2nd. Amendment Tax Free Holiday in Tennessee.

That's great if I hold off on buying a gun once a year.  I'd rather see legislation that gets rid of the background check fee for HCP holders.

No tax on the first weekend of every month would be nice but once a year doesn't do much for me.

• Like 1

Agreed. This will never pass, wasted effort and grandstanding to my eyes.

I suspect it will pass, as it means nothing, is a "grand stand" act which is form over substance and the legislators can stand up and pound their chest about being "2nd Amendment friendly". 

If they want to make a REAL difference and show support for firearms owners, pass a bill allowing HCP holders, hunting license holders and members of gun ranges a tax free weekend on everything!  I am truck shopping at the moment...

• Like 1

I suspect it will pass, as it means nothing, is a "grand stand" act which is form over substance and the legislators can stand up and pound their chest about being "2nd Amendment friendly". 

If they want to make a REAL difference and show support for firearms owners, pass a bill allowing HCP holders, hunting license holders and members of gun ranges a tax free weekend on everything!  I am truck shopping at the moment...

Agreed.  Before they adjourn, they will want to boast about any 'successes' they had and if you want this to be the one they stand up and say they did for gun owners, support it.  I still want legislation with a lot more substance.

Agreed.  Before they adjourn, they will want to boast about any 'successes' they had and if you want this to be the one they stand up and say they did for gun owners, support it.  I still want legislation with a lot more substance.

No reason not to write and ask for support of any other legislation we want, the legislature will support or reject any other legislation brought up before them like they have always done, the tax free weekend legislation wont change future legislation one way or the other.

I think it's a great way to promote the second amendment! That is more of the point than to save a few bucks. It can be win win because of the message itself. I didn't see golf or school supplies in any part of the constitution, I think necessities such as clothes and food shouldn't be taxed to begin with personally.  To me the message is to remind the citizens of Tennessee of their 2A right and the importance of it.

The effort involved to draft this legislation cannot take more than a couple of hours (if that). It is merely adding a couple of lines to a piece of correspondence, of course it is the government and there could be a machine in place to prevent simple procedures. 

BZ to my rep! 

• Like 1

It is a farce, which is about 99% of all the "sausage" prepped and stuffed somewhere on the Hill.

Do you have any of that substantive legislation written, sponsors in the House and Senate and a list of co-sponsors, vetted through Legal?  Session is beginning, most House members have their quota on the books (their promised paybacks to donors take first presidence) , if it is not picked up and filed by now, will be next year at best most likely.

Edited by Worriedman
  • Like 1

I know there's alot of legislation and bills we would like to see introduced and brought to the floor and we complain about it here when they don't, but how many of us will take some time and write a good thought out e-mail to our reps and senators explaining our concerns? Then I have heard, well there's no use in writing my rep or senator since they are liberal or never vote my way. Well, write to another rep or senator even if they are not in your district and send a carbon copy(cc) to your rep, if it's state legislation it affects you, so in a way all the reps and senators are representing what you want. I admit I haven't written in a while but these posts reminded me that I should, i've written a couple to Mary Littleton but I haven't written yet to my new Senator Kerry Roberts which I will do soon. If you feel your rep isn't motivated to propose or sponser pro-2nd Amendment bills write them anyway. Instead of complaining all the time on TGO about what is and is not on the floor of the legislature, write and complain to those who can make it happen. I'm not saying don't complain here but we need to express our opinions and wishes to them also. If we never write to our reps then we can share a little in the blame as to why we don't have the laws that we really want.

Edited by K191145
  • Like 1

On a personal level I'm all for it,,,,,,, here it comes,,,,,,,,,,,,, BUT if we have a tax free weekend for guns and ammo sales the golf guys would want a weekend. The softball guys would want a weekend, etc.. etc.. How about doing everybody a favor and stop sales tax on food? It costs too much to put food on the table now.

They very well might, however, golf & softball guys don't require background cks. to buy equipment @ $10

a pop, or pay thru the nose for a permit to play. Rather skinny leg to stand on.

• Like 4

How about this letter? Might be a little long winded.

Senator Kerry Roberts

25th. State Senate District

State Of Tennessee

Senator Roberts:

As a lifelong resident of Kingston Springs Tennessee, NRA member and handgun carry permit holder I would like to express my appreciation to the Tennessee State Legislature for passing many pro-2nd Amendment bills the last couple of decades making Tennessee a state that supports and believes in it’s citizens 2nd Amendment rights.

In the near future I and many other permit holders I’ve talked to would like to see the opt-out provision for city and local parks in TN. Code 39-17-1311 removed from the law. We believe that citizens should be able to defend ourselves when hiking, biking and camping in secluded areas of all parks in Tennessee. As you know permit holders are some of the most law abiding, responsible citizens in the state and criminal elements never abide by or care about laws and gun free zones. That gives the advantage to the criminal who is determined to commit assault, robbery, and even murder against un-armed defenseless people and their families.

I do realize there would be resistance from those who will not view this in a logical manner but there has been the same resistance to every pro-2nd. Amendment bill that has been voted on and passed since the first shall issue law was passed many years ago in Tennessee. There will be resistance, some negative media but after a short time has passed, the law will be accepted and those who would oppose it will move on to other business, that has been the case for every pro-gun/carry law passed in the state.

Most permit holders and I would appreciate it if you would seriously consider and discuss this with your fellow Senators. Thank you for taking the time to read my letter concerning this issue.

Sincerely:

Jon

Kingston Springs TN.

I just started another thread on this in the hunting section because I didn't see this one.  Sorry. 

The majority of this bill refers to hunting equipment and supplies and given the time frame of the weekend, I would say that the bill is geared towards hunting more than any Pro 2A act.  

Do you have any of that substantive legislation written, sponsors in the House and Senate and a list of co-sponsors, vetted through Legal?  Session is beginning, most House members have their quota on the books (their promised paybacks to donors take first presidence) , if it is not picked up and filed by now, will be next year at best most likely.

Isn't that what TFA is for and why I'm a member?  Or is it on the members to donate money, help spread the word and write/lobby for legislation to the members of the GA.

Worriedman said:

Isn't that what TFA is for and why I'm a member?  Or is it on the members to donate money, help spread the word and write/lobby for legislation to the members of the GA.

We do write legislation, seek sponsors and cosponsors and meet with legal to vet them, and, ride the fiscal note pony to boot.  If you think that your membership dues buy you a bunch of bills, I nor anyone else can help you much.  I pay my money, do all those things, plus donate to the PAC, volunteer my time, get on the radio, drive across the State to speak where people want to listen on my dime, and take no gratuities, (and yes, a few do care to hear what I have to say).  I give to GOA and am an Endowment Member of the NRA, all on a concrete finishers wages, all while working a full time job and caring for aged parents, a very sick wife, plus play with my grand kids when I can.  I have more to do than sit on my can and carp.

I get it, that nobody else is responsible for my safety or my future, but me.  If I am not willing to do the heavy lifting why the hell would I expect anybody else to?

Edited by Worriedman