Pit Bull's are not to blame for their attacks...owners read !!

Ron_TN

Pit Bull's are wonderful loving dogs and Pit owners are their own worst enemy. They

do more to perpetuate the bad reputation of this class of dog than any other

source. The fact they keep insisting that their dog would never attack anyone or

it's the victims fault just goes to further the fear of this class of dog and makes

them look like idiots. Rather than flame the publics fear of these dogs, they need

to understand and agree that yes, these dogs are capable of catastrophic harm but

here is how I try to make sure that the dog will never be put into a situation

where it might attack someone.

What makes the Pit Bull Class of dog and mixes so dangerous are four things. Their

physiology, style of attack, damage they do and gameness. The PB style of attack is

unique to these breeds. Their wide jaws along with muscular chests, shoulders and

necks enhance their style which is to grab on to muscle, shake their heads and

never back down. This style of attack is not learned, it's genetic/instinctive,

selectively bred into them and coupled with gameness, the ability to keep attacking

in spite of severe pain, broken bones, blood loss and injury, is why these dogs do

such catastrophic harm. Again, this style of attack is not learned, it's

genetic/instinctive.

Temperament tests mean nothing .. it might indicate a propensity for aggressive

behavior but that's all.

No amount of obedience training, socialization or how they were raised makes a

particle of a difference on how the Pit Bull Class of dog attacks.

When a Pit Bull or mix is in a committed attack mode you can beat them over the

head with a crowbar, stab them repeatedly with a knife, kick them, throw water on

them, burn them even gouge their eyes out and it won't stop an attack in progress.

They are impervious to pain when in attack mode. That's gameness and it has been

selectively bred into these dogs and it's why they are the favorite dogs of dog

fighters.
Here is the definition of 'gameness' found on one of the American Pit Bull Society

sites a few years ago .. it has been understandably removed:

Gameness in the Pit Bull class of dogs is a canine virtue that is most akin to the

human virtue of unflagging courage. It is a determination to master any situation

and never back down out of fear. It was developed in pit bulls by many generations

of selective breeding. It is what allows a pit bull to keep fighting non-stop for

two or more hours, in spite of broken bones, torn muscles, blood loss, dehydration,

and exhaustion. But it is also valued by Pit owners who would never think of

fighting their dogs. It is manifested in the can-do attitude of pit bulls toward

any type of challenge, whether agility competitions, climbing up trees, or

protecting their family against an armed attacker, etc.

If you want to assign blame for the bad and unfortunately well deserved reputation

of this class of dog, blame legitimate breeders and Pit Bull Societies which

perpetuate this lethal style of attack through selective breeding specifically for

this unique style of attack and gameness.

The tragedy is that Pit Bull's are really awesome, gentle dogs. They are not evil

or mean. Stop blaming the dog and start blaming the people responsible, the

breeders and owners who don't truely understand what these dogs are capable of. The

dog is only doing what comes naturally.

Pitbulls are dangerous dogs, not because of their behaviors, but because IF that switch flips in their head, the damage they can do over a weiner dog is astronomical.

People seem to forget these things are animals and think for themselves sometimes with the cognitive function of a 2 year old kid.

The risk is ALWAYS there.
  • Like 6

So let me ask this: Should people with kids at home own pit bulls?

If those people want to, Yes, absolutely.   

Should people with kids at home own guns?  Should people with kids at home own pools?

Answer, If those people want to, Yes, absolutely.  

The government shouldn't be in either discussion.  Because there is a risk of something happening in either scenario, it shouldn't make one bit of difference.  People should be free to make decisions for themselves.  If bad things happen and circumstances show there was negligence, then take appropriate action.  If you don't like Pits, don't get one.  I am not a Pit owner and will probably never have a Pit, but I am a dog lover and there are certainly the right types of owners for all dogs.  

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 7

Pitbulls are dangerous dogs, not because of their behaviors, but because IF that switch flips in their head, the damage they can do over a weiner dog is astronomical.

