TN State Park Carry?

OS, I think, (Lord the trouble I get into for doing that) that 1313 was simply a very Ramseyesque attempt to clarify the so called guns in trunks law, and does not speak to the non permit holder at all.

I suspect it just has not caught up with 1307, but there goes that thinking thing again.

And I will have them seek that answer ^^^^ as well.

Edited by Worriedman

OS, I think, (Lord the trouble I get into for doing that) that 1313 was simply a very Ramseyesque attempt to clarify the so called guns in trunks law, and does not speak to the non permit holder at all.

I suspect it just has not caught up with 1307, but there goes that thinking thing again.

And I will have them seek that answer ^^^^ as well.

Cool, but pretty sure the AG will say it's only an exception to 1307. Because, you know,  that's what it says, only an exception to illegal possession via going armed in general. That doesn't mean that going armed on school property for example also fits into that, sans some other exception (which permit holders have within their vehicles).

Also, the other statues don't necessarily require going armed as a condition to be in violation.

Here's my constant point that nobody ever really has brought up: the parks statute only prohibits weapons mentioned in 39-17-1302. I have never seen any justification for authority to prohibit normal handguns period.

To be in violation according the statute, you would have to be in possession of:

"(1) An explosive or an explosive weapon;

(2) A device principally designed, made or adapted for delivering or shooting an explosive weapon;

(3) A machine gun;

(4) A short-barrel rifle or shotgun;

(5) A firearm silencer;

(6) Hoax device;

(7) Knuckles; or

(8) Any other implement for infliction of serious bodily injury or death that has no common lawful purpose."

Certainly normal GCA handguns have various common lawful purposes and are not even mentioned specifically in the first place.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Can we carry inside the capitol or would it just be on the grounds outside?  Will this bill now have to go back to the house floor to be voted on again?

I sure hope that amendment does not keep the bill from being voted on in the house again and that it passes again.

Edited by 300winmag

House can also vote it down and kill the bill.  Folks I talked to up there that I trust and who SHOULD really know the rules (I was up there today) say there really are only two choices parliamentary wise, vote it up or down.

They could do a conference committee and strip the amendment I think, but Yarbro may have stepped in it.  Several of the true conservatives say they have the votes to pass it in the form it comes back to them from the Senate, and the votes to override.

Edited by Worriedman

when will this take effect? July 1st like other similar bills?

That's jumping the gun. Has to pass both house and senate in an identical format. The earliest the House can take it up is Monday the 6th.

I suspect Yarbro added that amendment as a poison pill, not realizing the conservatives would say "sounds good to us!". Or he could be smarter than I give him credit. If the bill as amended gets through the House, that will make it more likely to see our RINO governor pull out his veto stamp. If he does that it goes back to the legislature to override it. Given the vote tally this time around, a veto is not really anything more than the governor expressing his displeasure. The override should be a slam dunk, but you never know with a bunch of politicians.

X-post with Worriedman

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1

Just heard it might be on calender for tomorrow.  House can vote up or down, or send to conference committee, (coming out of conference committee, NO new amendments are allowed).

If Madam Speaker picks Harrison and two more libs (remember, he killed Parks last year, NRA's new girl gave Madam Speaker this bill last day, and she assigned to Harrison, [hmmm] and made Goins drop his and sign on...) Ramsey puts Stevens (sponsor) and two of his henchmen, they completely change the bill in conference and we are done for another year.

The idea of a fiscal note is hard for me to understand. Already have metal detectors at the entrance to LP.  May want to put up gates at every park entrance and install detectors...

Edited by Worriedman
  • 6 months later...

I know carry in state parks is legal if licensed, but do TN state park offices or visitor centers have the legal authority to prohibit firearms with a gun-buster sign?

I was just wondering if there were any exceptions to carry if a building houses armed park officers.

If legal, has anyone openly carried in a state park office? I have in GA several times with no issues.