Remington 700 build up

Guest whiskeymaker

Guest whiskeymaker
I ran across a brand new Rem700 in 30-06.
Plain jane version. Where would you start if you where going for a tactical build up. Stock,trigger,optics,barrel etc..? Would like to know types and brands plz
Thanks

I recently went through and have made a lot of changes to my Sendero.  I went with the flat trigger Timney, and REALLY like it.  Tremendous upgrade over the X-Trigger.  I haven't shot one of the old Remmy triggers in so long, I don't know how it compares to it, but again, MUCH better than X trigger.  I bought a new one on Ebay for $125, which is a much better price than Midway or Brownells.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351146211595?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Stockystocks.com is selling Bell and Carlson Medalist stocks for around $285 shipped.  I don't know if they have anything for a sporter profile barrel, though. I am not sure what you have, but I assume it isn't a bull barrel since you didn't mention it.  Again, I don't know what stock you have on it now, but one that is stiff and can be effectively bedded would be a huge help.  

I am running a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 that I like, but there are much better options I am sure.  If the gun is already shooing lights out, then a nice scope is a good move, but if it isn't, I would just use a scope that I know will hold zero until I did a trigger/stock.  

As for barrel, I have noticed that there are usually take-off barrels on Ebay, if you wanted to upgrade to a bull barrel, or change to a different caliber.  A new Sendero 300 WM take off was sold on there last week for ~150.  If I ever come across a sporter myself, I plan to send it off to Teludyne to try the Straight Jacket treatment.  I have read a lot of good things about it.  It gives the barrel the stiffness and heat disappation of a bull barrel with a lot less weight.  They can also do a muzzle brake at the same time for about the same price.

http://www.teludynetech.com/technology/ 

Hope this helps!

Edited by atlas3025

I priced a .300WinMag 24" threaded stainless heavy barrel contour installed and back to my door from Douglas for $595. Douglas is on par with Krieger and both make competition barrels AND have military contracts for EBR and SPR weapons. Once I start that project it's going to snowball as I become obsessed with finishing it. Timney makes one of the best 700 triggers around( http://www.timneytriggers.com/shop/Calvin-Elite-Remington-Model-700-P51.aspx ). There is a plethora of stocks to choose from by McMillan, Accuracy Int'l, Bell and Carlson, Knoxx, Hogue, etc.. The one I'm interested in is one Dolomite turned me on to, they're priced right($400ish if memory serves) and they're not gaudy in the least, very minimalist which is what I really like. If he pops in here he might be able to provide a link. It accepts AR stocks and pistol grips so you can customize it to your content. Optics? Hmmm, an interesting question but my favorite for the money are the Vortex Viper PST( http://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Viper-6-24x50-Rifle-PST-624S1-M/dp/B003AQIX5A ), they're easily competition for their more expensive counterparts from Leupold. I expect I'll have somewhere in the ball park of $2800-3400 by the time I'm done with it, but I also plan to have the action Blueprinted and the weapon Cerakoted.

Guest whiskeymaker
Great thanks for the feedback. I'll check those sources out.
Th 700 I bought has a stock synthetic stock and basic barrel. I will keep it as 30-06. It came with a crappy scope that I will change.
I guess 1st on the list will be a trigger an barrel. I will look up your barrel source.
Guest whiskeymaker
Budget. Best bang for the buck?
Probably $200-300 stock , barrel?, 250-300 scope.
I'm always open for used. If anybody has anything.

There are so many options!  Honestly, I would invest in the scope first.  Spending $200 on a scope for a precision rifle wouldn't be the best choice in my opinion (which is just that).  Personally, I'd look into a Vortex Viper HST 4-16.  Its an awesome scope you can find for anywhere from $500-600 and will serve you will as your rifle progresses.  Plus, better glass will give you a better idea as to how your rifle shoots stock.  Putting a $100 scope on a 700 isn't the greatest way to test accuracy.  I owned 2 700s and this was the case for me.  On one of them, I spent much more money on glass, and it turned out to shoot better than one that sat in a McMillan stock with a bull barrel with cheaper glass.  Just some food for thought.  

