Suppressor covers

I have been looking online at these, mainly the HAD at Rifles Only. My question as a future first time suppressor owner is are these really necessary from a handling standpoint? I plan on training with my suppressor and don't want to burn myself or touch anything that will melt due to heat. I guess I am just wanting to make sure these things are not just hype that are not needed or if they are truly a useful item for someone that would be performing firearm transitions....

Yes, they are very effective.  My application is primarily on a bolt gun to mitigate mirage, but it is very nice being able to just take the can off and pack up after a trip to the range.  Otherwise I would have to wait for quite some time for the can to cool enough to put in my range bag.  Your application is different, but the end result is the same.  If you were to do several long strings of fire, I would remove the cover in between drills though.  I believe the HAD is rated for heavy fire though, so disregard if you've done the research on it.

I melted a case, a rug, and part of a range bag before I bought a cover.  Took me a while to learn my lesson, but they are worth every penny IMO.

I see...my biggest concern was possibly burning myself during transitions to my pistol during training...is that not an issue to be worried about?? I don't plan on burning through a mag in one fell swoop, but didn't know how 2-4 shot groups in during a drill over the course of a few minutes would affect the temp. Forgive my ignorance on this, as I said this is my 1st suppressor and don't want to learn certain things the hard way...

I actually started wrapping mine in cotton canvas and using a couple of rubber bands to hold it in place. Yeah it is ghetto but it works great. And when the rubber bands break from heat you know it is time for a break. I think having a cover makes the can a bit quieter as well.

20 rounds of subsonic 300 Blackout will make my can too hot to handle. 5.56 would be way worse.

So, what are some ways you guys use to handle and transport the suppressor after use?? I may be shooting this initially at an indoor range and it may not have adequate time to cool before I leave....

A pair of oven mitts from wal-mart's kitchen or grilling section works for me. I use one to handle the hot suppressor and simply drop it into the second for storage and transportation. Friend uses welding gloves, which seem to work just as well.

Very similar to .mil barrel change gloves minus the asbestos, and much cheaper.

Barrel-Change-Asbestos-Glove.jpg

Edited by 2.ooohhh
  • Like 1

You can also use an oven mitt until you get a purpose built cover.  Silencershop usually sends one with suppressor purchases.  I would wrap it around the can and use parachord to hold it on.  I'll take a pic of the setup later, but it works well.

Yeah you'd probably burn yourself.   It gets HOT!  And quicker than you would expect.  Just keep in mind that the more you use the wrap, the more heat you are trapping in. 

DO NOT practice live-fire rifle-to-handgun transitions while wearing shorts.

#lessonslearnedthehardway

• Like 4
I have a silicon oven pad I use for handling after things get hot. it works great and if I needed to wrap the can I guess I could, though the silicone would hold in more heat than a regular wrap I imagine. Still, can't beat the cost. My sister had more than she needed so I made free with one of hers :D .
  • 3 weeks later...
I bought a pair of welder's gloves from Co-op . I'm sure Tractor Supply would have them. I mainly use them to make sure the can stays tight. My 5.56 gets wicked hot, even glows after a few mag dumps [emoji91][emoji91][emoji91]

"Welcome to Tennessee...the patron State of shooting stuff"
  • Admin Team
Y'all be careful using welder's gloves. They're meant for momentary contact - not handling. They'll keep your hands nice and cool right up to the point where you get third degree burns. Once they heat up, you won't be able to get them off fast enough.
  • Like 1

Y'all be careful using welder's gloves. They're meant for momentary contact - not handling. They'll keep your hands nice and cool right up to the point where you get third degree burns. Once they heat up, you won't be able to get them off fast enough.

Thanks for that. Didn't know, and my hands are rather important for my career...just sayin:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk