Windows 10?

DaveTN

It's a mishmash of windows 7 and windows 8, the previous build version from back in December felt more like windows 7 with its menus and I liked it much more than them putting all of those enormous buttons into the menu again.  It's like they started to go forward with making it more user friendly and then just said screw it, we gave them a start button, that's all they're gonna get back. 

It also seems to be heavily reliant on web-based apps and connectivity for things such as integrated cloud drives (which is good) and it tries to make it look like you have to sign up for a microsoft account just to install/login to it.  Other issue is that it is having a lot of small problems with VMWare, after the last set of patches my start menu button stopped working, it told me that AVG Antivirus isn't sufficient so it blocked it and started using Microsoft's built in Defender and so on.  It will get better as far as functionality goes as this is isn't the production release, but from everything I can see, they are trying their damnedest to force you into doing things their way and using their stuff.

I'll post a screenshot of the menu after while, gotta figure out what is wrong with it not opening first.

• Like 1

Yeah VMware is what I use on the Macs - I don't like Windows at all, but have to have it to run Microsoft Project and a few other security applications for school.

Any program I have put on Win10 has ran fine, I don't think there will be an issue at the magnitude of XP to Win7 compatibility that we seen, but each application is different, so without a doubt there will be some problems.

I installed it last week, it is OK, but I prefer 7.  It does boot faster thought.

I have not had any trouble yet, only 1 minor issue.

It comes with Flash for IE preinstalled, however I could not install flash for Firefox by going to the adobe page.   Seems I needed at least some basic flash to get the initial install which I thought was stupid.  I could go though all the way to the download.  I ended up downloading an older flash, then upgrading.  Other people told me they did not have that issue.

On a plus, it actually found and installed my network printer which I was kinda amazed it did.

Edited by vontar

New problems, now it won't auto adjust the resolution when you change the window size in vmware and after a reboot all of the text associated with the task bar functions changes to some random unreadable font.  It is awesome!  At least the start button started working again so I can show you this horrible menu layout.

Screen_Shot_2015_02_02_at_6_57_39_PM.png

What they done was said "oh, you want the start menu back?  Here it is." but all they did was basically take the desktop buttons on windows 8 and cram them into a menu.

Edited by Sam1

I forced myself to use Windows 8 by installing it on my work computers. I actually got used to using the tiled interface. I thought I would hate it, but I actually find it OK now. I appreciate the live tiles, like weather and news.

I loaded Win 10 in a VM on my home PC and noticed right off that the tiled interface was missing, being replaced by a horrible version of the start menu. You can flip between the the startmenu, or the tiles, but not both, if I recall correctly. The New Start Menu is horrible. It flys out these bulky tiles, which are difficult to navigate.

I had heard that they were revamping the PowerShell app to function more like other programs where Copy / Paste worked from Ctl-C / Ctl-V, and be able to select text in wrap-around format instead of block. Unfortunately, this feature is not available in the preview.

I have been hearing rumors that it will be a free upgrade for people who own Win8.

I forced myself to use Windows 8 by installing it on my work computers. I actually got used to using the tiled interface. I thought I would hate it, but I actually find it OK now. I appreciate the live tiles, like weather and news.

I loaded Win 10 in a VM on my home PC and noticed right off that the tiled interface was missing, being replaced by a horrible version of the start menu. You can flip between the the startmenu, or the tiles, but not both, if I recall correctly. The New Start Menu is horrible. It flys out these bulky tiles, which are difficult to navigate.

I had heard that they were revamping the PowerShell app to function more like other programs where Copy / Paste worked from Ctl-C / Ctl-V, and be able to select text in wrap-around format instead of block. Unfortunately, this feature is not available in the preview.

I have been hearing rumors that it will be a free upgrade for people who own Win8.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/2872579/windows-10-will-be-a-free-upgrade-for-many-during-its-first-year.html

Quote:

The first big news: Windows 10 will be offered as a free upgrade to current users of Windows 8.1, Windows Phone 8.1 and Windows 7 during its first year of availability.