NRA 2015 Annual Convention Nashville

They must have posted it recently because Comic-Con was not legally posted last year in the new convention center.

The last two times I've been in there I've seen no signage.  Maybe I found the right door with out it?

Also, the AG issued an opinion that a convention center does not fall under a "civic center" as stated in TCA 39-17-1311.

I'm not sure where to find that opinion,  but I have seen it on another gun site that was discussing this very topic.

Edited by 101

Also, the AG issued opinion that a "convention" of this type was not what the TCA was referencing to.

What in TCA are you referencing period? The posting statute itself or parks/recreational facilities statute? Seems it could clearly be posted under either one?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Updated with the mentioned TCA, sorry.

Also, others from other states have called and talked to the management of the convention center and have received a letter stating that the are not allowing the carrying off weapons at the NRA convention.  

My thoughts are, if they don't post it legally, it's open for carry.

• Like 1

Updated with the mentioned TCA, sorry.

Well, if indeed it doesn't legally fall under 1311, anything can be posted under 1359.

My thoughts are, if they don't post it legally, it's open for carry.

Although what constitutes a "legal" post still has no case law, I agree with you if it's not posted at all.

- OS

If it's not posted, there's nothing illegal about carrying there. It may be against policy, but not against the law. I don't see how it could fall under 1311. It's not controlled by the Metro Park Service, so they'd have a hard time arguing that it's a park or community center.

Edited by monkeylizard

If it's not posted, there's nothing illegal about carrying there. It may be against policy, but not against the law. I don't see how it could fall under 1311. It's not controlled by the Metro Park Service, so they'd have a hard time arguing that it's a park or community center.

Don't see where bureaucratic control of a building determines its status one way or the other, 1311 simply says ".. or other building facility, area or property owned, used or operated by any municipal, county or state government, or instrumentality thereof, for recreational purposes."

But doesn't matter. Is to be posted under either statute and indeed under 1311 there has to be a formal resolution record by city/county/state that it opted out of the carry freedom. Also, the signage is more strict for 1311 (though again who knows if "non-statutory" signage avoids prosecution/conviction). Also, the penalty for violation is greater under 1311.

But either way, if it ain't posted at all, certainly no legal leg to stand on under either 1311 or 1359 to ban carry.

- OS

I have been in there 5 or 6 times sense it open been in and out different doors never seen any posting of any kind i do not conceal my pistol very well and even had a rent a cop stare me down while i was putting my son in the stroller and my full size 9mm was showing the whole time thats my $.02

I seem to remember reading an article about the NRA Convention where they interviewed someone at the Nashville Convention Center......I think article stated the Convention Center left it up to the event organizers if they wanted to 'post' or not.......Maybe I'm imaging things (maybe it was Indy last year)......but that's what I remember........It's definitely not posted.....

The NRA is very aware of this 'situation' and it limits where they can hold the convention.....It's also a very large show and there are only so many facilities that can handle it ......

There is a reason to be concerned about 1311, IF the building falls under 1311, it is partly owned by the state, and therefore the city can't opt out, nor can it be posted under 1359.

In cases where the 'park' is owned by 2 or more subdivisions of the state, both must pass resolutions prohibiting carry under 1311, except where one of the parties is the state, there is no method for the state to opt out a 'park' under 1311, they'd have to change the law...  a bill you'd never get through the current legislature.

There are a LOT of parks that are partly owned by or receive funding from the state government, that probably fall into this 1311 loophole.  I know of a metro park in Bellevue that can't be legally posted because the state owns some of the land it sits on. 

That is why the AG probably an opinion on the convention center.

Don't see where bureaucratic control of a building determines its status one way or the other, 1311 simply says ".. or other building facility, area or property owned, used or operated by any municipal, county or state government, or instrumentality thereof, for recreational purposes."

But doesn't matter. Is to be posted under either statute and indeed under 1311 there has to be a formal resolution record by city/county/state that it opted out of the carry freedom. Also, the signage is more strict for 1311 (though again who knows if "non-statutory" signage avoids prosecution/conviction). Also, the penalty for violation is greater under 1311.

But either way, if it ain't posted at all, certainly no legal leg to stand on under either 1311 or 1359 to ban carry.

- OS

Edited by JayC

"Public Chapter 428 of the 2009 Public Laws of Tennessee amended Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-17-1311 to allow the holders of handgun carry permits to carry firearms in public parks, playgrounds, civic centers and other recreational facilities that are owned by the state, counties or municipalities.  Tenn. Code Ann. §§ 39-17-1309 (b,c) prohibit the possession of firearms in any public or private school building, bus, grounds, campus or athletic field or recreational facility that is owned, used or operated by any school board, school or college."

This paragraph is in this opinion,  under the analysis section.

I guess this is more of a reference to a change in the law in 2009, than an opinion specifically about carry itself in a civic center.

Edited by 101

"I sent an email to the Music City Center asking if this was the case with them and got this response..........

"Thank you for your inquiry regarding the NRA event. The State of TN 2009 Public Acts, Chapter 428 prohibits the carrying of weapons in Public parks and civic centers. In addition any weapon purchased during the show may not be carried out but has to be shipped. I hope that this will not discourage you from attending as it is a fantastic event and Nashville is a great place to visit. 

Thank you,

Bill 

Bill Facella

Director of Event Services 

Music City Center"

This is an email that someone had received in response of the question regarding carry at the NRA convention.   Obviously, this Bill that's in charge has no idea what he is talking about.

I've seen this email from multiple people.  This is the music city centers stance, and it is based on the wrong law.  They are trying to lie about the law in order to say we can't carry.  

As far as I can see the NRA is not challenging it either.  Surely someone will research this and figure it out.  

There is a reason to be concerned about 1311, IF the building falls under 1311, it is partly owned by the state, and therefore the city can't opt out, nor can it be posted under 1359.

Explain how any building, private, city, county, or state, or combination thereof, can't be posted under 1359?

- OS