Constitutional Carry in TN

I make plenty of trips outside the state and do not have a problem with the permits. Or reciprocity. I just don't see how it would affect the reciprocity if anyone can get a permit and it is in reach of all Tennesseans. ..

Dude.

Other states decide reciprocity for acceptance of the TN permit.  Most base their decisions on the requirements necessary to receive one. Most assert they must meet or achieve their own requirements.

You lessen the requirements for the permit, some states will rescind their recognition of the TN permit. Maybe quite a few depending on what the changes for receiving one entail.

And btw, there is a difference between reciprocity and recognition, but that's another subject.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2

I'm personally okay with that. I'm fine with being isolationist and staying in our great state. If other states decide to rescind recognition then you can just go to the trouble of getting a nonresident permit. Most states have nonresident permits and by getting one you would gain the reciprocity of that state. So does this not solve that problem?

I agree with David's assessment of you. At the least.

I'm all for anything that foments carry for any lawful citizen in as many states as possible, short of that being at the whim of the Fed.

- OS

I'm personally okay with that. I'm fine with being isolationist and staying in our great state. If other states decide to rescind recognition then you can just go to the trouble of getting a nonresident permit. Most states have nonresident permits and by getting one you would gain the reciprocity of that state. So does this not solve that problem?

LOL, you obviously don't visit Illinois very often. Feel free to grab a nonresident permit if you happen to be from HI,NM,SC or VA. Otherwise the ILSP has determined your state isn't worthy of the right to even apply for a non-resident permit. Not to mention even getting firearm carry there this far has taken decades of legal battles. I'm spoiled b/c of how many places our permits are accepted but it only takes having  frequent business in one state that doesn't to be a complete PITA.

NON-RESIDENTS – What Do I Need Prior to Applying for a Concealed Carry License?

In accordance with 430 ILCS 66/40 (b), out of state residents may be eligible for an Illinois Concealed Carry License if your state meets the definition of substantially similar as established by rule. See 20 Il. Admin. Code 1231.10. Currently, the states identified below have been determined to have laws related to firearm ownership, possession, and carrying that are substantially similar to the requirements to obtain a license under Illinois’ law; and, therefore, may apply for an Concealed Carry License. This list will be updated as additional states are identified as substantially similar. Further Information concerning the regulations for non-resident applications can be found at 20 Il. Admin. Code 1231.110.

• Hawaii
  • New Mexico
  • South Carolina
  • Virginia

Other requirements if your state meets the substantially similarly definition:
  • 16 hours of Concealed Carry firearms training provided by an ISP approved Instructor.
  • An electronic copy of a valid concealed carry license from my home state.
  • Electronic Copy of my training certificate(s). You will be required to upload your electronic certificate during the application process.
  • A head and shoulder electronic photograph taken within the last 30 days.
  • An Illinois Digital I.D.

Java will be required for all of these computer functions to work correctly. To find out if you have the current Java click on this link and then click on “verify java version” to find out if you have Java. AGAIN – YOU MUST HAVE JAVA LOADED ON YOUR PC.

Visit the Illinois Digital ID website to obtain a digital ID.

NOTE: If you have questions, visit the Illinois Digital ID website FAQ page or call the Central Management Services Help Desk at 1-866-465-9119 for assistance with the Digital ID. Questions regarding the Concealed Carry License application process should be directed to the Illinois State Police at 217-782-7980.

• A Valid Driver’s License or State Identification card.
  • Be able to provide the last ten years of residency.
  • notarized affidavit documenting the applicant’s eligibility under both state and federal laws, the understanding of the laws pertaining to possession and transport of firearms, acknowledgment the applicant is subject to the jurisdiction of the Illinois State Police and the Illinois courts and that the applicant meets the mental health standards in Illinois to obtain a firearm.
  • $300.00 payable with a credit card or electronic check.

The GA last year shoved a knife into the back of revenue generation from HCP program, by allowing anyone who can possess a firearm to carry one loaded in their vehicle if they can legally operate said vehicle, sans permit.

I look to see that Public Chapter revisited, as our genius legislature (including the governor) signed off on allowing 15 year olds to carry a loaded firearm (hardship license drivers license holders) in the vehicles they legally pilot.

