Under 21 car carry.

My daughter was threatened today at work. I used to work with the guy who did it. I will put the whole story on here when I get to computer not phone. I am sure this has been covered but I can't find it. Under the new car carry law is there an age limit. I have the guys number and am going to call him after I have calmed down where I won't say something that can be considered a threat.

JTM
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My daughter works retail in a cell phone store where she is there alone about half of the time. The problem is that a customer that worked with me in retail for about 3 months, had a habbit of going in the First store my daughter worked at once a week or more to "check out the new technology." This is basically code for a 50+ year old guy going down to the cell store to hit on all the young girls. He actually told me this when he saw my daughter in the store and asked what she was doing there. Today he goes to one store to complain about not getting his rebate back on a phone or something. The people there told him they couldn't help him because the rebate was through the manufacturer and they are a franchise. So he goes to the store my daughter works at in the next town over and goes through the same thing, he blows a gasket and starts yelling and cussing my daughter and she tells him, "you are not going to talk to me that way, you need to leave or she would call the police." He stormed out screaming, "I will see you on the street!!!" My daughter called a Humboldt PD officer she knows to come down and file a report and then called me. That was 5 hours ago and I am still so mad that I can't think. My daughter actually said,"I cant wait uuntil I turn 21 where I can protect myself." I also need suggestions on a small frame handgun with low recoil and dependable....Preferably no external safety in 9mm or .380. Think 120lb  5'6" girl.

I would not call him, I WOULD call the authorities. If you call him then it could turn into a he said-she said situation and you could get in trouble. Always be the first person to call the law so your story is first. The first story tends to be viewed as the truth.

And honestly, what is a phone call going to do? There is no way I would be trying to talk anything out with someone who threatened my family. And without the threat, and fear, of something anything you say might as well be said looking at a tree. And only the law would have the authority to act on a threat to your daughter.

I told her until I can get her a car gun, soup can and tube sock. The police did file a report and were suppose to call him. I told her not to leave work alone for any reason, even if it is just a girlfriend. I live an hour away from her work or i would do it myself. I also told her if she is forced to walk out alone call the PD dispatch number and see if they have anyone in the area to drive by while she walks out.

Pretty much the same scenario happened to my niece a little while back. I gave her pepper spray and her father called the sheriff dept. They sent a Deputy by to visit the trouble maker to inform him of the complaint, and that it would be in his best interest to avoid her at all costs. So far there have been no further problems.
  • Like 1

There are some sick people out there. It is a damn shame that someone can't protect them self in any way they see fit. These laws restricting handgun carry to 21 just doesn't seem right. If you are old enough to defend this great nation, then you should be able to protect yourself with a handgun at 18.

The Police are involved; as a former cop I would suggest you don’t call him. He knows who she is and he knows she is your daughter; he obviously isn’t worried about that. If he can goat you into a threat the tables can turn quickly.

The advice you gave your daughter is good advice; but it’s good all the time. Chances are if someone is going to grab a girl leaving a store it won’t be by someone they know. Teach her what situational awareness is.

Doesn't Kimber make a two shot pepper spray pistol thingy? That might be good

I read a story where a guy used one of those on an aggressive ground hog. Worked like a charm. Seems ground hogs don't care for a blast of pepper to the face.

Guys, just thought I would post up a recent encounter I had with an LEO in east TN. IM UNDER 21, and lawfully own handguns. Needless to stay I was stopped for a moving violation and the fact I had a handgun in the car came to light. I will post the full story later, but I was detained for 45 minutes, and later released after a long discussion of the law. The LEO shows me an opinion from the TN Attorney General that stated "in his opinion" a person under 21 could not carry a handgun in their vehicle but COULD carry long guns. Just be aware, that opinion is out there and dated October 2014. I plan on writing the AG to get him to hopefully retract his opinion.

..The LEO shows me an opinion from the TN Attorney General that stated "in his opinion" a person under 21 could not carry a handgun in their vehicle but COULD carry long guns. Just be aware, that opinion is out there and dated October 2014....

Cop is carrying around a TN AG opinion?  I don't know what he showed you but I don't believe was anything from AG since the law changed last legislative session.

Here are AFAIK all 2014 opinions rendered:

http://www.tn.gov/attorneygeneral/op/2014/2014toc.html

And not in this year's either, so I'm smelling some horse pucky somewhere.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Guys, just thought I would post up a recent encounter I had with an LEO in east TN. IM UNDER 21, and lawfully own handguns. Needless to stay I was stopped for a moving violation and the fact I had a handgun in the car came to light. I will post the full story later, but I was detained for 45 minutes, and later released after a long discussion of the law. The LEO shows me an opinion from the TN Attorney General that stated "in his opinion" a person under 21 could not carry a handgun in their vehicle but COULD carry long guns. Just be aware, that opinion is out there and dated October 2014. I plan on writing the AG to get him to hopefully retract his opinion.

If you are over 18 Tennessee law does not prohibit you from buying a handgun. FFL’s are prohibited by Federal law and licensing provisions from selling you one; but that doesn’t mean it is illegal for you to purchase or possess one.

Police are not bound by AG’s opinions and neither are the courts.

Believe me!  I respectfully explained that AG opinions do not have the force of law, but there was no reasoning.  I even showed him the TCA codes and explained how it was not federally illegal for me to own one...  I tried to explain that for over 30 minutes with no joy from the LEO.  He called his Sherrif buddies to "check the law"...  

OS - I went back and checked and like you found nothing good.  He actually showed me on his in-car computer and there was some form of legal document.  I am wondering if it was some internal directive from a state attorney.  

It looks like to me if you are in legal possession of the firearm, then you can have it loaded in your car when you are 18.  You have to be 18 to possess a handgun in Tennessee, unless you have permission from your parents to use it in certain activities, like target shooting.