.38/.357

john455

I noticed something the other day at the range, I was burning threw some old federal .38 hp ammo I had leftover with my .357, and I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn, I have shot cheap .38 FMJ without a problem plenty of times, then I put .357mag ammo in it and it's dead on. Anyone else notice this with there .357? I was shooting a Rossi R462 btw.

The sights are generally regulated to the listed to the standardized norms of the listed caliber. So in your case the .38 Special will or actually should have a different point of impact. It comes down to finding the best ammunition lot numbers which produce the best results and stocking up on them. Some guns and loads are a total accuracy write off so you really do have to experiment with different loadings.

Chances are the ammo just sucks.

With my S&W there is no noticeable difference in accuracy between 38 and 357.

I'm more inclined to believe this one, unless there's some crazy twist rate on the rossi that's only good for hot stuff or a certain bullet. I know, not likely, but that's a major deal with longer range rifles, etc. I don't know to what measurable effect that could be seen with a pistol and the typically shorter distances.

The only time I've ever experienced anything weird with a pistol load is Xtreme's 158gr plated 38s. Those suckers keyholed out of two different pistols at both 38 and 357 velocities.

I still use Xtreme bullets in other calibers, but me and their .358s just aren't gunna get together any more. :-)

Chances are the ammo just sucks.

With my S&W there is no noticeable difference in accuracy between 38 and 357.

Windage should stay the same and elevation should only be a marginal change with good quality high velocity ammo. But absolutely correct crappy ammo has crappy results. Still though I've seen a lot of guns that were picky as heck about what you fed them.

i'm thinking bad ammo to, they went all over the place at 7yrds at an indoor range, if they had went consistently one way I might think it was a quirk with the gun but they went left right up and down. I've had those federal shells for over 2 years not sure if that might make a difference or not but just incase I think I will stay away from federal for the 357 anyway

Hm. Now I'm curious. Can you tell us what Federal ammo it was, exactly? I've had nothing but great results from every offering of theirs I've tried. It's probably my favorite of the big 3 ammo companies. (Win, Rem, Fed)

And as long it was stored in a stable, dry environment 2 years shouldn't even be a factor. I'd guess 75% of my factory ammo is already more than 2 years old. Some of it is older than my Dad. All goes bang and where I want it. :-) Edited by musicman

I think I will stay away from federal for the 357 anyway

Federal ammo isn’t the logical conclusion for me. What’s the barrel length of the Rossi? Define “all over the place”. How many rounds did you shoot of each to make this comparison? At 7 yards POI shouldn’t change much regardless of ammo.

If it’s not just lousy shooting on your part I would check the gun out or have someone check it out. I would be concerned about Timing, something loose, or barrel damage. If you are having issues at 7 yards you could have a problem that could get you or someone else hurt.

Federal ammo isn’t the logical conclusion for me. What’s the barrel length of the Rossi? Define “all over the place”. How many rounds did you shoot of each to make this comparison? At 7 yards POI shouldn’t change much regardless of ammo.

If it’s not just lousy shooting on your part I would check the gun out or have someone check it out. I would be concerned about Timing, something loose, or barrel damage. If you are having issues at 7 yards you could have a problem that could get you or someone else hurt.

Ordinarily I would agree, but he said he fired .357s AFTER that and it was fine. Almost has to be a bad batch of ammo.
In some 357 revolvers, the extra distance traveled by the 38 bullet in the chamber before it enters the forcing cone can introduce slight accuracy issues, particularly if one or more chambers are heavily fouled, out of spec, or the cylinder is not timed and locked up perfectly. The 357 shells have more velocity and the bullets enter the forcing cone almost immediately so there's less impact from the issues above. So before you blame the ammo, eliminate the other variables by cleaning the gun thoroughly including a deep scrub of the residue built up inside the chambers, then shoot at least 6 cylinders full of the same ammo, and mark the results from each chamber on the target to see if specific chambers are more or less accurate. Also let another shooter try the same, with both of you shooting from a seated bench with proper wrist supports, to eliminate the human variables as much as possible. Then before you switch to 357, clean the gun again and repeat.

The Rossi is just over a year old and has had around 500 rounds put thru it, I don't think it is a gun malfunction, I have shot .38 fmj without an issue these sjhp were left over from my .38 I sold a month or so ago I had never shot any thru the .357 but they did fine in the .38. I had 18 rounds left and after them I ran 50 .357 shells thru it and they were dead on accurate, that's why I posted the question I couldn't figure out why the .38s were all over the target. If it had just been one or two I could chalk it up to me having a bad day, but not 18 rounds.

It couldn't be a dirty gun issue, I am very anal about cleaning my guns if anything I over clean them, especially my revolvers.

The Rossi is just over a year old and has had around 500 rounds put thru it, I don't think it is a gun malfunction, I have shot .38 fmj without an issue these sjhp were left over from my .38 I sold a month or so ago I had never shot any thru the .357 but they did fine in the .38. I had 18 rounds left and after them I ran 50 .357 shells thru it and they were dead on accurate, that's why I posted the question I couldn't figure out why the .38s were all over the target. If it had just been one or two I could chalk it up to me having a bad day, but not 18 rounds.
It couldn't be a dirty gun issue, I am very anal about cleaning my guns if anything I over clean them, especially my revolvers.

I don't think you can fairly judge ammo or a gun to be faulty after only 18 rounds, and certainly not with them being fired consecutively all by the same shooter. What was the average group size or deviation from point of aim? I can't imagine many scenarios where it would have been more than an inch or so off the mark at 7 yards, assuming the gun was not defective/dirty and the shooter did everything perfectly.

As a firearms instructor that has taught hundreds of students over 30 years, the only time I see rounds "going all over the place" is when the shooter is doing something wrong or inconsistent. Sometimes it's not immediately obvious to anyone, like they had both eyes opened and their brain temporarily locked onto the image from the eye opposite their firing hand, or some other subtle cause like grip or position changes.

If your gun was indeed shooting groups with large variance (>3") from point of aim at 7 yards, and the shooter was doing everything as perfect as a ransom rest, then I'd not shoot it again until checked by a gunsmith. Hope you figure it out. Edited by wileecoyote

Is it possible you were anticipating the blast and recoil from the .357 and got into the rhythm for the final 50 shots?

Might have, but I think I will have it looked at by my trusted gunsmith just to be on the safe side. I don't really think there is going to be a problem with the gun but better to be safe than sorry, if it turns out the gun is fine I guess I will just write it off as a something weird on my end. I shoot this gun a lot and have never had a problem with it, just the expected little variance between .38 and .357.(a little low on target with the .38 ammo). These were high low left and right I am hoping it was just me at this point because I love my Rossi but if it is the gun after just 5/600 rounds I am going to be very disappointed in the Rossi brand.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got my rossi back this morning and all is well with it so it was either the ammo or me lol I'm going to run some more .38 threw it today and see how it does, I am glad it isn't a problem with the pistol.

Eh ran 100 .38 rounds threw it, and it did fine 50 were even federal, don't know if it was a screwy box of ammo or if I just had to much coffee that morning I guess it's like the tootsie roll pop thing "THE WORLD MAY NEVER KNOW"