556 Cans...Bang For Your Buck?

So finally got my Trust notarized and given a GO by JAG. So its suppressor time.

My first can will be for my 556 rifles, for use on my 16" ACR and (eventual) 18" SPR. I "MIGHT" put it on my 8.5" AR for Shits N Gigs, but it'll be on the longer ones mostly.

I'm looking for something that won't break the bank, and I am going to stay away from AAC...its a personal preference.

I want something sturdy, that the mount won't disintegrate if I bang it against a tree. It won't be handling a large volume of fire at all. 200 rounds a month is an overestimation.

I also want something that will not undergo crazy POI shift, especially with the SPR. Side question, do different bullet weights/twists affect the chance of a baffle strike?

I am really looking at the Specwar 556, especially since the one at TN Gun Country is as cheap as its listing on Silencer Shop.

Any other suggestions on par with the Specwar? Ive been reccomended other companies, but without any real substantial reasoning behind it other than that "It's a good company"

I apologize for the wordiness, and thanks in advance.
You can't go wrong with Silencerco. I have the sparrow, spectre 2, osprey 45, octane 9, and just got the stamp back for the saker 7.62.
They have all performed stellar and I'm very impressed with their customer service and promoting the industry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

You can't go wrong with Silencerco. I have the sparrow, spectre 2, osprey 45, octane 9, and just got the stamp back for the saker 7.62.
They have all performed stellar and I'm very impressed with their customer service and promoting the industry.

Agreed.

I'm a Saker 762 and Sparrow owner.

Go for the 30 cal suppressor......works great on smaller bullets!

Buy a SilencerCo Saker 7.62 and then buy the 5.56 end cap for it. The 7.62 Saker with the 5.56 end cap is quieter than the 5.56 Saker. That setup is actually pretty amazing. I can honestly say if I ever buy a silencer it will be this one.

Plus it can handle .308 Magnum calibers, at least up to .300RUM.

I guess this is one of the few instances where you want the least bang for your buck

Trololol...perhaps.

I was just under the impression that a .30 cal isnt as good as a dedicated 556 can, hence why I posed the question.

Either way, my budget is more around 900 including the tax stamp.

If I could find a Sake 762 for a decent price point Ill do what Dolo suggested, but if not itll be the Specwar 556, barring any random sales in the areas between Madisonville, KY and Nashville.
For what it's worth, suppressors are pretty much a lifetime purchase. I would suggest waiting a few months and getting the money to buy the best one vs. settling for a lesser model.
I plan on shooting my 7.62 on my LWRC SBR 5.56 all the time.

I have a specwar 556 and it is a great choice.  The mount is solid, suppression is one of the best in it's class, and weight is on par with other 556 cans.  All that, and for a great price.  I picked mine up for around $500 from silencershop before SilCo raised prices.  You won't be disappointed if you choose the specwar.

• Like 1

Don't you get blowback and decreased decibel reduction using a 7.62 can with 5.56?

Gas blowback, if different at all, would actually be a little less with a larger bore can.

As for dB reduction... expensive equipment might be able to tell the difference between 5.56 fired through .22 vs .30 cal cans, but I've never been able to.  And the versatility of the .30cal is awesome.... 5.56, .308, .300BLK... I love my AAC SDN-6.

The Saker 7.62 with a 5.56 end cap is the best 5.56 suppressor on the market from the numbers I have seen. Depending on the gun I have seen numbers that are in 22lr territory. Numbers in the low 120's are common and that is amazing for a 5.56 silencer. I wish my can were that quiet.

You can also use it on everything that is .308 caliber and smaller, even the magnum calibers.

Also consider this, you are more likely to sell your home than the silencer you buy so you may as well buy the best and not squabble over a small amount.
  • Like 2

The Saker 7.62 with a 5.56 end cap is the best 5.56 suppressor on the market from the numbers I have seen. Depending on the gun I have seen numbers that are in 22lr territory. Numbers in the low 120's are common and that is amazing for a 5.56 silencer. I wish my can were that quiet.

You can also use it on everything that is .308 caliber and smaller, even the magnum calibers.

Also consider this, you are more likely to sell your home than the silencer you buy so you may as well buy the best and not squabble over a small amount.

I suppose so. I was trying to find out if the SpecWar 556 was the cost effective way to go.

Now with the end cap, what is the price range I'm looking at?

Trying to pitch this to the wife on a military paycheck is going to be the hard part, she still scoffs at buying something I can't touch for a year.

I suppose so. I was trying to find out if the SpecWar 556 was the cost effective way to go.

Now with the end cap, what is the price range I'm looking at?

Trying to pitch this to the wife on a military paycheck is going to be the hard part, she still scoffs at buying something I can't touch for a year.

Saker 7.62 is $899 at silencershop.  Endcap is $78, so $977 total plus your dealer fees for transfer (unless you can find one cheaper locally.)