Caliber Consolidation?

I'm debating moving to only .22LR, 9mm, & 5.56mm/.223 to aid bulk purchases.  If I do this, I might not necessarily get rid of any firearms that don't fit into that category, but my future gun buys (barring an unexpected windfall) and major ammo purchases would be in the aforementioned calibers.

Anybody consolidate their firearms by caliber like this?  The reason I have in mind is to save on bulk ammo costs, but if there are other benefits, or people don't think it will be worth it, I'd love to have the conversation. 

I think that having multiple calibers to shoot at the range is half the fun. I really enjoy shooting less popular calibers and older firearms. I could see a benefit to keeping your personal defense weapons that you are going to practice frequently down to one caliber, but I don't think that I could consolidate my whole collection. Variety is the spice of life!
  • Like 3

Normally I only keep .45 or larger in the safe. I do have a 9mm Hi Power from '76 so I keep around 500 reloads on hand for it. 

My hi-po stuff is old military from .30 carbine up to .30-06. I'm not much in the way of foreign stuff. 

I reload everything myself so I don't hoard or buy huge bulk shipments. 

I think that having multiple calibers to shoot at the range is half the fun.

So do I.  Hell, I took my GSG-522 to the range today just to have some fun in between serious pistol shooting.  But while multiple calibers is half the fun, I'd like it to not be half my wallet.

The only pistol calibers I own now are 9mm. I used to be one of the .40 bandwagon guys but I fell off. I too am going this way to consolidate.

I'm in the same boat.  I really think I can "do more with less" if I go to 9mm.  Meaning I can get more rounds for practice, and negate the loss in size.  Plus, 9mm is a much more universal round, and has a lot more options for future purchases.

• Like 3

Well sure i did, got them down to :rofl:

22lr, 25 ACP, 38, 357, 40S&W, 44, 45Colt, 7mm, 300 BLK, 7.62x51, 308, and 12 ga.

45 caliber muzzle loaders

As I cast and reload for all of them no worries about bulk factory ammo.

Well 22lr is still factory buys, but I dont "need" to look for any soon. :cool:

Edited by RED333

I haven't felt the need to consolidate my ammunition calibers yet.  I buy the calibers of ammunition when I find good prices and use it for practice.  I haven't bought 6.8 spc or .38  in quite awhile as I don't shoot those often.  As long as I add to my inventory instead of depleating it, I'm happy.

I see no point in ammo consolidation. In fact, I see it as a disadvantage. Let's be honest, are you going to shoot any more or any less if you are just buying three calibers? I have a gun in .380, but that does not mean that I have to shoot it. I generally buy one box of .380 per year when I stumble across a deal. What if there is a real run on ammo and all that you can find is a box of .45acp, 40, or 38spl. You can break it down to reload, trade it, or just shoot the gun you have dedicated for it.
  • Like 3

I kinda have, but still need a lot of different calibers of ammo.

Semi-auto handguns (with the exception of 1911’s): 40S&W
1911’s: 45ACP
Rimfire: 22LR
Revolvers: 38/357
Rifles: mainly .308, but have .223, 30-06, 30 carbine, and 7.72X54R.

So my consolidation is 10 calibers. biggrin.gif

But .40S&W and .308 is what I look to buy in bulk.

I see real value in having at least one gun in all common calibers. For handguns that would include .357mag/.38spl, .44mag, 9mm, .40s&w, .45acp, and .380acp. .22lr for rim fire, 12ga and maybe 20ga shotguns, and for rifles probably 5.56, .308, 7.62x39, and for hunting rifles .30/30, .30-06, .243, .270.
  • Like 1
I did this about 4 years ago and have NEVER regretted it.
9mm - .223 - .308 - 12g
I can and do load for other calibers but they are a trifle and never a consideration. I don't focus on them and don't bother stocking anything relating to them.
The four listed are all I really deal with in any serious sense. Anything else I have is considered a toy/luxury.
I did a couple years ago. Just didn't have the space to store more ammo. Which is sad in its own right. I got rid of stuff like 40s&w, 6.8spc, 38special and a couple others. Just wasn't worth it. I stick to 9mm and 45 in pistols and smg's now, and 223 and 308 for rifles. I have a 300/221 Sbr AR but I've had that since.... Mid 2000 something and it's fun to shoot suppressed and makes a great house gun. So I'll probably keep that to my one "non standard" round.

It really is worth consolidating. Just makes life easier. Edited by 173rdABN
  • Like 1

I'm like 173ABN, mostly 9mm/45ACP/5.56mm/7.62mm.

However....,

During each of the recent BHO Panics I had no problems finding and buying all the .38 Super & 10mm that I wanted at pre-panic prices.

So having a couple of cult-calibers can be a good fallback during those times of politically driven social activism.

Edited by DMark
  • Like 2

No, never contemplated the idea.  In handgun I have .22lr, 9mm, .40, .44 Mag and .45; each had their place in my stable.  In rifle, I have .22lr, .270, .308, .303 brit and 30/06 and of course my 12 guage SGs Again, they all have a purpose.  Though I won't just buy a gun or rifle for its caliber, I am not a collector, I do consider that to be a factor when I see good deals.  I don't shoot all my firearms the same though, its been some time since I took my M1 Garand out for a spin.  Since I carry my .40 it gets most of the attention, but I make it a point to take the rest out regularly enough to stay proficient with that caliber and intended use. 

