Haslam Opposes 11 Gun Bills

Even if there were recalls in TN, I don't think you would be able to have enough votes to recall Haslam.  He is highly popular just like Bredesen was.  I think his approval rating is over 70%. 

And he's a shoo-in for Lamar's seat in '18.

- OS

Where was the NRA lobbyist yesterday during the Senate committee meeting?  It seemed like there were a couple of governor's staff directors yesterday speaking against bills but no NRA lobbyist who could give well spoken explanations for the bills.

NRA should have never scheduled the convention in Nashville if the politicians wouldn't fix some of the carry problems.  NRA is spending a lot of money on facilities and has known for several years that we have had these carry problems.

I'd be willing to bet if you put the potential for not having the convention in Nashville and the NRA spending the money elsewhere, the politicians would have fixed those problems because that is big money that Nashville and the state could have lost out on if the NRA went to say Dallas.

Edited by 300winmag

Well if any good bills pass, I hope he will do the cowardly thing like Bredesen often did and just not sign it instead of a veto, at least it will go into law automatically I believe in ten days after, if I remember right. If he veto's them I wonder if the state legislature would have the guts to over ride him. Hmmmmm? I doubt it.

Well if any good bills pass, I hope he will do the cowardly thing like Bredesen often did and just not sign it instead of a veto, at least it will go into law automatically I believe in ten days after, if I remember right. If he veto's them I wonder if the state legislature would have the guts to over ride him. Hmmmmm? I doubt it.

Well if he vetoes we could always start a "send a cow pattie to that guvnah" campaign.

Haslam can and will do whatever he wants.

1)  He's on his second term.

2)  He really doesn't have to answer to the voters, just like the rest of them.  Even those up for reelection know there's slim chance the average voter will remember or even care about what happen a month, year or several years before the next election.

• Like 2

And he's a shoo-in for Lamar's seat in '18.

- OS

Lamar just got re-elected, so his term runs until 2020.  It's Corker who's seat will be up in the 2018 election. 

Unless a Republican wins in 2016 and gives Corker a cabinet appointment (SecState seems most appropriate with his chairing the Foreign Relations committee) he will probably run again.

• Like 1

Lamar just got re-elected, so his term runs until 2020.  It's Corker who's seat will be up in the 2018 election. 

Yeah, oops, I mean '20. We can assume Bob will run again and Bill wouldn't challenge that,  but Lamar will almost certainly retire. Gives Bill a year or so to gear up after leaving office before announcing, plus Lamar will endorse him unless some kind of falling out occurs in the interim. I'd wager that fix is already in.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

Yeah, oops, I mean '20. We can assume Bob will run again and Bill wouldn't challenge that,  but Lamar will almost certainly retire. Gives Bill a year or so to gear up after leaving office before announcing, plus Lamar will endorse him unless some kind of falling out occurs in the interim. I'd wager that fix is already in.

- OS

I dunno.  I get the feeling that Gov. Haslam is ready to go back to the private sector after his 2nd term.  His actions on the Medicare expansion, and his recent open opposition to gun bills are leading me to that conclusion. 

Check out the chutzpa he's showing in this story.  Nobody Republican who has a Senate run in mind would stick himself out like that.

I dunno.  I get the feeling that Gov. Haslam is ready to go back to the private sector after his 2nd term.  His actions on the Medicare expansion, and his recent open opposition to gun bills are leading me to that conclusion. 

Check out the chutzpa he's showing in this story.  Nobody Republican who has a Senate run in mind would stick himself out like that.

You don't have to be gung ho pro gun in to be elected Mayor, Governor, or Senator in this state. Or President of the US. Plus maybe on the health thing he's thinking that's a fine platform for his future too -- the man with vision who saves health care.

The cat doesn't even take his salary. What allure could attracting more money be, if not to foment power for office?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

You don't have to be gung ho pro gun in to be elected Mayor, Governor, or Senator in this state. Or President of the US. Plus maybe on the health thing he's thinking that's a fine platform for his future too -- the man with vision who saves health care.

The cat doesn't even take his salary. What allure could attracting more money be, if not to foment power for office?

- OS

With the way gun rights are on the up in the last few years, and still rising in nationwide sentiment, I would think someone who runs as a Republican would want to be on the winning side.  I'm sure he noticed how enthused a primary challenge Lamar got from Joe Carr. Covering the right flank is required for Tennessee Republicans now.

With the healthcare thing, he wanted federal money infused into the state.  But politicians don't run on failures, so unless he can swing it his way, he'll ignore that loss on his record.