People seem to forget these things are animals and think for themselves sometimes with the cognitive function of a 2 year old kid.

The risk is ALWAYS there.

All dogs have that switch.  The larger and more powerful the dog, the great the inherent danger.  When the whites of their eyes turn red, it's game on. 

I've seen way more chihuahua's snap and go completely nuts for no apparent reason than I have pits.  In fact, I've never personally seen a pit snap.  But chihuahua's don't kill people when they do snap.  My wife wants a pit, she thinks they're wonderful.  My opinion is absolutely not.  No pure breeds, no mixes, no nothing even resembling one.  I refuse to live with the stigma and more importantly in today's litigious society, I refuse to accept the liability.  I love dogs and have had them all my life in spite of allergies.  But at the end of the day, it's just a dog. 

All dogs have that switch.  The larger and more powerful the dog, the great the inherent danger.  When the whites of their eyes turn red, it's game on. 

I'm not sure it's just the size of the dog that is the issue. I am not an advocate of breed bans and I have seen and interacted with a lot of pits who seem very sweet.  I used to be part of the "it's not the dog it's the owner" crowd, but I'm not so sure anymore. I have seen and heard too many first hand accounts of the switch flipping with no prior warning to trust a pit around my children.   The fact is that Doberman's, Rottweilers, German Shepherds, and many other breeds are capable of inflicting severe trauma.  With the exception of Wolf Hybrids, pits just seem more likely to flip their switch without warning than any other breed.  We have a Boxer, in fact I brought him to my office today.  He's about 75lbs of muscle, a very strong dog, who is gentle enough to let my 4 year old drag him on a leash.  I forget how fierce his jaws and teeth are until I have to stick medicine down his throat.  He's not the slightest bit protective of me, but my Wife says he acts more protective of her and the kids when I'm not around.  Other than his significant bark when someone comes to our door, I generally don't see that side of him.  Last summer I had someone go by my house to provide an estimate for some work.  This guy has done a lot of work for me and has been around my dog a fair amount.  I was pretty surprised when he told me he wouldn't go in the back yard because my dog "wasn't happy about him being there without me."   He must have been at the wrong house, my dog is a baby, he's afraid to go into the laundry room when the dryer is on.  I don't his protective side as much as my Wife does.   She set of the alarm by accident recently and she said he was on "high alert" enough that the Deputy refused to come in the house until she put him in the back yard.  Same thing when she runs him, he always has to be between her and other men, or other dogs.  So much that it can be an annoyance.  My SIL and BIL have a sweet German Shepherd but it is too big a hassle for him to be around our dog.  At a dog park, without my kids around the two dogs would probably play appropriately, but last summer when my son wanted to play with the Shep and our Boxer thought the Shep was too rough my wife thought we were going to have two dogs locked in a bloody mess.  it took quite a bit of strength from me and the BIL to keep the dogs apart.  I could go on but the point is that my dog is very rarely aggressive and it always seems to be a predictable trigger.  I don't even think I'd say he's been aggressive, just a little protective.  Lots of strong or large dogs are this way in a predictable way.  I was involved in a legal case several years ago where the victims of a home invasion had a German Shepard that was 12 years old and "lazy" in the owners own words.  They were very surprised that the dog even woke up and even more surprised when the dog inflicted enough damage to require quite someone to need quite a few stitches on the lower legs.  Even though the owners were surprised this was a predictable trigger to flip that dog's switch.  

I 100% agree that I've seen more Chihuahua's snap than pits.  As a matter of fact, I'm cautious about my parents' chihuahua and my kids.  Generally, I think small dogs are more likely to be dangerous to kids. particularly my kids who are used to a dog they can be a little rough with.  After getting rid of a Cocker Spaniel for biting my son, we are delighted to have a dog that is so gentle with the kids.  I have a friend with a Doberman of every similar temperament that is absolutely great with his kids.  I  My point is, that I would also be leery of owning a pit, but for a different reason.  It isn't the size or strength that bothers me, it's that they seem to be just a little more likely to flip that switch than other dogs of a similar size and build.      

