Anyone run irons only on an AR?

I have been going back and forth in my mind about running irons only on my AR. This particular AR (my first) is meant to be a basic light SHTF type gun. I currently have the Vortex Sparc II on it at absolute co-witness with a Magpul MBUS rear. I have never tried any other irons other than the magpul so I don't know what to expect. I am looking at something like the Troy fixed rear or the dioptic sight.

Do any of you guys run irons only and have any advice on what to expect? Should I be able to get ALMOST as fast target acquisition with irons with practice?

I've never had a optic on my own AR.  I put one on my wife's, but that's her preference.  Having only used a red dot a very limited amount, I can't comment on speed comparison, but accuracy-wise, they're as good as, or maybe better than, a red dot.  Some people (not me) can shoot irons out to 1000 yards as well as a scope.  

If you're going pure irons, might as well pick up a carrying handle to go completely retro.

The only true advantages to a red dot are for targets <50 meters/yards, IMO.  Anything further out requires the same fundamentals for either or.  I really wish more people would start out shooting on iron sights, get the basics down, then transition to a red dot. But, this is the real world and people want to only do the cool things.

• Like 1

If you're going pure irons, might as well pick up a carrying handle to go completely retro.

The only true advantages to a red dot are for targets <50 meters/yards, IMO.  Anything further out requires the same fundamentals for either or.  I really wish more people would start out shooting on iron sights, get the basics down, then transition to a red dot. But, this is the real world and people want to only do the cool things.

I shot irons for a long time then I got spoiled with various scopes. Then about three years ago I fell back in love with irons and use them as often as I can.

Depends on what you expect. Inside of 15 yards you should be able to "point-n-click" a target with practice. From 15-100 yards I would use a sight that has a larger rear aperture and for anything beyond 100 I would use the small aperture.

I really like how the MBUS I have now has the flip down/up aperture and am pretty solid with it shooting from a rest out to 100. The gun itself is a tack driver so if I do my part it will do its part. I will say I like the look of the Daniel Defense the most. 

Not cheap, but the diamondhead sights are awesome. Diamond aperture is a lot more natural for my eyes to acquire and align.

Not quite as fast as a red dot but fairly close once you practice a while.

They are folding sights, but lock very solidly. Edited by jonathon1289

maroon... I've got a 450 bushmaster sittin in the corner with iron sights (...with tritium inserts...)... It's for repelling borders and bad situations... Iron sights are meant for such things... No batteries, no ON-OFF switch, no nothin...

leroy

• Like 1

maroon... I've got a 450 bushmaster sittin in the corner with iron sights (...with tritium inserts...)... It's for repelling borders and bad situations... Iron sights are meant for such things... No batteries, no ON-OFF switch, no nothin...

leroy

The thing I like the most is no on/off switch. I realize I can spend $400 and get an Aimpoint PRO to leave on but I just don't want to spend that much. :pleased:

• Like 1

Yeah, I did one of mine with carry handle, just for the older look mainly. Then later even added a cheap 4x scope to mimic the first AR GI scope setup too. See through handle mount, can use irons without removing scope.

AR-CarryHandle.jpg

Completely non-optimum, scope too high, added quick clip stock riser to compensate for cheek weld. All for no real practical reason, but works fine -- the joy of having different ones to toy with, eh?

AR-CarryHandleFull.jpg

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot