can somebody post a link to or walk me thru the trust process? i have looked and searched and maybe i am overlooking it but i don't see it. i want to do a trust and plan to do a SBR and can for a 300blkout. 

Answered  but have another question and don't want to clog up the board.

I am going to do a trust. What needs to be engraved on my receiver? i have read NFA 6.2.1 and all of 7.4 and i'm not a lawyer so i'm still not sure. Since i am using a CMTtac lower, it will already have a manufacture serial number. i got the posting at the bottom from a lawyer's website. i assume that "i" will be CMT's model number? "ii" will be from CMT? "iii" my trust name??? "iv" the town i live in or the town where i work, had the receiver engraved, or did my trust?

(2) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed), or placed on the frame, receiver, or barrel thereof certain additional information. This information must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered or removed. For firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of this information must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch. The additional information includes:
(i) The model, if such designation has been made;
(ii) The caliber or gauge;
(iii) Your name (or recognized abbreviation) and also, when applicable, the name of the foreign manufacturer or maker;
(iv) In the case of a domestically made firearm, the city and State (or recognized abbreviation thereof) where you as the manufacturer maintain your place of business, or where you, as the maker, made the firearm; and
(v) In the case of an imported firearm, the name of the country in which it was manufactured and the city and State (or recognized abbreviation thereof) where you as the importer maintain your place of business. For additional requirements relating to imported firearms, see Customs regulations at 19 CFR part 134.
Edited by gomer pyle

can somebody post a link to or walk me thru the trust process? i have looked and searched and maybe i am overlooking it but i don't see it. i want to do a trust and plan to do a SBR and can for a 300blkout. 

Contact a local attorney and they will help you get one set up.

After that you can eFile a Form1 for your SBR.

Make sure you pick a trust name that is reasonably short because the ENTIRE trust name must be engraved without any abbreviations.

What must be engraved is the trust name, city and state.

Example:
The Smith Trust
Knoxville, TN

Even though you did not make the title 1 firearm you ARE the manufacturer of the SBR so, as the manufacturer, your information must also be engraved on the lower.

If you want I can PM you my number and I can explain.

BTW, John Wells did my trust and from the time I paid I had the trust in hand within 30 minutes. I had it notarized the next day and filed a few days later. John Well also quickly answered about a dozen questions I had.
  • Like 2
Thanks. I meet with John Thursday but have been trying to figure out what I need to get lined out on engraving. I know the law states at least 0.03 deep but should I go a little deeper since I plan to ceracoat? Edited by gomer pyle

GP,

For reference, 3 thou (.003) is about the thickness of a sheet of notebook paper.  I usually engrave them a hundredth.  It's still super subtle.  If you know you're going to cerakote I highly recommend blasting before engraving.  cerakote if applied properly will not fill this however you can inadvertently spray it thick and it will dull it considerably. 

Regardless, I engrave until I hit the base and then go the hundredth after. Your thickness needs to be from base not from top coat as that will vary product to product.

If you need someone to engrave and/or blast I do both.  NFA engraving is $35 and blast would be $20.  I'm in Oak Ridge west side of Knoxville if you're ever up this way or of course you can ship to me and I can ship back.

Good luck

• Like 1

GP,

For reference, 3 thou (.003) is about the thickness of a sheet of notebook paper.  I usually engrave them a hundredth.  It's still super subtle.  If you know you're going to cerakote I highly recommend blasting before engraving.  cerakote if applied properly will not fill this however you can inadvertently spray it thick and it will dull it considerably. 

Regardless, I engrave until I hit the base and then go the hundredth after. Your thickness needs to be from base not from top coat as that will vary product to product.

If you need someone to engrave and/or blast I do both.  NFA engraving is $35 and blast would be $20.  I'm in Oak Ridge west side of Knoxville if you're ever up this way or of course you can ship to me and I can ship back.

Good luck

Thanks for the info. I'm still trying to decide if i'm going to cerakote or not. I keep changing my mind back and forth. I never thougth to blast before engraving.

My local engraver does a very deep engraving. He said in aluminum it runs .012" deep and in my titanium tube he said it is about .009" deep. I have no reason to doubt him because they are DEEP. His engraver uses air pressure so he can adjust the depth. I can use rattle can on my items and you can easily read the engraving.

If I were to use anything it would be Krylon chalkboard paint. It seems to hold up well to heat. It has a satin finish, rather than flat black, which I think looks better. Rustoleum brand chalkboard paint is flat black.

I have used textured paint as a base coat with regular pants on top for several guns. Some have been so hot you cannot touch them and the paint did fine.

• 8 months later...

I've had good luck with All Things Engraved out of Franklin TN: http://www.allthingsengraved.com/. Quick turn around and the results are excellent. Its nice working with an engraving shop where the owner will talk guns with you when you pick up your AR lower! I've gone to them multiple times.

Done while you waited ? Oops , missed the picked up part ...... Edited by Fourtyfive

Chip Cain is the man.  You ain't even gotta make an office visit.  He's a vendor sponsor here and worth his fee twice over.  

I just used my initials for the trust name, although if I'd had my first choice it woulda been "There'sNoOneAtTheATFYouCan"

• Like 1