Constitutional Carry in TN

From Before It's News: "Bill Haslam actually promised the Tennessee Firearms Association that he would sign into law legislation adopting “Constitutional Carry” when such legislation came to him. ...

What you probably fail to grok is how securely he has the power to control what legislation gets to his desk, through Beth Harwell and other trusted sycophants. The House Finance Ways and Means committee is literally his personal graveyard for anything he actually opposes, regardless of what he says to the press.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 10

I've been researching it on Google. I'll checks some of the threads too.

One thing to consider is that the permit process in Tennessee brings a moderate amount of cash flow to the state, $115. for first applicants and $50. renewal every 4 years. That's $50 x 450,000+ permit holders in a 4 year period. No true politician wants to endanger a cash cow like that, Constitutional carry may very well lower the number of new applicants and number of renewals, reducing the dollars the state gets from the handgun carry permit program.

Also Haslam IS NOT a pro-gun Governor, he knows he has to pander to the republican base to keep his job so he pretends to be pro-gun.

• Like 4

There is one word you will never, EVER, hear Obama say and that is "Liberty".  I'm all for it. If you have earned the right to own and carry a firearm you should not be hindered. Our Constitution and Bill of Rights is one of the greatest documents ever written in the history of mankind.  The men who wrote it were a lot smarter than anyone gives them credit for. Just read some of the things they wrote. Brilliant!

Edited by Will Carry
  • Like 2
  • Administrator

One thing to consider is that the permit process in Tennessee brings a moderate amount of cash flow to the state, $115. for first applicants and $50. renewal every 4 years. That's $50 x 450,000+ permit holders in a 4 year period. No true politician wants to endanger a cash cow like that, Constitutional carry may very well lower the number of new applicants and number of renewals, reducing the dollars the state gets from the handgun carry permit program.

Also Haslam IS NOT a pro-gun Governor, he knows he has to pander to the republican base to keep his job so he pretends to be pro-gun.

This is all you really need to know about why it will never happen in Tennessee.  There's far too much money being made.

• Like 7
  • Administrator

How would it affect pistol-carry reciprocity with other states if the permit were nix'd?

You really need look no further than our neighbor to the immediate north.  I was born and raised in Kentucky.  Lived there for about 24 years.  Kentucky supports Constitutional Carry for openly displayed handguns.  The permit in Kentucky, which generates a nice bit of revenue for the Commonwealth, is for concealment.

Tennessee could easily adopt the same stance here, but likely will not anytime soon.  It would be simple to make open carry legal without a permit for any resident of the State, and require a permit if you desire to conceal it.

• Like 3

I've been researching it on Google. I'll checks some of the threads too.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/76389-gun-rights-can-we-make-a-difference-for-tennessee/

It was attempted but lacked the required support.

I don’t think it had anything to do with revenue generation. More people would carry, which would mean more people would want an HCP so they could carry in other states. I think the revenue would increase. But it would allow those that can’t afford to buy the privilege from the state to have the same ability to protect their selves and their families those of us who are fortunate enough to be able to afford it have.

I don’t buy the “baby steps” nonsense; It is time for Tennessee to enact legislation that recognizes the 2nd amendment as an individual right. (Not just the “keep” part, but the “bear” part also)
  • Like 1

How would it affect pistol-carry reciprocity with other states if the permit were nix'd?

Exactly why Constitutional carry is not a be all, end all. You would still need a permit to carry in other states, and many states don't issue non-resident permits, so you would still need a home state permit.

Thing is, I want to keep the HCP simply for the reciprocity to carry in other states that recognize our TNHCP.

So if we can get CC for both open and concealed, but also have the permit system simply for the reciprocity, that would be nice.

I just don't know if it would make sense after CC to have a TNHCP for the state, though. Edited by JohnC
  • Administrator

I just don't know if it would make sense after CC to have a TNHCP for the state, though.

Again, if we did it like Kentucky does, it would be a win-win.  Carry openly for free, a la the Constitution.  Carry concealed for a fee, a la TN permit.  The way Kentucky does it makes a lot of sense and scratches both itches, and it takes a lot out of me to say that something Kentucky does makes sense.  There's not much else the Commonwealth does that I particularly agree with.

The bonus would be that Tennessee would be issuing a CCP that could still be recognized for reciprocity by other states.  People who want to travel and still carry would pony up the money to get a CCP.  The people who are comfortable with open carry and don't want to be on a government register for having a permit, would just continue to do so but only inside the state borders.

Unfortunately it makes so much sense, our legislators will never go for it.

• Like 4

Of the "total constitutional carry states", only VT does not also issue an optional permit.

So presumably that wouldn't present a problem, as long as the TN permit would still be vetted as it is now so that other states wouldn't have reason to no longer honor it.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Exactly why Constitutional carry is not a be all, end all. You would still need a permit to carry in other states, and many states don't issue non-resident permits, so you would still need a home state permit.

Probably most who have already paid the initial fee would renew their permits, I would just to carry in other states. Also permit holders can keep their handgun out of sight in their vehicle parking in otherwise prohibited places where those without a permit can't, even with vehicle carry now which to me doesn't make alot of sense why anyone else can't store their handgun out of sight in certain places. I'm wondering when Tennessee permit holders will reach the half million number, I know several people who already have a date set for their class, more revenue for the state.

Still it would not hurt. But to have the permit would you need to pass a class? I think not. As long as you can buy a handgun then you should be able to carry one. Just pass a background check which would be included in the licensing fee. and there you have it a common sense solution to an overcomplicated problem.

If you reduce the requirements for a permit, you will almost certainly reduce the number of states which honor it.

No other state's permit is recognized more widely than the TN one, and you would not want to change that -- defeats the reason for having a permit from a state in which it's not required in the first place.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1
  • Administrator

I would not be worried about the reciprocity. I'm more concerned about everyone being able to carry without a permit. Plus how many people travel often out of state and travel with their firearms? For the average person it would not make a bit of difference. Regardless of what another state says I'm going to bring in my firearms. I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six.

And this is where the Libertarian / Constitutionalist argument generally comes off the rails.  Your mentality is very isolationist and doesn't consider that you might just be in the minority.  Like I said, a win-win is for the State to acknowledge Constitutional open carry and sell permits for concealed carry.  Those who want a permit and reciprocity will pay for it.  Those who don't will just enjoy carrying freely inside the state.

As for how many people make use of reciprocity, I can tell you I do all the time.  And likely so do countless other Tennesseans with HCPs who travel back and forth to neighboring states on a weekly if-not daily basis.  Ask folks who live in border towns like Clarksville, Chattanooga, Memphis, Johnson City, etc. But what it sounds like you're saying is since you aren't one of those people, you couldn't care less provided it's free for you.

Like I said, very isolationist.

• Like 6

... Like I said, a win-win is for the State to acknowledge Constitutional open carry and sell permits for concealed carry. ..

Well, it's also a win-win even if permitless concealed carry were enacted also, as long as they continue the HCP program as it is. Again, all the states that allow both permitless open and concealed carry also offer permits, except for VT.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2