80% Lower Receiver with a Dremel, need a Contingency

So I finally joined the 80% Craze and ordered two of them on sale from Anderson Mfg in KY.

My only experience with aluminum is a small bit of boat welding and mutilating GMVs and Humvees with power drills to attach antennas...

Ive been milling it out SLOWLY with a dremel. Got the selector, and hammer/trigger pins holes drilled out and i started deepening the holes on the top template.

My wife was very clear on me NOT getting a drill press or milling machine, as only doing 2 lowers isnt justifiable.

My city boy self will probably end up jacking this up soon, soo...is there anyone between Clarksville or Nasvhille that has a CNC shop or a milling machine I could use in case impending doom happens?

8bd6b6148716c4c11dc2cbc52f5511ac.jpg

174d949c4b063f4d72eacd3f0258e100.jpg

Go to the craft shop on post and take the safety class, it has all kinds drill presses but not sure about mills. Its located by the post office where the theater is, while there you may ask to see if they have a problem with you working on a weapon part. You may take some literature in to show them that its perfectly legal to be doing it though since they may not be aware.

Go to the craft shop on post and take the safety class, it has all kinds drill presses but not sure about mills. Its located by the post office where the theater is, while there you may ask to see if they have a problem with you working on a weapon part. You may take some literature in to show them that its perfectly legal to be doing it though since they may not be aware.

I had a feeling there was one on post, but had no idea where. Thanks, thatll probably be a lot cheaper.

My mechanics werent about to let me use their mill press anyway.

I appreciate it, thats what I get for jumping right into 80%s

Wear safety glasses.  Isopropyl alcohol works quite well as a cutting fluid for aluminum with no oily mess to clean up afterwards.  I'd try to rig up some way to hold the dremel/drill steady... something you can hold it up against when moving back/forth.  I strongly recommend using a real end mill instead of drill bit.  They're both sharper and more rigid.  You can get one for under $20... http://www.mcmaster.com/#8918a27/=w2aik3

• Like 1

Wasn't there recently an "ATF Ruling" about using machinery you don't actually own to finish an 80%? I did a quick search on here, but didn't find the reference. Maybe it was posted on FB a while back.

That was a CADOJ ruling for guys in Cali having "lower parties".

Not sure of any ATF rulings on the issue, as far as real black and white rulings on the issue

While on this subject DOLO maybe or I know that you can probably answer this question for me. when using a hadguard with an aluminum nut would those be considered a one time use type nut and would you advise to stay away for those?

Thanks

I don't know the torque required to say if the stress would cause it to be damaged by tightening. However, Aluminum nut on aluminum threads will stick horribly and gall. Use anti-seize. Edited by peejman
  • Like 1