increase every 10 years or so, why not a smaller increase of a dollar every year or two.

Thats right Tennessee year runs July 1 thru June 30 so of this passes buy you sports man's License in march save some money

Holy crap. This better be one tasty deer if I ever get one. I think I could have had a live Kobe cow shipped in from Japan and custom butchered for what it's costing me to get in to deer hunting. So far I have to say that I'm not enjoying it enough to keep dropping so much coin on it every year. I know a lot is sunk costs in equipment, but taking the rates up will only make me less likely to get a license each year.

Holy crap. This better be one tasty deer if I ever get one. I think I could have had a live Kobe cow shipped in from Japan and custom butchered for what it's costing me to get in to deer hunting. So far I have to say that I'm not enjoying it enough to keep dropping so much coin on it every year. I know a lot is sunk costs in equipment, but taking the rates up will only make me less likely to get a license each year.

For many of us, it isn't about the meat, it is about the enjoyment of hunting in general.  I don't like deer meat other than if I get it made into summer sausage sticks.  I usually donate one to Hunters for the Hungry and get sausage (and keep the loins) out of another.  It certainly isn't saving money, but I just love being in the woods.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 2

For many of us, it isn't about the meat, it is about the enjoyment of hunting in general.  I don't like deer meat other than if I get it make into summer sausage sticks.  I usually donate one to Hunters for the Hungry and get sausage (and keep the loins) out of another.  It certainly isn't saving money, but I just love being in the woods.

I agree, the cost for  the amount of time I spend on the water and in the woods is small. I don't always buy my big game stamps because I don't always get to hunt. I have not been once this year but I have wore the lakes and rivers out.

In my home state of WV a sportsmans license is $35 and includes all big game and 1 antlered deer. Antlerless is $10 each and extra bucks are $21 so with 3 Buck and 3 Does and state limit turkeys small game and fishing. You've only paid $128.

I think $166 is a bit steep but I'd say it's going to pass. If you're a permanent resident you'd be better off buying a lifetime if you can scrape up the cash

I will probably scrape enough together to buy a lifetime license before July.  I am heavily considering selling my house in the next year where I am now and moving to the relative boonies where I can get 100 acres or so.  If I do that, I don't need a license, but I suppose it never hurts to have the lifetime if I ever decide to hunt other areas.

166 dollars for a resident hunting license to hunt everything for just a year?  That is crazy.  These guys better open up night hunting for coyotes and lengthen some deer seasons to make this increase worthwhile.  I could kill a whole lot of coyotes if I could hunt them at night on my lease. I can't believe that the TWRA is not making any money from all the ammo sales this past couple of years.

• Like 1
Guest livefreeordie1

Makes me glad I bought each of my three sons a lifetime license when they were little.  $200 each.  Also reminds me why I only hunt deer on my own place anymore.

I don't know if it is that out of line.  A membership at ORSA is $120 a year then $10 for most events or if a shotgunner additional money for targets.  Not complaining one bit.....fair prices.  To have the ability to hunt/fish just about everything/everywhere for $$45 more doesn't seem unreasonable to me.  I could probably seperate it out and get by on less, but I do like the convienience.  It has been a while since an increase.  Not sure about the increase in ammo sales either, since we were all just recently complaining about availability.

Ya'll need to remember that if any of you are nearing 65 even with the increase you can get a Senior License and never have to buy another unless your going after big game. Small game and fishing is for life. I am glad I got mine for $11.00 so won't have to buy another. Not all I need to do is make it through January and be fixed up  so I can feel more like fishing I have only been fishing twice since I got the license but have not felt like it either. Maybe January will  help that.................. :up:  :up: 

For many of us, it isn't about the meat, it is about the enjoyment of hunting in general.  I don't like deer meat other than if I get it made into summer sausage sticks.  I usually donate one to Hunters for the Hungry and get sausage (and keep the loins) out of another.  It certainly isn't saving money, but I just love being in the woods.

I would hate to see what deer meat cost per pound after factoring in the cost of a gun, fuel, ammo, processing, and such.  $25 a pound? Would be cheaper to buy a cow.

• Like 3

166 dollars for a resident hunting license to hunt everything for just a year?  That is crazy.  These guys better open up night hunting for coyotes and lengthen some deer seasons to make this increase worthwhile.  I could kill a whole lot of coyotes if I could hunt them at night on my lease. I can't believe that the TWRA is not making any money from all the ammo sales this past couple of years.

I wouldn't mind paying it in a way, if I could shoot pigs, but we can't. These changes will be pretty hard on low income folks hunting for meat. I see an increase in poaching coming!

Dave

• Like 1

I agree Dave. Most people pay $150 plus to hunt out of state, and I will admit the price of a license is reaching the top of what I will pay. Any more of an increase and I will start hunting out of state. Maybe go to states that have a history of growing larger deer. All of the people I know don't hunt to feed their family. Yeah they hunt and their families do eat the meat but they don't count on the meat to make it through the year. The people that can't afford to pay will hunt anyway.

• Like 1

I agree Dave. Most people pay $150 plus to hunt out of state, and I will admit the price of a license is reaching the top of what I will pay. Any more of an increase and I will start hunting out of state. Maybe go to states that have a history of growing larger deer. All of the people I know don't hunt to feed their family. Yeah they hunt and their families do eat the meat but they don't count on the meat to make it through the year. The people that can't afford to pay will hunt anyway.

I agree 100%

Dave

I would want to know what we are getting, in specific budget line items, for the increased $.

As a project manager, I could not just raise rates without providing detail and justification to the client (citizen public), the sponsor (legislature), and the team stakeholders (TWRC).

Only one cup of coffee, and have not looked closely (nor word-smithed) - but these come to mind -

What is at threat given no increase, for example -

• what areas will close, or further gated off.
  • what roads will deteriorate
  • what food plots, habitat improvement be abandoned
  • what public interaction will be curtailed
  • what regulations will see increased restriction

what benefit  is improved upon funding increase -

• Inverse of above

and what new benefit is added upon funding increase? 

• what new areas will be opened or access extended (ex. current gates opened)
  • what new species will receive focused management (ex quail, grouse, other declining populations)
  • how many staff will be added, and where, and what program
  • what regulations will see decreased restriction

And yes, this is a progressive tax, punitive to the lower pay-level households.  And..  the obvious - leads to less participation (legally permitted anyway).

Edited by R_Bert
  • Like 2