My first Mosin-Nagant Model 1944

Just won this at auction.  Can someone tell me anything about it.  I have never owned one but have always wanted one.  I understand that once you get one they just seem to appear in your gun safe... 

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.asp?ahid=4840&aid=91864&lid=23499372&rfpb=0#Top

Looks to be your basic M44 refurb.  The ad apparently doesn't show any of the barrel markings, without those it's difficult to tell much more than that.  The price is about the going rate for the most recent batch of imports, albeit most aren't coming with the accessories kits like the earlier imports did.  When you get it in, post more pics and we'll be able to tell more about it.

It was made in the Izhevsk plant (triangle with arrow) in 1946. Looks to be in pretty good shape.

The tool that looks like a mini saw/key ring is a gauge for checking the firing pin for proper positioning. there are Youtube videos on how to check that. Look for some YouTube videos for taking down the bolt. It's the same bolt as the 91/30 so a video on that one will be the same steps. Most videos of the bolt assembly will show how to check the firing pin.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1

I got one just like that from Buds in Sevierville a few months back. It was in great shape and super clean - did not have all the cosmoline all over it that you hear stories about. I did take it down to refinish the wood. While I had it all apart, just for the sake of doing it, I disassembled the bolt, and found a hidden cache of cosmoline. The importer did a good job of cleaning the exterior, but overlooked the details. I'd recommend doing the same with yours. Plus, you'll learn more about how your rifle works.

Thanks for the replies.  I am looking forward to shooting it and finding out just how much kick there is.  Now I need to add another ammo size to my armory. 

I don't think there's that much more recoil than a 30-06 if any, it's just the metal butt platt on them that doesn't make it any better. My nefew is a collector of Mosins and we have shot 100's of rounds through his models and my M44 and 91/30. I made this stupid looking slip on pad for mine and one for him for when we shoot alot. The padding is cut plumbing pipe foam insulation wrapped in thin leather sewn onto thick leather. Looks stupid but works well, makes shooting 100+ rounds more pleasant and doesn't permantly alter the gun.

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/JMH42/media/Firstpad.jpg.html]Firstpad.jpg[/URL]

Edited by K191145
  • Like 1

I'm not ashamed to say I have a rubber slip-on nancy pad on my 91/30. It's a cheap-o Winchester one from Wal-Mart. Size small fits the Mosin stocks. I don't have one on my M44. If I were shooting it a lot (more than say 20 rounds at a time) in the summer, I'd wuss out and put one on it too. It does tame the impact into the shoulder well. Winter's no big deal with heavier jackets to take some of the punch, but that bare metal butt plate isolated from my skin by a mere T-shirt can wear me out quick.

• Like 1

It was made in the Izhevsk plant (triangle with arrow) in 1946. Looks to be in pretty good shape.

How do you know it was made in '46?  I didn't see one pic of the barrel shank which is the only place a date is stamped.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies.  I am looking forward to shooting it and finding out just how much kick there is.  Now I need to add another ammo size to my armory. 

I too would equate the recoil to a lightweight 30-06 with a steel butt plate. Not unbearable by any stretch, but not a rifle you'd want to fire a case of ammo through on a Sunday afternoon either.

I too would equate the recoil to a lightweight 30-06 with a steel butt plate. Not unbearable by any stretch, but not a rifle you'd want to fire a case of ammo through on a Sunday afternoon either.

Yup... whenever I take one of my Mosins to the range, I can manage 20-30 rounds tops before my shoulder tells me that it's not fun anymore. :stare:

Edited by tartanphantom
I have never shot mine until it hurts and kept up with the round counts. I may do that this w/e if the weather stays nice. I was actually gonna comment about what a bunch of wussies we were but someone beat me too it.

JTM
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never shot mine until it hurts and kept up with the round counts. I may do that this w/e if the weather stays nice. I was actually gonna comment about what a bunch of wussies we were but someone beat me too it.

JTM
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't necessarily count rounds, but I do load with Mosin stripper clips for range visits.... When my shoulder gets sore, inevitably there are 5-6 empty strippers lying on the shooting bench-- it's all deductive math from there on.

Edited by tartanphantom