Secret meetings may be cause of gun bill failures

From the article:

"In a major departure from past practice, many Tennessee House committees these days routinely go first behind closed doors for unannounced "pre-meetings" where they discuss pending bills before they come up for public consideration in committees and subcommittees."

And:

"But some lawmakers, staffers and lobbyists complain such meetings have become standard practice in the House after Republicans won firm control of the chamber in 2010."

We got far more done with a divided House and Ken Williams as Speaker...

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/politics/state/story/2015/mar/17/closed-meetings-tn-capitol-called-complete-betrayal-open-government/293765/

ya just gotta love that republican establishment.

I can't think of anything worse than the bunch of republicans we now have in office. Oh wait a minute. Yes I can. The bunch of democrats we had in office before them.

• Like 7

At this point, I am shocked that the "guns in cars" legislation passed last year or the knife rights legislation.  It is sad I have to go back to the days of Jimmy Naifeh to remind myself that it could be worse in our legislature. 

• Like 2

Yet, I've had several legislators tell me with a straight face that no substantive discussions occur outside of the public view (ie, committed meetings or floor sessions)...most recently, Jeremy Faison (last year). Even Stevie Wonder could see through that Kabuki Theater...

• Like 3

At this point, I am shocked that the "guns in cars" legislation passed last year or the knife rights legislation.  It is sad I have to go back to the days of Jimmy Naifeh to remind myself that it could be worse in our legislature. 

The "car carry" bill was passed without talking to anybody, that a 14 year old can carry a loaded AK 47 in their vehicle as a result shows how much the GA understands...talk about your not having any training...and knives are not guns, so in their (GA) mind it is not a big deal.

Why next thing you know, they will legalize sticks in TN again...

Well, we were able to get "Restaurant Carry" Passed two times in two years with Kent Williams as Speaker, back with a pretty much even-up House.

Tell me that "Guns in Bars" would pass today?

I don't know that " Guns In Bars " would pass today but " Guns In Cars " passed. That is much more important to me.

• Like 2

300, it is a step forward, it does not let you carry on your person, and it lets some who probably do not need to have a firearm in their vehicle have one.

Had they spoken with someone with at least half sense I think that could have been adjusted to a better result.

I don't know that " Guns In Bars " would pass today but " Guns In Cars " passed. That is much more important to me.

And if you have to get out of your vehicle, sans permit you have to leave it there, unless you are under attack, and THEN you can possess it outside the vehicle, but you had best be able to prove that you were in a life or death situation.

In addition, you can still be fired for having it in your vehicle, regardless of the "Guns in Cars" bill passed last year.

Edited by Worriedman

In addition, you can still be fired for having it in your vehicle, regardless of the "Guns in Cars" bill passed last year.

I just got an email from the NRA. A bill allowing you to seek damages if fired for having a gun in your car, has cleared commities in both houses and is heading for a full vote. Sounds like they may be working on solving your problem..

I just got an email from the NRA. A bill allowing you to seek damages if fired for having a gun in your car, has cleared commities in both houses and is heading for a full vote. Sounds like they may be working on solving your problem..

What a fine example of the twisted mess these politicians have made of carrying a handgun. 

• Like 3

What prevents you from seeking damages for that now? And what would that bill change?

- OS

What prevents you from seeking damages for that now? And what would that bill change?

- OS

As near as I can tell from the NRA email, This bill creates a " Cause of Action Against Your Employer " which is not currently established. It would make it easier to convince a jury that you had a legal right to compensation for the unfair termination. . Of course the employer is going to say you were terminated for some other reason, but lets face it, Government can not solve all our problems.

Way off the OP, but following the progression of the thread: the elephant in the room sits in the Gov's office.  Assuming that the parks bill and the Cause of Action bill do make it to the floor of each chamber - when do you think that will happen?  Betcha dollars to donuts not till mid-April or so, as Calendar committee will have total control over the timing.  That makes them easy pickins for the veto pen - and if timed correctly, would then require both chambers to be called back for an override vote.  And given the big noise already being made by Ramsey and Harwell about concluding business in mid-April, its a good bet that the State Guard couldn't drag enough of them back for that.  Haslam has already made it perfectly clear that he opposes both bills (hell, every 2A bill this year) - as a lame duck who already has a bone to pick with the GA, you really think he would miss a chance to stick a veto as far up the GAs collective a$$ as he could?

• Like 1

..... Of course the employer is going to say you were terminated for some other reason, but lets face it, Government can not solve all our problems.

Yep. Hard enough to prove one was terminated for discrimination among the various protected classes, likely even harder to prove this one I'd think. Also wonder if it would be in conflict with whatever statutes determine TN's at-will-employment stance?

- OS

Take a close read of the Cause of Action bill as written.  According to testimony by the sponsor in last weeks committee meeting, it moves virtually the entire burden of proof onto the employee - it is only after the employee has met that high bar that the employer would then incur a burden of proof.  NRA kinda left out that detail, it seems.....

• Like 1

The Employee Safe Commute Bill in 2012 had a much better way of determining this, simple prevailing party wins legal fees from the other.  It was worked into the language and passed the committees to be killed by Leadership in a closed door caucus meeting where supposedly a vote was taken.  They then stepped out and killed it in Calender and Rules.

Y'all keep on loving your Republican Supermajority.