Lifetime Permits?

• Admin Team

So, WPLN is reporting this morning that a "lifetime permit" bill was one of the few that passed out of committee yesterday.

Pay $750 and you don't have to go down to the DMV, wait and pay $50 every 5 years.

It's kind of humorous that the one they allow through is the one that makes them some money right now...

http://nashvillepublicradio.org/post/handgun-carriers-tennessee-could-get-lifetime-permits

I don't like shaking people down for more money to practice their Constitutional rights in principle, but I can see the dollar signs in the legislature's eyes.

• Like 1

Since the initial fee is $115 and renewals are only $50 every 5 years, that would be a sweet deal if you got your permit at 21 and lived until you were at least 89.5...then you'd break even.

Edit:  89.5 years old to break even.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 3
  • Admin Team

Since the initial fee is $115 and renewals are only $50 every 5 years, that would be a sweet deal if you got your permit at 21 and lived until you were at least 85...then you'd break even.

Agreed.  This isn't going to do much for you and me - or any of us for that matter.

And what kid who's just getting their permit has either the foresight or the $750 to take advantage of this?

• Like 3

I don't see this is a big win.  The potential savings are nominal at best.  I guess that you would be paying for the convenience of not having to renew.  Not my cup of tea, I'd rather buy more guns.  Although it is my belief that I shouldn't have to pay for a carry permit it is what it is and $10 a year after the initial $115 just isn't worth arguing over, spend that energy trying to change issues that really matter.  

• Like 1

I wonder if someone thinks that some type of constitutional carry may come at some point or at least no cost/tax for the permit and they are trying to get all the money they can now.

Not the outfit that is running this banana boat, they can't see giving up the reigns of control, and if they stay in power, Constitutional and Carry are two words they do not intend to have spoken/written in the same paragraph,  much less sentence...

Edited by Worriedman

Since the initial fee is $115 and renewals are only $50 every 5 years, that would be a sweet deal if you got your permit at 21 and lived until you were at least 89.5...then you'd break even.

Edit:  89.5 years old to break even.

Note that the 5 year birthday cycle thing means that renewals will settle in at 62.50, so break even point for that 21 year old is exactly, um....well, a bit younger. ;)

- Oh "math challenged" Shoot

Edited by Oh Shoot

If it was about convenience, they would simply allow HCP renewals to be conducted online like they do with drivers licenses.  This is all so they can say Tennessee has a "lifetime permit system in place."  It's a rip off from a money standpoint, and it's an insult from a handgun owners standpoint. 

• Like 2

Let's just hope they DON'T move to that INSTEAD of the 5 year $50 permit because of the money windfall it would bring. Wouldn't that suck!!! 

Again, the five year renewal is 62.50. Price stays same, just a longer period.

Some will pay more or less than the 115.00 on original permit also.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Moderators

If it was about convenience, they would simply allow HCP renewals to be conducted online like they do with drivers licenses. This is all so they can say Tennessee has a "lifetime permit system in place." It's a rip off from a money standpoint, and it's an insult from a handgun owners standpoint.

I have not renewed mine because it isn't time to yet but I think you can renew online...

Look at the back of your permit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Note that the 5 year birthday cycle thing means that renewals will settle in at 62.50, so break even point for that 21 year old is exactly, um....well, a bit younger. ;)

- Oh "math challenged" Shoot

I reckon I did cipher that wrong.  Had 5 year for renewal in my head.

$115 at age 21.

$50 renewal every 4 years.

At age 71.8 one would break even. 

Don't want to hear about any new-fangled staggering of rates either. ;)

I have not renewed mine because it isn't time to yet but I think you can renew online...

Look at the back of your permit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't see anything about online renewal in the instructions, or in the links on the side.  The only website on my permit is tn.gov.  Unless they set up online renewals with this change to a 5-year length of permit, you should still have to go to the drivers center to renew.

http://www.tn.gov/safety/handgun/renewals.shtml

Don't see anything about online renewal in the instructions, or in the links on the side.  The only website on my permit is tn.gov.  Unless they set up online renewals with this change to a 5-year length of permit, you should still have to go to the drivers center to renew.

http://www.tn.gov/safety/handgun/renewals.shtml

Most do it by mail. They auto send you the form maybe 90 days or more before expiration, if you want to do it earlier you can call and they'll send you one sooner.

- OS

• Like 1

Most do it by mail. They auto send you the form maybe 90 days or more before expiration, if you want to do it earlier you can call and they'll send you one sooner.

- OS

It's 2015.  I find it inexcusable that a simple renewal process such as a HCP renewal isn't available online. 

It's 2015.  I find it inexcusable that a simple renewal process such as a HCP renewal isn't available online. 

This is TNDOS red headed stepchild division,  man. They just replaced their abaci a few years ago.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 3