Shockwave Blade Approved ... BUT...

I'm thinking that one might not be approved anyway. The Sig does a much better job of pretending to not be a stock.

At the end of the day I think if Sig thought they could get away with having a "more stockish" brace, they would already. Seems to me that Sig is leading the march these days against BATFE stupidity in a lot of ways. Between their lawsuit over their integral brake/baffles and the whole brace thing in general.

I wish this new business the best, if nothing else I would predict that it will help bring the pricing on sig braces down a peg to the $50-$75 range where IMO they belong. I'd also be interested in trying the new one at least once. I didn't think much of the sig either the first time I saw it, but it's proven to be an effective option so goes to show what I know.

As far as wrapping the sling around the wrist, (crickets). Seems janky, especially so when you consider they recommend securing it in place with your thumb of your shooting hand. Lame as can be IMO. .16¢ Worth of nylon strap and .9¢ of Velcro could have made that whole idea much more viable.

Thought this was a joke until I saw the second pic. Either way, still better looking than Sig brace in my opinion.

Better looking but that thin ridge misused against the shoulder surely can't be as comfy.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2
[quote name="Oh Shoot" post="1190062" timestamp="1410829134"]Better looking but that thin ridge misused against the shoulder surely can't be as comfy. - OS[/quote] I agree with you completely. While I realize the cost/utility value of the sig brace for making a "pseudo-sbr" vs. the cost of the nfa tribut......tax....I've just never been a fan of the psuedo-sbr trend nor the AR pistol. Just a preference thing I reckon.

I agree with you completely. While I realize the cost/utility value of the sig brace for making a "pseudo-sbr" vs. the cost of the nfa tribut......tax....I've just never been a fan of the psuedo-sbr trend nor the AR pistol. Just a preference thing I reckon.

Well, I do like SBRs, but not willing to jump through the hoops before making one and even worse, after. I liked my AR pistol before, but love it now:

ARpistol-final.jpg

- OS

• Like 1

[quote name="Oh Shoot" post="1190113" timestamp="1410835836"]Well, I [i]do[/i] like SBRs, but not willing to jump through the hoops before making one and even [i]worse[/i], after. I liked my AR pistol before, but [i]love[/i] it now: ARpistol-final.jpg - OS[/quote] Is that a vertical grip? If not what the heck is it?

Is that a vertical grip? If not what the heck is it?

Perfectly legal.

The gun in the picture is NOT a "pistol". It IS a "firearm" and the only restriction on a "firearm" is it must be at least 26" overall. And although it is illegal to put a VFG on a "pistol" it is perfectly legal on a "firearm".

Yep. Or maybe to be more precise, it's only a "firearm" when the VFG is attached. Magically goes back to being a "handgun" when it is removed.

None of the federal definitions have changed. There is still no barrel length or OAL minimum or maximum for a "handgun". The 26"/VFG thang is just a narrow interpretative exception to AOW status. Also, can't be concealed on the person in "firearm" mode or it loses that exception.

Before the car carry law changed, I actually took it off before transporting (it's QD), as it was technically not a "handgun", "rifle", or "shotgun" with the VFG attached, the only things allowed to be carried loaded in vehicle with permit. Not that any local LEOs were necessarily likely to actually know that, but did it anyway just to cover all the bases.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Not that I would ever want to arbitrarily just toss my gun but there's something about a gun that is tethered to your arm that has always concerned me.  Maybe it's the LEO in me.  I've never had to toss my weapon in my career but I've sure as crap have had to toss my flashlights, asps, ticket books and other items I've had in my hands and go hand to hand ASAP... like to call it "sugar to sheot" ... can happen in a blink of an eye.

Reminds me of my old skateboarding days... I use to do a lot of ramp boardning, others had skates tied to their feet... always felt better to me I could kick the board out away from me so easily when those guys with skates were stuck with riding those puppies into the ground ;o)

Not that I would ever want to arbitrarily just toss my gun but there's something about a gun that is tethered to your arm that has always concerned me.  ..

You'd possibly be the only person in the state that would have it on your arm to begin with. :)

But it also begs the question, if you told someone strapped into one to "DROP YOUR WEAPON!!", but he couldn't! :) :)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 4
[quote name="Oh Shoot" post="1190178" timestamp="1410871689"]You'd possibly be the only person in the state that would have it on your arm to begin with. :) But it also begs the question, if you told someone strapped into one to "DROP YOUR WEAPON!!", but he couldn't! :) :) - OS[/quote] Reminds me of the scene from Fargo (the TV show)!

But it also begs the question, if you told someone strapped into one to "DROP YOUR WEAPON!!", but he couldn't! :) :)

- OS

Worse yet, how bout "Hey, show me your hands"  ... Ok as gun is coming up in compliance...  "gun gun gun!" pop pop pop... There's accidental shootings with folks with cell phones in their hands... Hell Stevie Wonder could see a 26" AR ;o)

• Like 1

Not that I would ever want to arbitrarily just toss my gun but there's something about a gun that is tethered to your arm that has always concerned me.  Maybe it's the LEO in me.  I've never had to toss my weapon in my career but I've sure as crap have had to toss my flashlights, asps, ticket books and other items I've had in my hands and go hand to hand ASAP... like to call it "sugar to sheot" ... can happen in a blink of an eye.

Reminds me of my old skateboarding days... I use to do a lot of ramp boardning, others had skates tied to their feet... always felt better to me I could kick the board out away from me so easily when those guys with skates were stuck with riding those puppies into the ground ;o)

It wasn't exactly designed for defense situations.  It was designed to allow people with disabilities to shoot better at the range.  

• 3 months later...

Like many topics in this forum, this isn't exactly an NFA issue, but could be, so I'm putting it here.

So the Shockwave Blade

Blade-AR-pic-4.jpg

has been approved for use on a pistol, but ruling letter states "provided the Blade AR Pistol Stabilizer is used as originally designed and NOT used as a shoulder stock."

http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/?p=2114

(first page image is mislinked to second when you try to get full size, here is direct link for first page: http://shockwavetechnologies.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/IMG_1055.jpg )

There will be a court suit to decide this "usage" thing eventually. We now have conflicting ruling letters about the method of the use of a product on a firearm as separate from the mere legality of having it on the firearm. The second ruling on the SIG brace was that "improperly" using it did not change the classification of the firearm. Now we have this and the Black Aces ruling which say usage determines legality, in essence that "improper" use would change the classification of the firearm to an SBR.

Never in history of ATF has it attempted to limit how a firearm is utilized, only whether the configuration is legal or not. I suspect anyone charged for illegal usage of a legally configured firearm would not be convicted. But if they were, seems would be stuck down on appeal, and that would be validated by SCOTUS if the feds took it that far. I can see no justification in the USC whatsover to support that kind of stand.

There is no difference between this and shooting a stocked weapon from the hip, a handgun with two hands, or the feller who fires his 1911 with his feet, so they could say those behaviors are illegal also.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 3
I know this isn't solely the problem as the ATF is nothing but a bumbling, contradictory bunch...but I really wish people would stop screwing with a good thing.

The Black Ace Tactical guys were trying to use the brace on a SBS. Now these guys at shockwave are trying to cash in on some of the Sig brace success. Leave well enough alone already. Guess I just need to get that trust set up and file a form one.