I see no point in ammo consolidation. In fact, I see it as a disadvantage. Let's be honest, are you going to shoot any more or any less if you are just buying three calibers? I have a gun in .380, but that does not mean that I have to shoot it. I generally buy one box of .380 per year when I stumble across a deal. What if there is a real run on ammo and all that you can find is a box of .45acp, 40, or 38spl. You can break it down to reload, trade it, or just shoot the gun you have dedicated for it.

I might not get out to the range more, but I think I would shoot more than I am now,   Also, if there is an ammo run, I slow down my consumption rate.  I had a few chuckles looking at all the "buy it now" panic sales of Green Tip, because I had about 500rds from my last purchase, and could afford to wait for the situation to sort itself out.  It's also worth noting, that even if I can only find a box of a certain type of ammo, I would still need a gun to shoot it, and going out and buying a gun to cover all the common calibers seems counterproductive.

My goal in this would be to gradually stockpile the calibers listed, waiting for a fair deal as finances allow.  As long as I don't shoot more than is coming in, it will build up in the long run.  If it helps others understand my thought process, I'm trying to think about the situation in 3-5 years, so I can be ahead of the next event that throws ammo cost and availability into chaos.

I'm debating moving to only .22LR, 9mm, & 5.56mm/.223 to aid bulk purchases.  If I do this, I might not necessarily get rid of any firearms that don't fit into that category, but my future gun buys (barring an unexpected windfall) and major ammo purchases would be in the aforementioned calibers.

Anybody consolidate their firearms by caliber like this?  The reason I have in mind is to save on bulk ammo costs, but if there are other benefits, or people don't think it will be worth it, I'd love to have the conversation. 

I don't see any shotgun rounds in the list?  No love for shotguns?  I have keep myself to .22lr, 9mm, .45, 12g, and 5.56mm/.223 myself to keep the type of ammo I need to a min not to say I do have a few odd ball sizes but if I can't fire my 30/30 because I can't find a box of the stuff oh well.  

Thanks

Robert

Edited by rmiddle

I don't see any shotgun rounds in the list?  No love for shotguns?  I have keep myself to .22lr, 9mm, .45, 12g, and 5.56mm/.223 myself to keep the type of ammo I need to a min not to say I don't have a few odd ball sizes.

Thanks

Robert

I have a 12 gauge shotgun.  I don't shoot it that often (I should shoot it more, I know), but I'm not as worried since the prices of ammo seem steady and a run on 12g shells seems very uncommon compared to the other calibers.

How does this help with bulk buying? Where do you buy bulk ammo and they ask how many differeny caliber firearms you have? This makes no sense.

I'm still adding calibers, and have dies and reloading paraphanlia for guns I don't even own yet. The more the better in my opinion.

I might not get out to the range more, but I think I would shoot more than I am now,   Also, if there is an ammo run, I slow down my consumption rate.  I had a few chuckles looking at all the "buy it now" panic sales of Green Tip, because I had about 500rds from my last purchase, and could afford to wait for the situation to sort itself out.  It's also worth noting, that even if I can only find a box of a certain type of ammo, I would still need a gun to shoot it, and going out and buying a gun to cover all the common calibers seems counterproductive.

My goal in this would be to gradually stockpile the calibers listed, waiting for a fair deal as finances allow.  As long as I don't shoot more than is coming in, it will build up in the long run.  If it helps others understand my thought process, I'm trying to think about the situation in 3-5 years, so I can be ahead of the next event that throws ammo cost and availability into chaos.

Unless you don't want the other calibers, what stops you, beside money of course, from just picking a caliber or two to stock up on ammo for.   Though I have at least 1k rounds for the ones I shoot a lot of, I feel I have plenty components to allow me to reload for some time.  I don't feel I need more than what I have at this time and feel if I ever run out I can trade some of my other calibers for what I want.

How does this help with bulk buying? Where do you buy bulk ammo and they ask how many differeny caliber firearms you have? This makes no sense.

I'm still adding calibers, and have dies and reloading paraphanlia for guns I don't even own yet. The more the better in my opinion.

Buying 1000 rounds of 3 calibers is much less then buying 1000 rounds of 10 calibers.  And buying 5000 rounds of 1 caliber is generally cheaper then buying 1000 rounds in 5 calibers.

Thanks

Robert

Edited by rmiddle

seems like something you either do entirely (sell everything else or do it from day 1 as a planned approach)  or you don't do it at all.   But I say that as a shooter ... I can't understand owning large numbers of guns you do not shoot.    I much prefer being able to make a few rounds for anything I own, and shoot anything I own when I want to...   and still being able to do a bulk purchase if I wanted to do that, etc.   Nothing wrong with shooting the cheapest to feed guns the most ...   even now the majority of my shooting is still .22 ...  but I try to exercise most of my guns at least a couple of times a year.

I'm this guy. One day, I will have a 41 Magnum!

I love having choices. This is 'Murica, dadgummit! Do I have more 9s and 40s than other handgun calibers? Yea, but I'm not ditching any of my other babies. I've got more 223 rifles than any other rifle caliber, but they won't do the job of my 270 or 308. Everybody needs a Mosin. What kind of Tennessean doesn't have a few 12g pumps and autos scattered about? (The doublegun is next!)

In general, I don't get in to hobbies to enjoy a specific, narrow portion of it. I go whole-hog. I've got Strats, Teles, Les Pauls, an SG, two Ibanez from the 70s, and a couple others in the mix.

The only things keeping me from going deeper into each hobby are time and money... and skill, if I'm painfully honest. ;-)
  • Like 2