Which 380?

jphillips63

I'm considering buying a small 380 to keep tucked away. The two I'm considering are either the Kimber micro carry or a sig 238

Can I get opinions of either handgun and or maybe a better choice if there is one. The one thing I don't want is something cheap and cheap feeling. I also don't want some so tiny that it don't fit or feel right in my hand. I prefer to have all fingers on a grip but I know this won't happen since these will be small carry pistols.

James Edited by jphillips63
My wife has a bodyguard .380 with the laser she loves it yeah I've heard all about the trashing everybody does over the long trigger but I replaced hers with the Hodgman kit and solved the problem she loves it and honestly even with the Bearpaw hands I've got I find it comfortable to shoot but another option is the Taurus tcp a buddy of mine carries one and it's a nice little gun to shoot I've shot the glock some wasn't overly impressed but it handled well personally however I prefer the little bodyguard .380 the wife has over all the one's I've shot

-Psalm 82:4-

Have you ever checked out a Beretta Cheetah (model 84 -double stack mags or 85FS - single stack mags)? They're incredibly reliable & have great ergonomics. While you can find them in many prices ranges depending on condition, here's a model 85 on GB that appears to be in prime condition. I've seen many in this condition go for $700-$800. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=470166608

Here's a model 84 Cheetah - http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=470171378

Both my wife and I have Sig p238s.  Prolly close to 1000 rounds thru the two combined - only 1 hiccup (a failure to feed a JHP round very early in break-in).  I find it very comfortable for pocket carry in a Recluse clamshell holster.  Very solid feel, especially with the extended mag.  Eats any ball ammo its fed; run Win Ranger T-series for carry, and they flow flawless as well.  Also have tried PDX and Crit Defense w/ no probs.

• Like 1

My wife's carry and my suit-carry is a Sig P238. Very solid weapon, and quite compact. The selling point for my wife: it is a locking breach pistol, and therefore the slide does not have to be tightly sprung -- she can manage the slide easily. It is an elegant, tight and accurate weapon.

• Like 3
I had a Kahr P380. I loved that little gun. It's my opinion that it is the best pocket .380 available. It's a a long very smooth DAO trigger, very much like a nice S&W revolver in DA. Long but very smooth, feels good but deliberate enough to act as the safety. Also it has all the functions of a full sized gun. By that I mean, it has a standard push button magazine release behind the trigger guard. It locks the slide back on the last round. It has an extractor. It has usable, decent sights, with better aftermarket options available. Just a great gun that weighs very little and can be used in your weak hand. I carried it weak side front pocket so the mini 1911 style single actions with a manual safety wouldn't work for me.
  • Like 1

We have a 238...doesn't like some types of ammo.  It likes ball ammo and Corbon hollow points with Barnes copper bullets.  Small, solid, like a little 1911.  I've tried Kahrs in 9mm and found them to be outstanding guns...some have said they like their 380's and that should be a very solid recommendation too.  My wife likes the 238 because she can rack the slide...most of them she can't.  So, try several and see what fits best.  Best wishes, B

• Like 3

I'll join the Sig 238 chorus... They are a great little pistola... I've carried mine every day for the last 4 years or so in a D.M Bullard roughout pocket holster, either in my front pocket or in a coat or vest pocket... It's flat and reasonably light... It's reliable and dead accurate... Exactly what a pocket pistol should be...

Havin said all that, i would recommend handling the pistols ya think ya might like and making the choice based on handling and shooting... I  'like' the Sig 238, Sig 232, Walther PPK, Bersa Thunderer, Glock 42, Kahr 380, S & W 380... They are all great choices... The trick is to find one ya like and will carry all the time...

Dont leave home without 'em...

leroy

• Like 3

I know there are a lot of really fine little 380s out there. I recently got rid of all of my 380s and went to 9mm. There's just one 380 I could not part with. This little honey is just too sweet to part with. The slide is silky smooth, nights sights and the trigger is crisp but not too light.

sig_238-380-EQ.jpg

Edited by Will Carry
  • Like 4

I really like the sig.  I liked it so much I was one of the first in line when the 9mm came out, and that has been my carry piece since.   But no gun is for everyone, they are small.  Medium sized hands *and* the extended mags will let you get a full grip on it.  Giant hands or extra long fingers might find it awkward.   And as always the safety debate...  it has one, that is the tradeoff for an easy trigger.

• Like 4

OK I've owned the gamut of .380's...H&K 4, PPK/s, P3AT, LCP and Browning/FN 1910. Best of the bunch in handling, accuracy and ease of shooting is the 1910 but its more of an heirloom to me than a practical carry pistol. For that its the LCP because its size lends to comfortable pocket carry at all times. The P3AT works it just wasn't what I wanted. The H&K 4 I owned was pure junk and sad to say the PPK/s SS US was too. Will the SIG work for you? Probably and for the record I'd choose it over the Kimber.

• Like 1
Guest mechanically

If you're looking for something that isn't tiny, you could do a lot worse than a CZ83. 

Surplus models can be had for under 300, and there are new imports for a little more if you're wanting something pristine. 

I'd have a tough time claiming there's a 380 anywhere with a better trigger if you're a fan of DA/SA. The safety design gives you options to carry either way. 

Just thought I'd toss it into the mix...

i have had good luck with the kel tec p3at. i got one around 02 and it has never given me any problems.  it is in my back pocket daily. round count is around 800 which is not high for it age. this gun is not a range gun.  i dropped in the northwood trigger because i was one of the beta testers for northwood.  nice trigger but the p3at was ok with out it. the gun will shoot five mags as fast as i can pull the trigger and reload without any problems. so to me the gun is good to go as a carry gun.  also kel tec has a great repair and/or free parts for their guns.  the kel tec was so good ruger model their lcp 380 after it. 

My usual carry guns are a Kahr CW9 or a SIG 228. But I decided on the occasions where a 9mm might be too big (running, or somewhere where pocket carry makes more sense - like church) I needed an even smaller option. I wanted a quality pistol that I could count on, but knowing it wouldn't be used very often (except running) I didn't want to break the bank. I ended up going with the Ruger LCP with the CT laser. The ergonomics and weight are very good, no sharp corners to dig in to the carrier or snag upon drawing, and the laser is great. It turns on by gripping the pistol firmly. No little buttons to find and no need to look through extremely tiny sights in a dynamic situation. Fits my needs exactly.
  • Like 1