My First AR15!!

LenoirGunner

So I was down in Harriman, TN at a local pawn shop just browsing when I came across and AR smith and Wesson labeled as being a .223 for $600. I asked to look at it and in closer inspection it was a 5.56 smith and Wesson m&p 15. Troy rear flip sight and front A sight. Quard rail with a 30 round p mag and 6 position stock. It has some small scratches on the barrel but I could not pass up on the price. After showing her the scratches and how dirty it was she knocked it down to $502- $560 OTD with a box of ammo. I get home with it and do some research and it is a M&p15x which MSRP is $1300! She told me she had priced it herself off of what she saw online and she priced it as a Sport model. Then gun is in great shape all cleaned up (apart from the small scratches) and I am going to shoot it this Saturday. Any suggestions, comments, concerns for a first time AR owner?

• Like 6

If she priced it for $502 I wonder what she gave the guy that sold it??? or stole and sold it.... :stunned:  Either way great find! I'm in the same boat as you with my first. Be prepared to spend a little dough figuring out what accessories you like. Changing the stock grip was one of my best bang for the buck purchases.

After showing her the scratches and how dirty it was she knocked it down to $502- $560 OTD with a box of ammo. I get home with it and do some research and it is a M&p15x which MSRP is $1300! She told me she had priced it herself off of what she saw online and she priced it as a Sport model. Then gun is in great shape all cleaned up (apart from the small scratches) and I am going to shoot it this Saturday. Any suggestions, comments, concerns for a first time AR owner?

The MSRP for an AR these days isn't anything firm, unless the lower is stamped Colt or Daniel Defense.  But you did get a great, great, deal on your first AR.

You would be surprised at how many people do only the bare bones cleaning on their guns.  It doesn't take too much time to give your weapon the love and attention it deserves and it actually relaxes me.

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 1

So I was down in Harriman, TN at a local pawn shop just browsing when I came across and AR smith and Wesson labeled as being a .223 for $600. I asked to look at it and in closer inspection it was a 5.56 smith and Wesson m&p 15. Troy rear flip sight and front A sight. Quard rail with a 30 round p mag and 6 position stock. It has some small scratches on the barrel but I could not pass up on the price. After showing her the scratches and how dirty it was she knocked it down to $502- $560 OTD with a box of ammo. I get home with it and do some research and it is a M&p15x which MSRP is $1300! She told me she had priced it herself off of what she saw online and she priced it as a Sport model. Then gun is in great shape all cleaned up (apart from the small scratches) and I am going to shoot it this Saturday. Any suggestions, comments, concerns for a first time AR owner?

Man, what a great deal! My first AR was an M&P too and boy was I excited! Congrats on your first of many :up: (yep, it's true)

Suggestions? Imagine what you think you wanna put on it, write it down on paper in an envelope and seal it for a year. One year from now, open it and bet you a dollar you say "Damn, what was I thinking wanting all that heavy crap on there?" HA HA But seriously, you have yourself an adult lego set, enjoy it.

• Like 1
rugerla1, on 29 Jan 2015 - 7:55 PM, said:

Man, what a great deal! My first AR was an M&P too and boy was I excited! Congrats on your first of many :up: (yep, it's true)

Suggestions? Imagine what you think you wanna put on it, write it down on paper in an envelope and seal it for a year. One year from now, open it and bet you a dollar you say "Damn, what was I thinking wanting all that heavy crap on there?" HA HA But seriously, you have yourself an adult lego set, enjoy it.

Actually the whole tacticool thing does not appeal to me at all. I don't want a gun loaded up with useless goodies. I like plain and simple and useful upgrades. 45 degree sights with 6 grips and 12 different sights lasers light shows with enough flashlight to land an airplane does not appeal to me at all. I am thinking all I may do is put an angled forward grip.

• Like 1

Let me see if I can figure out how to get them on here.

Send me the rifle and I'll take pictures and post for you :lol:
Disclaimer: Rifle may appear slightly used when returned haha. Can't wait to see the pictures though, simply because I remember how excited I was with my first AR!
rugerla1, on 31 Jan 2015 - 9:49 PM, said:

Send me the rifle and I'll take pictures and post for you :lol:
Disclaimer: Rifle may appear slightly used when returned haha. Can't wait to see the pictures though, simply because I remember how excited I was with my first AR!

Got photos on the computer. Just cant figure out how to paste them on here

Got photos on the computer. Just cant figure out how to paste them on here

I use photobucket, some use other sites. If you upload to Photobucket, click "direct link" to the right of the photo, then paste into the photo tab above comment section (looks like a window pane).
Back during the Obama panic buying frenzy, THIS is what myself and several others here on TGO tried to warn everyone about.

It's simple economics. A market that spikes fast, tanks fast. The market exploded like a hydrogen bomb, now......deals abound. Especially to the patient and diligent.

Awesome score! Good for you.
  • Like 1