NRA $500 Lifetime Membership Again

Seems this is just for existing members, and I guess all of us get notice in mail, but thought I'd mention it. Haven't bought any guns in a while,  so found myself flush enough to have no excuse for finally doing it. :)

A "$129 value rolling duffel" comes with it, which is bound to be worth at least 25 clams or more, too. ;)

duffel.jpg

Online link:

https://www.nra2015.org/

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

Mine was also $300 a couple of years ago. I was also able to upgrade to endowment member for another $300 about 12 months ago.

Please forgive my stupidity, but would you explain the endowment membership level to me. I don't seem to grasp exactly what it is and does.

Please forgive my stupidity, but would you explain the endowment membership level to me. I don't seem to grasp exactly what it is and does.

It's just another level of membership, no new privileges.  It's mostly an inducement to buy another life membership for yourself.  I recently got an offer to upgrade to Benefactor for $350 but I passed.  Maybe in a year or so.

It's just another level of membership, no new privileges.  It's mostly an inducement to buy another life membership for yourself.  I recently got an offer to upgrade to Benefactor for $350 but I passed.  Maybe in a year or so.

Thanks. I just could not see a real change in the "levels", and it just isn't clear in the NRA propaganda mailings.

If I was 30 I might look at Lifetime but at my age and my health I will stick with yearly........................jmho

The yearly plan was what I did for many, many years. At least 20. I just never got the extra money to go Life. And like Doug says, it soon became apparent that it was going to be cheaper for me that way. 

But I got in on one of the special membership drives 2 years ago with the 300 deal. Even at that I was still questionable. lol But it was a time that the NRA was pushing membership number increases  and giving discounts. Sort of like now.

If I was 30 I might look at Lifetime but at my age and my health I will stick with yearly........................jmho

I'd have to live to the unlikely age of 91 before I "save money" on just doing 5 year extensions at the current rate of 100 clams each. I throw them some bucks now and then in addition to the membership fee, and this was just mostly another way to do that.

And of course to get the uber groovy wheeled tote, which I'll need just to make it to the car with stuff should I indeed live that long still ambulatory. ;)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

This baffles me.  Why are people trying to save money on a NRA membership?  The NRA is a non-profit, its a organization looking out for the interests of its members.  Shouldn't we be trying to give as much money as possible vs. the opposite?  If we are going to brag, shouldn't we say we donate $500 per year for the 1 year membership instead of bragging about $300, $400 or $500 for the lifetime?  Now if we were trying to buy a certain gun, yes we should brag about the lowest price, but not a membership to a organization looking out for us. 

This reminds me of my sister in law.  She negotiates with AM Vets, and Goodwill.  Why?  Its not like the money is feeding fat cats or something, it goes for a good cause.  Why by selfish looking out for yourself, why not just pay 2x for the item or something.  Understand the purchase and who its intended to help. 

Am I wrong? 

This baffles me.  Why are people trying to save money on a NRA membership?  ..

I split the diff between frugality and altruism. Odds are the NRA will get more membership bucks from me this way than if I periodically renew till I croak.

- OS

This baffles me.  Why are people trying to save money on a NRA membership?  The NRA is a non-profit, its a organization looking out for the interests of its members.  Shouldn't we be trying to give as much money as possible vs. the opposite?  If we are going to brag, shouldn't we say we donate $500 per year for the 1 year membership instead of bragging about $300, $400 or $500 for the lifetime?  Now if we were trying to buy a certain gun, yes we should brag about the lowest price, but not a membership to a organization looking out for us. 

This reminds me of my sister in law.  She negotiates with AM Vets, and Goodwill.  Why?  Its not like the money is feeding fat cats or something, it goes for a good cause.  Why by selfish looking out for yourself, why not just pay 2x for the item or something.  Understand the purchase and who its intended to help. 

Am I wrong? 

The way I look at it, at least I am contributing. Whether its a reduced price or not makes little difference in the long run. My using the NRA logo also gives them free advertising,  possibly getting others to join.  And with the NRA roundup, NRA store and other NRA services I say I am contributing more than most considering the number of gun owners.

Am I wrong? 

I usually decline the "freebie" enticement being given in these offers. If I'm donating to a cause, I'd rather the whole amount go towards it rather than to pay for some useless item I won't likely use anyway.

Edited by hipower
I could be wrong, and would venture to say I am ...
But I'll take a wild guess that the NRA's biggest revenue stream isn't from membership sign ups. Likely from selling advertising, branding, or something else like that. I'm sure membership money helps, but I'm sure membership quantity helps more (when selling advert space, etc.); thus the frequently discounted rates.

I could be wrong, and would venture to say I am ...
But I'll take a wild guess that the NRA's biggest revenue stream isn't from membership sign ups. Likely from selling advertising, branding, or something else like that. I'm sure membership money helps, but I'm sure membership quantity helps more (when selling advert space, etc.); thus the frequently discounted rates.

Their endowment base is huge, much like a university's. Depending on how my dotage goes, I might leave 'em a little something myself. ;)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

None of my business, but might I encourage you to think about leaving money to GOA...  Remember it's GOA that blew the whistle on the NRA sitting down with Biden to work on language for new gun control after Sandy Hook.

Larry Pratt and the GOA have a much better track record, dollar for dollar for supporting no new gun control, only repeal of existing bad laws.

I'm a lifetime NRA member, something my grandfather bought for me when I was born, my daughter who is not yet 4 is a lifetime member as well, something her grandfather bought for her when she was born.  Every time the NRA calls me for money, I politely hang up and write a check to GOA instead.

Their endowment base is huge, much like a university's. Depending on how my dotage goes, I might leave 'em a little something myself. ;)

- OS

Edited by JayC
  • Like 1