300 WM at 1800 yards

Went out the other day and stretched the 300 WM out to 1800 yards shooting the Berger 230 grain OTM and made several hits and recovered a bullet from the bone pile we setup to shoot at.

The bullet, it retained 216.4 grains after impact. Plenty enough to put some hurt on something.

aea06884e6da990c770750a33e2d54d8_zps5c75

c924bb441db1a5cb062a9408960fe6f8_zps4455

Here's the target. The target area was roughly a 10-12" area. So most definitely shooting under 1 moa at that distance.

ACC658BF-15A2-4351-BBF0-AADE41AA283E_zps

Here are impacts near the target. Those impacts were withing a good 6-8" area of the intended hit. The target was on a steep hill so the pictures really don't show that.

30C6B237-FA0E-4B2F-A859-29EE05B505A2_zps

Now here's a look back to the shooting area from the impact area. I don't know how to mark the spot on photo bucket but we were in the small opening in the tree line at around 11:00 in the photo.

664A535B-8899-4299-B3D4-5486026A5C9D_zps

These were shot by myself using my custom built BAT action with a Lilja 1.300 dia 3 groove 1-10 twist x30" the brass was Lapua using a F215 m primer and 75 grains of H1000 the scope was a NF 12-42 benchrest with a 40 moa base and the Barrett 15-40 moa rings. The rifle zeros in at 1600 yards with the turrets bottomed out.

Edited by jphillips63

Good shooting.

Marking a photo?

Open the pic in "Paint"(comes with windows), pick a "pencil" tool, then pick a "color".

Now put a spot where you want in the pic and "save". 

I grabbed you pic, put a few "marks" and saved it.

[URL=http://s896.photobucket.com/user/redintn/media/userrange_zpsf523b4ab.jpg.html]userrange_zpsf523b4ab.jpg[/URL]

Edited by RED333

I want to build a LONG range rifle but I have no place to really stretch its legs. I have ORSA but it is over an hour one way but I just cannot go that far. Heck, I would be happy with shooting 223 or even 300 Blackout at 500 yards.

That is a heck of a shot, a lot of variables had to be in tune to make that shot. Definitely takes a lot more skill than I have.

I'm putting together a 338 Lapua improved now. STE is 25 minutes from the house. They have 1250 yard targets and plans for 1500. I'm looking for an area where I can get it out to about 2000. Probably going to Ohio. LOL

Stay near "Buck Eye" Lake when you go up to Thunder Valley. It's about an hour away because there is nothing around the range.

I want to build a LONG range rifle but I have no place to really stretch its legs. I have ORSA but it is over an hour one way but I just cannot go that far. Heck, I would be happy with shooting 223 or even 300 Blackout at 500 yards.

That is a heck of a shot, a lot of variables had to be in tune to make that shot. Definitely takes a lot more skill than I have.

I drove three hours yesterday just to chrono 15 rounds at 1,000 yards but as my wife says, I'm crazy!  :)

• Like 1