TN Long Rifle .45 Percussion at the Range. Lessons for me.

I finally got a chance to dial in my percussion rifle. I had to do a little smithy work on the rear Wiliams Aperture sight as the previous owner had it mounted

about a 1/2 inch to low. I remounted it by drill and tapping new holes in the plate. I got everything ready and loaded up the truck tp head to the range.

I started my sight in at 50 yds and after 3 shots I was pretty much centered on the bull. I shot a three shot group of about 1/2 inch to confirm the sight in.

A friend had stuck ip a ram at 75 yds and a 7 inch round plate at 112 yds. I held just on top of the back of the ram and hit it just above the shoulder. My buddy

asked how many clicks of up I had given it and I told him I just used hold over. He then told me he was using 15 clicks of up to go from 50-->75 yds.  I gave the Williams 15 clicks of up and laid on dead center. I put the first one dead center but right at the bottom on his belly. The second one was a 1/2 inch right of it.

I gave it 3 clicks of up and bang...dead center. So I asked my buddy how many clicks he uses to get to 112 yds. Answer was 35 clicks of up.

So, now I dial in the 35 clicks and fire a round. It's low. Just under it. I fire another one which just hits the the base at 4 o'clock. Im thinking Im low so I 

give it four clicks of up. It hits 1/2 inch south of center.  I reload and fire another one. It touches high, on the edge, at 1 o'clock. Hmmm, let's try that again.

Now it's way high off the target. High Right.  I say to my bud, something must be loose somewhere and I hope it's my my screw.

He asked if I had cleaned it. I told him I performed my usual ritual of running a damp patch down the barrel between each shot. He said he normally runs 

a brush down his after 5 rounds and the reason for it is the dirt that accumulates during firing and increases the pressure. Higher pressure makes the 

bullet running hotter and hit higher. I ran a brush through it then reloaded and bang! Low center mass. I fired 2 more. Ding, Ding. Lesson learned! 

I thought I'd pass on this learning experience with BP.

Pics: looks like a beater but she will shoot lights out. 

TNLR1_zpsc1aa4e92.jpgTNLR4_zps12b48068.jpgTNLR3_zpsbddc2f44.jpg

DaveS. I plan to start again on dialing in the Flintlock next week. 

About my setup.

My rifle is home (read custom) built years ago using a Douglas .45 Cal barrel.

A double set trigger that will go off if you don;t keep your finger off the it.

It has a Williams Aperture Rear Sight that's windage and elevation adjustable.

A front Globe Sight with inserts that was soldiered on.

Since it's a percussion I use Triple 7, FFG. 35 gr. for a target load.

Blue Stripped pillow ticking works for a patch cut to 3/4 inch square.

Patches are wet in water then the excess water is pinched out.

I also use an aluminum arrow with a funnel on top as a drop tube to minimize powder on the sides if the barrel. Then I use a rubber mallet

to tap around the breech area to ensure the powder gets into the channel. 

I still have to drill and fit the ramrod knurls on it.

Edited by Lowpower
  • Like 3

Low... I love these old percussion rifles too... Great shootin... When my son wuz younger, we used to go to the Alvin York "Over the Log" shoots at the home place in Pall Mall in late March ever year... I've seen these old rifles do some real shootin if the guys holdin them knew what they were doin....

Have fun and keep your powder dry,

leroy

• 3 weeks later...