Edited by JReedEsq
  • Like 2

I would as soon have alligators as pit bulls in my yard, but that's just me.

I would rather have alligators because you don't have to wonder if they are dangerous. You know they are and they don't have that on/off switch. Theirs is on all the time.........................jmho

• Like 3

I've seen way more chihuahua's snap and go completely nuts for no apparent reason than I have pits.  In fact, I've never personally seen a pit snap.  But chihuahua's don't kill people when they do snap.  My wife wants a pit, she thinks they're wonderful.  My opinion is absolutely not.  No pure breeds, no mixes, no nothing even resembling one.  I refuse to live with the stigma and more importantly in today's litigious society, I refuse to accept the liability.  I love dogs and have had them all my life in spite of allergies.  But at the end of the day, it's just a dog. 

:rofl: I have made the remark a 1000 times that if Chihuahuas had the size of a Pit or German Shepard and the temperament of the Chihuahua they would be probably the most dangerous dog on earth.................jmho

There are many arguments for and against owning a pit bull. You can probably argue that for any breed.

However, this is not a gathering of lawyers in a courtroom trying to persuade the jury that, "if it sounds

reasonable then it must be so", when common sense dictates otherwise.

I have been a dog owner since I was 9 and I am now in my 60's and have known many breeds in my life.

I do not need to project my prowess through a dog nor do I wish to scare or hurt anyone through my my pet as 

the operative word is pet. Not scare or hurt.

Personally, I prefer known gentle breeds so I will never own a pit bull no matter how much anyone argues for one. 

It's not complicated really. All dogs might bite because all dog have some level of prey drive. Big dog bites do more damage that small dog bites. Choose wisely.

You obviously have never been around a Great Dane.  I think temperament plays a huge role in this discussion.   

We had a pit bull when my kids were young.  My kids entered him in a local dog show in Grayson County Texas.  He won a second place ribbon in the friendliest dog category.  He was a great dog and was always good with kids.  And I miss him.

• Like 1
First let me say that the members of this website, for the most part, are probably some of the more responsible members of society. That being said, I feel the pit owners on here are well aware of the capabilities of this breed. As I have stated before in the other thread the years of worthless trash abusing this breed is what has taken its toll on the pit. Steroids, and other drugs, phisical abuse, neglect, and of course dog fighting. I have also seen the story old the elderly woman's dog, and that again is more than likely neglect. Failure to socialize, excersise, and interact with a dog of any kind is also a form of abuse and neglect. I understand the stigma this breed has gained, and many of us are trying hard to change that, by adopting rescue dogs and trying to stop the abuse of this breed. When others start speaking negatively, and almost in a hateful manner, about the breed it does nothing to help the situation out. It also starts to sound very reminiscent of the anti gun society. If you do not wish to help some of these horribly abused animals in any way, that is fine, but please don't add fuel to the fire.
  • Like 5

You obviously have never been around a Great Dane.  I think temperament plays a huge role in this discussion.   

Yup you're right I haven't. I was kinda lumping prey drive in the temperament catagory but point taken.

That said a buddy of mine got sued over a dog bite by a dog that truely never hurt anyone right up until the bit a little neighbor girl. The dog was a pretty good sized GSD who was getting old and arthritic. The little girl accidently hurt the dog while playing with him. The dog bit right thru her hand. The dog didn't mean it and neither did the little girl. Didn't matter. My point is that if the dog had been a small dog all it would have taken to make things better would have been a little anticeptic and a bandaid not a trip to the hospital and physical rehab.

Edited by rocketman

Should people with kids at home own guns?  Should people with kids at home own pools?