As for his not taking a salary, like John F. Kennedy, I think it was meant to preempt any talk about how rich he is by avoiding money talk altogether. 

Nothing in Haslam's actions as governor make me think he is running for a federal office.

With the way gun rights are on the up in the last few years, and still rising in nationwide sentiment, I would think someone who runs as a Republican would want to be on the winning side.  I'm sure he noticed how enthused a primary challenge Lamar got from Joe Carr. Covering the right flank is required for Tennessee Republicans now.

With the healthcare thing, he wanted federal money infused into the state.  But politicians don't run on failures, so unless he can swing it his way, he'll ignore that loss on his record.

As for his not taking a salary, like John F. Kennedy, I think it was meant to preempt any talk about how rich he is by avoiding money talk altogether. 

Nothing in Haslam's actions as governor make me think he is running for a federal office.

All that said, betcha a quarter he runs for Senate. Unless the right magic happened and he gets a chance for the presidency. You gotta know the latter is Big Jim's Big Dream for him and gawd knows how many bucks he's spent in one way or another just to help get him to where he is now.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 3

All that said, betcha a quarter he runs for Senate. Unless the right magic happened and he gets a chance for the presidency. You gotta know the latter is Big Jim's Big Dream for him and gawd knows how many bucks he's spent in one way or another just to help get him to where he is now.

- OS

God save the Republic.

Every breath he has taken since he ran for Mayor in Knoxville has been focused on the White House.

Mayor-Governor-Senator, all the right steps in all the right places, and with a personal $2 Billion and having his lips firmly ensconced on the rump of the Chamber, he is climbing the ladder to sucksess!

Edited by Worriedman
  • Like 3

- OS

Could it be that Lamar gets a bone in his leg, and billy appoints himself, then he can save a ton on the first run, plus it is a gimmy and he need the spot on his resume for that jump to Prez...

Every breath he has taken since he ran for Mayor in Knoxville has been focused on the White House.

Mayor-Governor-Senator, all the right steps in all the right places, and with a personal $2 Billion and having his lips firmly ensconced on the rump of the Chamber, he is climbing the ladder to sucksess!

Sequential jobs alone aren't steps for higher office.  National candidates need a national profile and Haslam isn't even a blip on anybody's radar outside of Tennessee.  If he was thinking White House, he would be parlaying the success of Tennessee to his benefit, using his spot as Chairman of the Republican Governors Association to get himself on the usual TV shows, giving speeches at think tanks, writing a book, ect....

Is it possible he runs for President in 2020 or after that...sure.  But nothing I see from him on the national level speaks to that.  Short of being put onto the Republican ticket as VP candidate, I don't see him in a national election.

Sequential jobs alone aren't steps for higher office.  National candidates need a national profile and Haslam isn't even a blip on anybody's radar outside of Tennessee.  If he was thinking White House, he would be parlaying the success of Tennessee to his benefit, using his spot as Chairman of the Republican Governors Association to get himself on the usual TV shows, giving speeches at think tanks, writing a book, ect....

Is it possible he runs for President in 2020 or after that...sure.  But nothing I see from him on the national level speaks to that.  Short of being put onto the Republican ticket as VP candidate, I don't see him in a national election.

That's why he will be running for Senate after the Governor gig is up.  Lamar is due to retire soon.

Haslam was grasping at the chance to gain National attention by forcing Medicaid Expansion in a Southern Conservative State.  He purchased the seat at the head of the Republican Governors Assn. and has achieved Obama's Most Favored Republican Governor Status.

Haslam has the centrist bona fides he and the milquetoast squishy Moderate Republicans think necessary to win, if they can just import enough entitlement seeking newbies to gain power, whilst holding on to the Conservatives.  They know it is time to change ends of the court.

He is headed to the Senate, having time there gives him international experience if he kisses enough rump to get the correct committee assignments, (and he will) he already has time in the saddle as an administrator of a State, (a large bureaucracy).  He will have enough money to run, and has ties to the chamber as their boy to garner their help.  He has the chips from running a huge company, so the business folks will fawn.

Anybody that does not see the steps being taken does not want to.

• Like 5

Gee guys you have to have this all wrong. Haslam is a Republican. I have been told for the last 12 years that I can guarantee my right to keep my guns by voting for all Republicans. Don't check up on them, just follow the party line and vote for all Republicans and the problem is solved. Knowing that this is the word of the almighty (my preacher told me the same thing!) you must have it all wrong.

WAKE UP! The battle for our guns is to check out every candidate and to keep the thumb on them while in office. Both parties will hurt us in a heartbeat, as soon as they can get more power by taking our guns!

• Like 2