Seems inconsistent with the rest of their actions re firearms over the last 4 years...

While the current 'guns in cars' law does open up some very interesting loopholes, it does not allow minors to carry loaded guns in their vehicle...  39-17-1319 governs all handgun carry by minors, and other parts of 39-17-13xx don't apply per 39-17-1319e.

In some cases minors have more ability to carry loaded firearms including handguns with parents and/or property owners permission.

For example, if you don't have a permit you're not legally allowed to carry a loaded handgun on your friends property, even with their permission...  but if you're a minor and have the property owners permission, and permission from your parents, you can legally carry a handgun on their property.

Another great example of stupid loopholes...  lets say you own a business in a mall that is posted legally under 39-17-1359, it might well be illegal for you to carry a loaded firearm in your own store with or without a permit (no case law on this yet exists), but it's perfectly legal for your children to carry one because 39-17-1319e exempts juveniles from 39-17-1359.

And lets not forget the wonderful 39-17-1319d1e - which is basically a carry permit for juvenile's as long as they're accompanied by their parent or guardian ;)

The GA last year shoved a knife into the back of revenue generation from HCP program, by allowing anyone who can possess a firearm to carry one loaded in their vehicle if they can legally operate said vehicle, sans permit.

I look to see that Public Chapter revisited, as our genius legislature (including the governor) signed off on allowing 15 year olds to carry a loaded firearm (hardship license drivers license holders) in the vehicles they legally pilot.

Seems inconsistent with the rest of their actions re firearms over the last 4 years...

I think that Constitutional carry would be ideal but I don't think it will happen with the current leadership in TN.  The legislature likes the handgun carry permit system and the money it brings in.  I think our best bet this year is to improve the system for people with handgun carry permits, such as removing criminal penalties for people with permits carrying in local parks or places with certain no guns signs.

You only have so much political capital and I would use it on removing restrictions for permits VS using efforts for goals that have little chance of passing.  I am surprised that the whole vehicle carry bill passed into law but I think it was flying under the radar and did not receive much media attention.  I do think that the whole vehicle carry deal helps a lot of people.  Why shouldn't someone be able to keep a loaded gun in his vehicle just like he can in his house?  Tennessee was very odd in that it made such practice illegal compared to most of the surrounding states.

• Like 1

While the current 'guns in cars' law does open up some very interesting loopholes, it does not allow minors to carry loaded guns in their vehicle...  39-17-1319 governs all handgun carry by minors, and other parts of 39-17-13xx don't apply per 39-17-1319e.

I qualified, notice I said "could possess", inference that the readers of this page were well informed enough to know that minors can not legally possess a handgun by themselves (without a parent or qualified adult in attendance), but they can a long gun.

Do you deny that a 15 year old can carry a loaded shotgun in their vehicle to go squirrel hunting under the new Public chapter IF they have legally obtained a "Hardship License"?

Edited by Worriedman
  • Like 1

I agree completely...  I thought you were talking about handguns, not long guns.  But, you're right any minor who is legally operating a vehicle, seem to be able to carry a loaded long gun.  But, we can't give HCP holders the ability to carry on college campuses, or in the administrative offices of a school board which contain no students...  None of which surprises me.

I qualified, notice I said "could possess", inference that the readers of this page were well informed enough to know that minors can not legally possess a handgun by themselves (without a parent or qualified adult in attendance), but they can a long gun.

Do you deny that a 15 year old can carry a loaded shotgun in their vehicle to go squirrel hunting under the new Public chapter IF they have legally obtained a "Hardship License"?

• 2 weeks later...

.  I think our best bet this year is to improve the system for people with handgun carry permits, such as removing criminal penalties for people with permits carrying in local parks or places with certain no guns signs.

This. I am a new resident in TN and was appalled when I found out that by carrying in a posted place made me a felon. I agree that removing this penalty should be the major effort

Ron I can't tell what you're quoting and what you're typing.  You need to type your reply outside of the quote box, not inside of it.

After parsing, can see that Ron's comment was:

".... I am a new resident in TN and was appalled when I found out that by carrying in a posted place made me a felon...."

Which of course is wrong.

- OS