Hammer falling during function check.

Charge the rifle. Pull trigger and hold. Hammer falls. Charge rifle again. Slowly release trigger. Hammer falls.  If I release the trigger quickly the hammer does not fall.  I did this about 20 times releasing the trigger both slow and fast and the results are consistent. Release slow = hammer falls.  Release quick = hammer stays cocked.  The rifle is basically a stock DPMS carbine that I got new. By basically I mean the only changes are a grip and hand guard replacement and I replaced the folding stock with a fixed A2. I'm using the rifle length buffer. NO trigger work has been done. I have disassembled the FCG to clean and learn about it. I'm pretty certain the springs are installed correctly but I have been wrong before. I wanted to run this past you guys before I go tearing it down to look for troubles. The rifle hasn't been through more than 1000 rounds give or take a hundred. I used to run a Stag  6.8 upper on the lower, not much maybe 200 rounds and it did double on me twice with the 6.8 only. Never doubled on 5.56. Thanks for any and all input y'all give.

Edited by 94user

Thank Dolomite. I was hoping to hear from you  sooner or later. More sooner it seems ! I'll order one and try it.  Any preference on whom to buy from or more importantly the maker of the disconnecter ?

Edited by 94user

I ordered one from Palmetto State. When it comes in I'll update this thread. Your offer  is very much appreciated . Thanks.

While you're waiting, just for yuks, disconnector spring wasn't missing, or in upside down or not seated, was it? (large end goes down into seat on top of trigger)

p_078101120_1.jpg

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • 2 weeks later...

Disconnecter finally arrived. No change, hammer still falling on a slow re-set.

Bizarro.

Are you sure hammer spring is correct, and seated correctly with legs over trigger pin?

AR15-HammerSpringInstall.jpg

hammerinstallil.gif

If all else looks fine, don't know that to think except maybe hammer engaging surface isn't in spec?

Disconnector%20hammer.jpg

- OS

The springs are correct Mac.

20150128_175543.jpg

This your only AR?

It's a hassle, but you could swap out hammers to test. Gotta be hammer or trigger but can't think of anything in trigger that would allow it to function at all but still be out of whack enough to cause this.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Yes it's my only AR. It's no hassle at all to me to remove and replace the FCG. Easy peasy really. The hammer is my next suspect as well.

I honestly can't think of anything else unless something like the pin holes being gouged out so much that pins are not holding trigger/hammer contact together firmly, which I'm sure ain't the case here with a new gun.

Dolo, any further ideas?

Maybe somebody will send you a spare hammer to test. I would if I had one.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Y'all are some good people. I can order a hammer from PSA for $24 and see if it helps. I got the disconnecter from them.

Yow, that's half the price of a whole LPK!

Ask in Trading Post if nobody bites here.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
The nose of the trigger can wear over time causing it to have a reverse angle which will let the hammer slip off.

I am assuming the disconnect spring is present.

Are you sure there is not a setscrew in the grip screw hole? Or no one polished either the trigger or hammer engagements?

Not accusing you, but if you bought the gun used it is possible someone tried to improve the trigger and it has finally worn enough to be an issue.

We can fix it by filing on the disconnect. I can PM you my number and you can call so I can talk you through it. I have had to fix this exact problem z few dozen times on my guns. It is an easy fix but just want to make sure the hammer and trigger are not the problem.