hard time finding .357 mag ammo

I am having one heck of a time finding .357 mag ammo. It's never been real easy to find around Newport, but I could usually find a box or two, but for the past couple months I haven't been able to find any at all. I went to Wally world and both gun stores in Newport then Bass pro and Buds yesterday with no joy. I know I can shoot .38 special ammo in it but I don't like to. I only have 6 rounds left and its really bumming me out. 

Lots of online retailers show a pretty good selection of 357 mag ammo in stock. Looking at the prices, however, I have to second the idea of reloading! That's what I do. I had no idea it had become so expensive.

You notice how 357 mag is nearly twice the price of 38 special? It's virtually the same price to reload.

Edited by gregintenn

I've had some luck buying carry ammo from Midway and CTD, as long as I'm not in a hurry.  I pick out what I want and put it on backorder or notification, since it's never in stock.  When it comes in, they email me and let me know it's available and/or ask me if I still want the backorder.  It takes anywhere from a couple of months to a year.  You have to plan ahead!

Target ammo I'll load myself.  Much cheaper.

Hi John455 have you ever tried Lucky Gunner in Knoxville?? They are great and only ship to you. They have all the popular brands

http://www.luckygunner.com/handgun/357-magnum-ammo

I personally have used georgia arms, http://www.georgia-arms.com/

They will load you new or reman(reman is once shot cases otherwise all new components) cartridges by box or bulk.

I am trying a new company from Idaho called Freedom Munitions. http://www.freedommunitions.com/#&panel1-1

They have a very good track record,but they are out of 357, They have shipping specials,like recently $0.00 for new customers or $5.00 and NO tax

These third party reloaders are almost as cheap as reloading

Edited by wolverine

.38's are good to practice with also. You can load them both.

What amazes me is I was visiting relatives in the PacNW and drove over to a sporting goods store in ID. The only thing they didn't have tons of was 

.22lr. The shelves were packed with factory ammo. They also had every powder you could want for reloading along with the rest of the supplies, primers, etc.

yeah I've been toying with the ideal of reloading for the .357 for a while now, looks like its time to take the plunge.

The sooner you start the sooner you appreciate the benefits and satisfaction of loading your own. And .38/.357 is one of the easiest and cheapest setups to learn. 

But I think you will realize in the final analysis you don't really save money by reloading. You just get to shoot more and enjoy it more for the same amount of expense.

Edited by HvBikeWlTravel
  • Like 1

Reload first. I should take my own advice. lol

Freedom Munitions, SGAmmo, AmmoWarehouse Supply, etc. Check for the online sellers. Best pricing usually comes with case lot pricing. I've been able to buy that way and get some really good deals in the past.

You can get into handloading if you wish, but be aware that there are critical shortages of the major components necessary to load ammo.  Handgun powders simply do not exist in TN to any appreciable quantity or variety.  If you do find powder it may be either a series that is new to you (not a comfortable thing for the new handloader) or is so badly overpriced you would rather walk away from it.  Brass is hit & miss, primers fair, bullets improving.  Factory ammo sells for $0.50 - 1.25 per round.  Handloads of equal performance will go for $0.15 - 0.35 each with your used brass.  If you cast your own bullets, the cost goes well below $0.15.

If you must stay with factory loaded ammo, one of the handier tools for locating what you need is a computer search titled gunbot.net.  After the .net add the following:  /357  or  /gunpowder  or  /(whatever you need).  You may not know all the sellers, but another computer search of their name should help you locate them. 

I have been handloading for about 44 years and the current shortages are the worst I have seen, suspect we all know how this happened.  This will change.  Start now gathering your handloading tools, most essential of these being a new comprehensive reloading manual.  Read it cover to cover (loading procedures, not the specific cartridge data), then read it again.  Nothing matters as much as being safe with handloading.  

Good luck with your search.

Stumpy

Not sure where some of you are getting your supplies...? But I reload, (only 9mm's)and my cost are

Montana Gold 115gr.FMJ 4000/$355 ea..08875 = .090
TiteGroup $20/pound 7000/4.3gr 1,628 per pound = .012
Federal SSP $30/1000 = .03
Brass - range pick up

Total per shot = 13 cents X 1000 = $132
So, I have never found a web site remanufactured or not (in years) that sells 9mm at the home reload price.

I will say that you have to shoot a bit to pay for your new Dillon machine or whatever you choose.

Just my .02, Start reloading and shoot

The sooner you start the sooner you appreciate the benefits and satisfaction of loading your own. And .38/.357 is one of the easiest and cheapest setups to learn. 

But I think you will realize in the final analysis you don't really save money by reloading. You just get to shoot more and enjoy it more for the same amount of expense.

It is very satisfying,but components are a bear to find ie pistol powder and primers. 

Not sure where some of you are getting your supplies...? But I reload, (only 9mm's)and my cost are

Montana Gold 115gr.FMJ 4000/$355 ea..08875 = .090
TiteGroup $20/pound 7000/4.3gr 1,628 per pound = .012
Federal SSP $30/1000 = .03
Brass - range pick up

Total per shot = 13 cents X 1000 = $132
So, I have never found a web site remanufactured or not (in years) that sells 9mm at the home reload price.

I will say that you have to shoot a bit to pay for your new Dillon machine or whatever you choose.

Just my .02, Start reloading and shoot

Freedom Munitions has reman(once fired brass) for $0,184 per round.Your brass is free and it is still only $0.051 more

Just saying  But i do reload 38/357 and 44 mag on a Redding T7 turret 

Edited by wolverine

I've seen no shortage of all kinds of bulk .357 mag online over the last year, at about same price as pre-Sandy Hook, plus normal inflation.

Trick is as always to buy it before you need it, take advantage of sales, free shipping, coupons, whatever.

- OS