A Little Lever Love

dats82

I have been eyeing the Henry lever guns for some time now.  I have a Marlin 336 30-30 and have had a 39a.  I did not really like the 39a, so I sold it.  Since then, I have been wanting a Henry.  I pulled to trigger and bought a Henry Frontier model from Bud's over a month ago, but because of the winter storm and my work schedule, I was not able to take delivery until today.   This particular offering is the blued 20" octagon barrel, painted receiver, and gold inlay branding.

I am very happy with this rifle. For the price of these rifles, the fit and finish is amazing.  The stocks are beautiful pieces of walnut.  These rifles are made in America.  There are no warning billboards on it, and there is no safety, as a lever gun should be.  The action is smooth and was completely reliable during my short range session this morning.  It shot about 200 LR and about 50 shorts with no malfunctions what so ever.  I did not really check the rifle for accuracy, but I was able to ring a 14 inch plate at 100 yrds consistently and without difficulty.  To this point, I can say this rifle is as advertised and is deserving of the plethora of the raving reviews that are found about these guns.  It will not be my last Henry lever gun.

Sorry for the grainy cell phone pics...

image3_zps8mqdviz8.jpeg

image2_zpsifw3lwvb.jpeg

image4%202_zpsjaf7plbl.jpeg

• Like 3

Oh I want one.

Yeah, you should get one.  My friend went with me, and he is sold on them now as well.  Shooting the shorts out of them is just too much fun.  The cycle great, and it feels like you're shooting a suppressor. 

For the price of these guns, I can't believe I have not bought one before now.  I still love my 10/22's, but this thing, especially with the shorts, is just pure joy.

I'm a lever fan to. My Marlin 39a 1966 vintage with vintage scope is my favorite .22. I also have a .410 Marlin lever from around 1929, got it when I was around 12 to hunt with.  It got away from me for many years but with some help of a friend of my Dad's we tracked it down and I got it back a couple of years ago. Keep looking for my next lever.  Friend is into Henry and they do shoot nice.

I have been eyeing the Henry lever guns for some time now.  I have a Marlin 336 30-30 and have had a 39a.  I did not really like the 39a, so I sold it.  Since then, I have been wanting a Henry.  I pulled to trigger and bought a Henry Frontier model from Bud's over a month ago, but because of the winter storm and my work schedule, I was not able to take delivery until today.   This particular offering is the blued 20" octagon barrel, painted receiver, and gold inlay branding.

I am very happy with this rifle. For the price of these rifles, the fit and finish is amazing.  The stocks are beautiful pieces of walnut.  These rifles are made in America.  There are no warning billboards on it, and there is no safety, as a lever gun should be.  The action is smooth and was completely reliable during my short range session this morning.  It shot about 200 LR and about 50 shorts with no malfunctions what so ever.  I did not really check the rifle for accuracy, but I was able to ring a 14 inch plate at 100 yrds consistently and without difficulty.  To this point, I can say this rifle is as advertised and is deserving of the plethora of the raving reviews that are found about these guns.  It will not be my last Henry lever gun.

Sorry for the grainy cell phone pics...

image3_zps8mqdviz8.jpeg

image2_zpsifw3lwvb.jpeg

image4%202_zpsjaf7plbl.jpeg

Love mine if your interested Midway has a nice Bullseye rear sight makes a nice addition. For the price they are amazingly accurate.

Nice rifle dats. Congrats.
I've had a H001 for a long time.
Great little rifle.
I just picked up a used 44 mag. Big Boy
a couple days ago, gonna take it out later
and see how she runs.

Enjoy your new Henry.

My first lever rifle was a Henry .22. A few months later I got a .44 mag. These rifles are fun to shoot.
  • Like 1
I am the custodian of a Henry just like that. It's my mother in law's. She doesn't want it anymore but does not want it sold.

It is a tack driver and considering what it cost new, it extremely wel fitted and finished. I've seen guns costing over twice as much that were not as well fitted, both mechanical and wood to metal.

My first lever rifle was a Henry .22. A few months later I got a .44 mag. These rifles are fun to shoot.

I'm jonesing for one of their offerings in a centerfire. Don't know which caliber I would prefer; leaning toward a 44 right now. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have a lever action, single shot, 410 shotgun. Say that three times fast. I think it is neat but pretty useless to me.

OK...Just pretend it's a 45/70 Gov't that shoots buckshot and slugs then...Its all about finding the positive.

I'm looking forward to the day I can take my grandson to the range and teach him to shoot.  I hope he will learn to appreciate and enjoy the Henry 22 as much as I have.

i'm sure it will happen before you know it and when it does...cherish the moment. A few years before my dad passed on, he told me that one of his fondest memories was when my kids were little, I took my son and daughter to visit and we all went to the range to kill some paper. We had a lot of fun that day and after twenty years, my son calls that moment one of his fondest too.