Metro Nashville Public Schools is eliminating Algebra and Geometry.

JohnC

Are they serious? Now this is dumb! :shake:

Posted Thursday, January 22nd 2015 @ 8pm  by News Center

(Nashville, TN)  --  Metro Nashville Public Schools is eliminating Algebra and Geometry. 

The district says they're installing a new curriculum next year that will introduce three levels of Integrated Math, which teaches students to see relationships between concepts.  Informational meetings will be held to help parents understand the transition.

http://www.wlac.com/articles/wlac-local-news-220452/mnps-eliminating-algebra-geometry-13176681

More here: http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/education/2015/01/21/nashville-high-schools-math-curriculum-set-change/22118827/

Edited by JohnC
I don't know what they expect them to do, but I know what WILL happen. Americas children are fast becoming the laughing stock of the earth.

Meanwhile, some 12 year old Chinese girl is solving some string theory equation before her violin lessons.
  • Like 3
Hmm I will teach these subjects in homeschooling of my kids and they could always be surveyors and not have any competition in their age group. Thanks for the heads-up

Don't kid yourself JohnC, high school of the future is intermediate indoctrination and the 2 free years of college is Advanced Voter Training.
  • Like 3
A big problem with public schools, besides taking the paddle out, is now we have a high %age of delinquents dumbing down the rest of the class.

Public schools are turning into detention centers. Smart kids whose parents can't afford to send them to private are suffering greatly.

IMO this is where the vouchers could help over time IF government stays out of the way. Good students and teachers make a decent school and a learning environment.

What we see now is the effects of what the 70's era of busing out of districts has caused, government has been busing poor dumb kids into good schools and taking down their previous high scoring, high achieving students.

Dumbing down society is exactly right and once again liberalism is to blame.

This type of garbage has been going on for years. I was talking with my Son the other day about back when he was in school. He had one teacher that didn't teach but would just give out an assignment to the class and then get on the computer in the class room the entire period. One day he had a question about the assignment and made an attempt to walk up and ask the teacher the question. She stopped him short of her desk and asked him what he wanted. He said he had a question about the assignment and she told him that this was not a question and answer period and told him to return to his seat. He did as she instructed and when class was over he walked up and put his text book on her desk. She ask him what he was doing and he said turning my book in so my parents do not get charged for it at the end of the year. I won't need it since your not going to teach out of it. He went the last 3 months of that class without ever completing an assignment and she gave him a C+ for the year and he was moved to the next grade. That is how they taught back then and it has not improved yet. That was back in 1982. I look for i to get much worse and not better......................jmho

Maybe Nashville is different than redneck-ville east TN, but I feel certain they're not going to stop teaching algebra and geometry.  They're just changing the names of the classes to something less scary sounding.  Kinda like Comcast changing it's name to Xfinity...

I've had conversations with my kid's teachers about the common core stuff and they all think it's stupid too.  They view it as nothing more than the current fad and are patiently waiting for it to pass. 

• Like 3

Maybe Nashville is different than redneck-ville east TN, but I feel certain they're not going to stop teaching algebra and geometry.  They're just changing the names of the classes to something less scary sounding.  Kinda like Comcast changing it's name to Xfinity...

I've had conversations with my kid's teachers about the common core stuff and they all think it's stupid too.  They view it as nothing more than the current fad and are patiently waiting for it to pass. 

I am going to say I believe it is the same. They are changing the name so there is a more linear progression to the classes. Back in the days when I was in school we had Math Tech, Advanced Math Tech, Algebra, Geometry, Advanced Algebra  and then Physics.

I just see this as eliminating three courses, consolidated and renaming.

I don't think the sky is falling anymore than it already is.

For the record my daughter will be going to private school as soon as she is done with elementary school.

Are they serious? Now this is dumb! :shake:

Posted Thursday, January 22nd 2015 @ 8pm  by News Center

(Nashville, TN)  --  Metro Nashville Public Schools is eliminating Algebra and Geometry. 

The district says they're installing a new curriculum next year that will introduce three levels of Integrated Math, which teaches students to see relationships between concepts.  Informational meetings will be held to help parents understand the transition.

http://www.wlac.com/articles/wlac-local-news-220452/mnps-eliminating-algebra-geometry-13176681

Good old Common Core concept.

I forgot that one, it existed back in my day.

Back in the day for me and mine it was Math - Algebra - Geometry - Algebra II (or advanced if you like) - Calculus and then whatever ciphers of satan came after that.

Thankfully I never had to go past Al II.

And yes, Raoul this is some Common Core lunacy I'm sure.  "How do you feel about the relationships between the variables and unrelated tangents" kinda crap.

Edited by Garufa
I went from Algebra, Geometry, Algerbra II & Triganometry, Pre-cal, and Calculus.

I'm no genius, and I don't remember being intimidated by the names or having a lack of fluidity. Sometimes I wonder of they're fixing a problem that doesn't exist, or worse a problem they created.
  • Like 1

Maybe Nashville is different than redneck-ville east TN, but I feel certain they're not going to stop teaching algebra and geometry. They're just changing the names of the classes to something less scary sounding. Kinda like Comcast changing it's name to Xfinity...

I've had conversations with my kid's teachers about the common core stuff and they all think it's stupid too. They view it as nothing more than the current fad and are patiently waiting for it to pass.

So nashville isn't going to delete the classes just change the names ?

That speaks volumes about how intelligent the school administrators think the parents and teachers are, lol.

So nashville isn't going to delete the classes just change the names ?

That speaks volumes about how intelligent the school administrators think the parents and teachers are, lol.

It's political correctness.  Algebra and geometry are too hard for some children so they're renaming it.  It's still the same thing...just has a brainwashed name.

• Like 1