What CCW Mag Pouch are You Using?

Guest Daryl Coda

Guest Daryl Coda

For me, the $10 Glock mag pouch works better than all the other pouches in the shoebox, and it can be tweaked to fit some M&P mags.

http://youtu.be/e9yDIw5OXs8

Edited by Daryl Coda

Ive heard others liking the Glock mag carriers. The biggest negative for me would be having to thread it through my belt for on-off.

I Haven't found a way to carry a spare on my hip without it printing fairly bad on me. Sure, just standing it isn't to noticeable - but one you stand bending and reaching ect, ect. - it becomes quite noticeable IMO, and it's very easy for my shirt to get caught up on or behind the mag.

I've just finally decided to use a desantis pocket holster for my spare mag. Conceals and carries with no prob, but does have the down side of not being the fastest and easiest access for mag changes.

Carry is all about compromises and trade offs though.

• Administrator

Look, I know you signed up on a multitude of gun forums the same day you signed up here (Google is a wonderful tool) and it really seems that your reason for doing so is to post these videos on all of them and drive traffic up on your YouTube channel.  Don't care.

What I do care about is good information.  Stuffing cardboard into a cheap mag holder to force it to work with mags it wasn't designed for is thrifty, but not really the sort of gear you or anyone else should be trusting your life with.  This seems like a really bad idea.

• Like 6

Look, I know you signed up on a multitude of gun forums the same day you signed up here (Google is a wonderful tool) and it really seems that your reason for doing so is to post these videos on all of them and drive traffic up on your YouTube channel.  Don't care.

What I do care about is good information.  Stuffing cardboard into a cheap mag holder to force it to work with mags it wasn't designed for is thrifty, but not really the sort of gear you or anyone else should be trusting your life with.  This seems like a really bad idea.

I prefer my Bianchi AccuMold single & double magazine pouches over plastic. I'm in the back country a lot & like having a cover over my mags to help keep them from catching on limbs, brush, etc... plus it keeps dirt & debris out of them too. One of my pouches has the snaps while the other uses Velcro. Both pouches fit all my Beretta, Ruger, SIG, & USP compact magazines perfectly & I don't even have to rig them with cardboard. :cool:

Even though I prefer flaps I own & have carried with both of these mag pouches & they both work great. (Yeah, I have a lot of mag pouches) They're both completely adjustable to fit 99% of double stack mags with the turn of a screw.

http://www.safariland.com/magazine/model-7320-double-magazine-pouch-triple-threat-ii-10731.html#start=1

http://www.safariland.com/magazine/model-75-open-top-double-magazine-pouch-11170.html#start=1

Edited by luvmyberetta

I prefer my Bianchi AccuMold single & double magazine pouches over plastic. I'm in the back country a lot & like having a cover over my mags to help keep them from catching on limbs, brush, etc... plus it keeps dirt & debris out of them too. One of my pouches has the snaps while the other uses Velcro. Both pouches fit all my Beretta, Ruger, SIG, & USP compact magazines perfectly & I don't even have to rig them with cardboard. :cool:

Even though I prefer flaps I own & have carried with both of these mag pouches & they both work great. (Yeah, I have a lot of mag pouches) They're both completely adjustable to fit 99% of double stack mags with the turn of a screw.

http://www.safariland.com/magazine/model-7320-double-magazine-pouch-triple-threat-ii-10731.html#start=1

http://www.safariland.com/magazine/model-75-open-top-double-magazine-pouch-11170.html#start=1

I also prefer a less conspicuous mag pouch like the Bianchi.  I use what's intended to be a phone pouch for one size and a generic Bass Pro pouch for the other.  I think they both were about $5.  Any sort of generic knife/tool/phone type pouch works fine.  Certainly not as fast to access as the open top kind, but I prefer better concealment. 

Look, I know you signed up on a multitude of gun forums the same day you signed up here (Google is a wonderful tool) and it really seems that your reason for doing so is to post these videos on all of them and drive traffic up on your YouTube channel. Don't care.

What I do care about is good information. Stuffing cardboard into a cheap mag holder to force it to work with mags it wasn't designed for is thrifty, but not really the sort of gear you or anyone else should be trusting your life with. This seems like a really bad idea.

Nice catch David! Where's the OP'er?

912fafb7fcfc8b440a21fd259e52632f.jpg Edited by glowdotGlock
  • Administrator

Honestly I don't mind the OP posting here and sharing good info even if it does help drive up YouTube visits.  I'm all for seeing someone contribute solid, useful information to the gun-owning community at large and will gladly support folks like that with traffic whenever I can send it their way.  But this idea of adapting a mag carrier to fit something it wasn't made for, with folded up bits of paper, really seems like stepping over a dollar to pick up a nickel.  Mag pouches just aren't that expensive, and if you can afford to feed your gun with ammo, you can afford to spend a little on good carry gear.

I've seen too many people give up carrying a firearm because they found it to be uncomfortable, or unwieldy, or inconvenient.  What's worse is that maybe 9 times out of 10, if they had just tried a good holster or a good belt or the right gun for their purposes, they'd have been successful and not ended up going unarmed.

This seems like it almost begs someone to "give up" after an what will invariably be an otherwise avoidable bad experience.

• Like 1

I also prefer a less conspicuous mag pouch like the Bianchi.  I use what's intended to be a phone pouch for one size and a generic Bass Pro pouch for the other.  I think they both were about $5.  Any sort of generic knife/tool/phone type pouch works fine.  Certainly not as fast to access as the open top kind, but I prefer better concealment. 

+1. My dad carries his single stack mags in a Gerber or Victorinox multi-tool pouch. You'd never know it was a spare mag on his hip.

Look, I know you signed up on a multitude of gun forums the same day you signed up here (Google is a wonderful tool) and it really seems that your reason for doing so is to post these videos on all of them and drive traffic up on your YouTube channel.

I found it funny that he signed up on different gun forums to post the exact same content.  I guess he feels all corners of the internet need his wisdom?

Ive heard others liking the Glock mag carriers. The biggest negative for me would be having to thread it through my belt for on-off.

I Haven't found a way to carry a spare on my hip without it printing fairly bad on me. Sure, just standing it isn't to noticeable - but one you stand bending and reaching ect, ect. - it becomes quite noticeable IMO, and it's very easy for my shirt to get caught up on or behind the mag.

I've just finally decided to use a desantis pocket holster for my spare mag. Conceals and carries with no prob, but does have the down side of not being the fastest and easiest access for mag changes.

Carry is all about compromises and trade offs though.

That's where a lot of the "I can hide it with a t shirt" guys fail to conceal is with movement. 

I've got a Comptac IWB mag holder that works best for me for concealment but usually I just use a single owb mag pouch for ease of life.

• 2 weeks later...