I may be speaking a little out of turn here as I am certainly no Model 700 expert.  It is my understanding that there are different grades, and qualities of the 700.  If you are looking at dumping some money into one to build it up you would most likely be better off to start with one of the higher end models unless you are just wanting to go all out and replace everything anyway.   

Not sure if your talking about the MDT stocks that are made for the remington 700, they use a ar buffer tube and pistol grip and then you can use any type of ar but stock that you choose that fits your style and liking. there are 3 stocks in the MDT stock line starting around 399.00 and going up from there. I have my eye on that stock as well if that is the one that your were mentioning above, I am looking forward to replacing the 700 short action that I had to sell and will probably go with the MDT stock. goos luch with your choice. Edited by Ron Padilla

I may be speaking a little out of turn here as I am certainly no Model 700 expert.  It is my understanding that there are different grades, and qualities of the 700.  If you are looking at dumping some money into one to build it up you would most likely be better off to start with one of the higher end models unless you are just wanting to go all out and replace everything anyway.   

I agree there are better option to start with.  Remington has a 2020 system that starts with a bull barrel and state of the art optics.  The price is around $2500.00 and up.  I have a Remington 700 and 788.  Love the 700.  Good choice to start with.   

All... This may not sit too well with some of the younger folks here; but i've found it to be true... There aint no "budget' percision rifles... No matter who says so...

There are three real important parts to a precision turnbolt rifle.... The barrel, the trigger, and the sights... The 700 action is a good one, and is the basis for remington's target gun, the great 40X...

....To use a 700 action, the action needs to be trued up and the bolt face squared with the threads on the action; something a good gunsmith can do... This action will do just as good as the $1000 plus fancy actions...

....Buy the best barrel ya can afford from a custom barrel maker ya like... Pick the barrel contour and twist rate for the bullet ya intend to shoot; and have someone install and headspace it that knows what he is doin...

....Buy a good stock that ya like and bed the rifle, letting the barrel float ahead of the action...

....Buy a good trigger you like and have someone install it that knows what he is doin...

....Lastly, and most painfully; buy the best scope you can afford... Remember this, the difference between a junk scope and a real good scope is the ability to return to zero ever time ya pull the trigger; and the hard kickers will reduce 'em to junk peretty quickly...

If ya talk to any of the long range guys; they are gonna tell ya that ya need a real good scope; and that equates to dollars; probably as many dollars as the rifle build... The hard kickers (...30-06 and up to the belted magnums...) will destroy a so-so scope in due time... The internals just aint good enough to stand the recoil forces... There are lots of Leupolds out there being used that have made the trip to the custom scope mechanics to beef up the internals...

....Before i did anything, i would spend some time at a long range shoot and talk to the competitors RE; scopes...  They have changed a lot since i wuz shootin...

It's been a long time since i shot the hard kickers... We were using Redfield 3200's, fixed power Leuopolds, and Unertl outside adjustment scopes then... Then, like now, the scopes cost about as much as the rifle...

leroy

Edited by leroy

All... This may not sit too well with some of the younger folks here; but i've found it to be true... There aint no "budget' percision rifles... No matter who says so...

There are three real important parts to a precision turnbolt rifle.... The barrel, the trigger, and the sights... The 700 action is a good one, and is the basis for remington's target gun, the great 40X...

....To use a 700 action, the action needs to be trued up and the bolt face squared with the threads on the action; something a good gunsmith can do... This action will do just as good as the $1000 plus fancy actions...

....Buy the best barrel ya can afford from a custom barrel maker ya like... Pick the barrel contour and twist rate for the bullet ya intend to shoot; and have someone install and headspace it that knows what he is doin...

....Buy a good stock that ya like and bed the rifle, letting the barrel float ahead of the action...

....Buy a good trigger you like and have someone install it that knows what he is doin...

....Lastly, and most painfully; buy the best scope you can afford... Remember this, the difference between a junk scope and a real good scope is the ability to return to zero ever time ya pull the trigger; and the hard kickers will reduce 'em to junk peretty quickly...