The government shouldn't be in either discussion.  Because there is a risk of something happening in either scenario, it shouldn't make one bit of difference.  People should be free to make decisions for themselves.  If bad things happen and circumstances show there was negligence, then take appropriate action.  If you don't like Pits, don't get one.  I am not a Pit owner and will probably never have a Pit, but I am a dog lover and there are certainly the right types of owners for all dogs.

Read my mind.

I had a friend that had a Pit and in all honesty, that is the second only time I have ever been remotely afraid of a dog(first time was my buds Bouvier, he did NOT like men but LOVED women. A bit of a ladies man...). We were hanging out watching tv and he just started growling at me for no reason until my bud bopped him on the nose and told him "no", still have no idea what that dog had against me to this day. My dad's Robberman(half Dobberman-half Rottie) was afraid of my cousin one year at Thanksgiving to the point that she would cower next to me or my dad where she would watch my cousin like a hawk, no other festivity before or after has she displayed this pattern. Sometimes dogs do some strange things, I dunno as I don't claim to be an expert.

I've always loved dogs and have owned several of different breeds. Everyone has their own reason for buying an animal, whether for hunting, work, or a pet. I'm in the pet category and get them for the loyalty, love and companionship they usually offer and not to add worry, stress or liability to my life. That being said, I've had 2 Springer Spaniels. One was the best dog I've had in my life above all of them. She lived to be 15 and I actually cried over losing her. She was a wonderful animal, perfect in every way.  I had another one that looked almost exactly like her. This dog was a demon dog. She was crazy. I raised her from a 6 week old pup. I worked with her obedience wise, never abused her or struck her, but she was very difficult to train. She had a mind of her own. When she was around 1.5 years old, she began to growl and became "snappy". At 2 years old, she was sitting in my chair one day and bit the crap out of me when I reached for her to set her on the floor. I gave her away to some people with a warning that she had bit me. They got her home and she bit one of them to the tune of a couple of stitches in their leg. They had her euthanized. This proved to me, any dog of any breed can be aggressive and be a biter. If that dog has the physical ability to kill or maim, the potential for death or injury is always there.

Edited by Randall53

Fwiw, I didn't ask "should the government impose laws restricting the ownership of pit bulls if you have kids at home?"  I asked "Should people with kids at home own pit bulls?" Big difference.

Just like most of the people on this forum, I don't believe the government should tell us what we should or shouldn't do, as long as it's not hurting anyone else. Personally, I'm a HUGE dog lover and I've wanted a pit bull for a long time now, but I've decided to wait until my son is grown before I get one. I own guns, and I even have a pool ;), but having a pit bull is, imho, not a good idea when you have young kids at home. 

Did anyone in here ever see a pit bull fight ( dog fights )?  I have and if you ever see this dog in a fight you will understand.  I dont think 9 out of 10 in here understand what they are bred for.  I dont think most understand what the dog can do. when he attacks and locks his jaws around a victims throat his jaws LOCK and once that happens he will not let go.  I seen a man empty his gun on his dog, ( the dog was in a fight ) he died but never opened his jaws even after death.  No other dog on earth can fight like a bit bull.  I seen them fight with half their body parts missing and still fight.  Would i get my grandson a pit bull....NO!

Edited by Ron_TN
  • Like 1

Did anyone in here ever see a pit bull fight ( dog fights )? I have and if you ever see this dog in a fight you will understand. I dont think 9 out of 10 in here understand what they are breed for. I dont think most understand what the dog can do. when he attacks and locks his jaws around a victims throat his jaws LOCK and once that happens he will not let go. I seen a man empty his gun on his dog, he died but never opened his jaws even after death. No other dog on earth can fight like a bit bull. I seen them fight with half their body parts missing and still fight. Would i get my grandson a pit bull....NO!

Sir, you do not know what you are talking about. From the sound of it you seem to have been somehow involved in dogfighting. I'm not sure where your experience with these animals comes from, but I assure you once again owners on this site are well aware of their responsibilities as dog owners.
  • Like 1