If ya talk to any of the long range guys; they are gonna tell ya that ya need a real good scope; and that equates to dollars; probably as many dollars as the rifle build... The hard kickers (...30-06 and up to the belted magnums...) will destroy a so-so scope in due time... The internals just aint good enough to stand the recoil forces... There are lots of Leupolds out there being used that have made the trip to the custom scope mechanics to beef up the internals...

....Before i did anything, i would spend some time at a long range shoot and talk to the competitors RE; scopes...  They have changed a lot since i wuz shootin...

It's been a long time since i shot the hard kickers... We were using Redfield 3200's, fixed power Leuopolds, and Unertl outside adjustment scopes then... Then, like now, the scopes cost about as much as the rifle...

Leroy

whiskeymaker  the above statement is very true, I recently got back into the Rifle scene and I have two Rem. 700's in 308. The 1st. one is a Rem. 700 AAC-SD 20"Bbl. 1-10 Twist, McMillian A5 Stock Bedded to the action, Surgeon Detachable Bottom Metal(Takes AI Mags)   Timney 510 Trigger(2lb pull) 20Moa Steel One Piece Rail and Steel 30mm Rings, and a Lepould 3.5x10x40 ILL.Mil Dot Scope. This one is by far not even close to what it really needs to be but it's getting there. Now the 2nd. one is a RITTEN PRESCION Rem.700 308cal. Mcrees Precision Alum. Chassis Folder Stock w/ 5rnd.Detachable Mag($750) 22"Krieger Rem. Varmit Contour Bbl.1-10 Twist w/ Target Crown, Jewel Trigger(set at less than a pound) PT&G One Piece Bolt w/ M16 style Extractor and Ejector, Badger Ordnance 20moa Steel Base w/ Lepould MK4 Steel Rings and a 4.5x14x50 Lepould Mil. Dot. This Action was built , tuned and trued by Wolf Precision for a total of $2100+. Both are capable of reaching out to 600yrds.+ with Fed.175grn.Match Ammo and shoot quarter size groups all day as long as the shooter does his job(and I need to practice a lot more to do so, I'm no marksmen by far but can hold my own at time) my point is you can put $2000+ into a build and still not have a shooter, one of the best Rem.700's I bought was from Dicks at a cost of $349 after rebates, it shot dime size groups at 100yrds.w/ the cheap scope it came with. I changed the stock, trigger, and put a good scope and base w/ rings on it and could shoot 3rnds.about the size of a nickel at 250yrds.w/ match ammo(168grn.Fed) and that was with the factory Bbl. and standard action. Here's a suggestion and my opinion(and you know what they say about those) I would change out the Stock Bell & Carlson (they have a solid Alum. Bedding Block and cost about $250 and I have one that maybe I could part with) McMillian, Manners(but now your getting up there $500+ depending on options) Change the Trigger out, Timney, and Jewell are some of the best and it isn't hard to do(believe me if I can do it anyone can) get a good set of Rings and a one Piece Base with or with out Moa. built in.(just remember if you chose a steel base get steel rings and vise-versa if you chose aluminum) and as good as scope as you can afford, now ammo is a different story do some searching and see what your Stock  Bbl. likes before changing it out(you may get lucky like I did with the one I bought form Dicks, but like a dumb ass I sold it to a buddy and he shoots completion with it now and hasn't changed a thing except he handloads)  here is a good site to check out and the guy's on there are pretty knowledgeable on the Rem.700 ( www.700rifle.com ) Hope this wasn't to long winded and maybe helps you on your way to enjoying your 700.

Guest whiskeymaker
Just a little background. I ran across this 700 for cheap and it's new. One of those I couldn't pass up. I'm in it for less than $300. I guess after some thought I just want to make it better than what it is.

Just a little background. I ran across this 700 for cheap and it's new. One of those I couldn't pass up. I'm in it for less than $300. I guess after some thought I just want to make it better than what it is.

Then assuming you have a scope that will hold zero, the Timney trigger is the way to go.  It will make a huge difference for less and $150.  Keep your eyes open (ebay) for a good stock.  You may be able to salvage the one you have.  I am not sure how well they can be bedded, but you can do a skim bedding job for the cost of some JB Weld.

• Like 1