Guns in Park Article

According to Representative Glen Casada, he predicts it will pass 60-39 and it may be on the calendar tomorrow.   I have quit trying to guess how this will play out--just trying to be patient and optimistic!!  So optimistic that I already bought a Pistowear holster for running on the greenway in the Boro!

Edited by phiferran

All I can say is that if they try to attach some fiscal deal because of that amendment, that is a lie because there is no cost with that amendment.

Would we be able to carry in the statehouse or just on the grounds outside the statehouse?  If that passes, that is good because it is legal to carry in a lot of statehouses across the country.

Edited by 300winmag

If that passes, that is good because it is legal to carry in a lot of statehouses across the country.

As well it should be.

Bless her heart, If this becomes law with the statehouse amendment intact, poor little Sherry Jones will be cowering under her desk for the rest of her term of office.

• Like 3

As well it should be.

Bless her heart, If this becomes law with the statehouse amendment intact, poor little Sherry Jones will be cowering under her desk for the rest of her term of office.

And that is the best place for her to be during any GA session...

This was out of the Knoxville newspaper today.

Harris also said that in Memphis, the city parks department also operates the Memphis Zoo, Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium and other facilities where guns are currently banned.

“Does the sponsor intend to allow guns in the Memphis Zoo, in the Children’s Museum, in the Liberty Bowl where the University of Memphis plays football, in the Brooks Museum of Art — all facilities operated by the Memphis Parks Department?” Harris asked.

Said Stevens: “These are individuals who have been vetted by the state and who statistics say do not commit crimes generally, and if they do it is in a much lower percentage than the general public. This is about the right to self-defense enshrined in the Constitution. It’s the right to protect yourself and where do you need to protect yourself? You need to protect yourself where you are. If you are in those facilities and someone who does not have a handgun-carry permit gets through those security measures, the permit holders need to be able to protect themselves wherever they are.

The state senator in the second paragraph has it figured out that people with the handgun carry permits are not the ones to worry about wherever we carry, whether that is in the capitol, a store, church, or a school.  We are the ones that paid the money and went through the process to be legal and should be trusted. 

• Like 5

All I can say is that if they try to attach some fiscal deal because of that amendment, that is a lie because there is no cost with that amendment.

Would we be able to carry in the statehouse or just on the grounds outside the statehouse?  If that passes, that is good because it is legal to carry in a lot of statehouses across the country.

I concur, the LP already has a metal detector for everyone who enters, so no cost there. Signs don't have to be changed, because non permit holders are still precluded from carrying at the Capitol, those sings stay up, just do not apply, like at State Parks.

Of course Bill Gibbons will gen sometning up...

That article regarding the schools is garbage.  So they are more worried about us than the gang member who is already carrying everywhere?  Our handgun carry permit exempts us from the federal gun free school zones if they don't already know that.

Someone needs to point that out.  Also remind them that there are already people carrying inside school buildings, both legally and illegally.  So what is the worry about the people with permits? 

"That single clause leaves Williamson County, and school systems across the state, in an immediate and severe situation. Schools that use county or city parks for practice and games would be forced to find other venues."

That is a total lie.  There is nothing that forces those school districts to stop using those facilities.  That is their choice and people should call them out on that. 

Edited by 300winmag

That's right.  If they are so worried about people with guns, then they need to cut security contracts with police departments and also armored car companies.  I'd be willing to bet some of those schools use an armored car company if they have bank deposits.  Make these bed wetters take the deposits themselves.

With friends like this: http://wate.com/2015/04/02/tenn-gop-leader-1-time-school-use-enough-to-ban-guns-in-parks/

What kind of moron is Casada? If this logic was applied then ANY place that allowed school groups to come in could post also...like state parks! I doubt even our idiot AG would agree with this thinking because it's a gross misreading of the school "use".

Edited by macville

"House leaders said they plan to reject a Senate amendment to allow guns at the Capitol complex."  From the WATE article.

That right there is proof the NRA needs to be on these guys for not supporting the 2nd amendment.  We paid for the statehouse.  Why should we not be able to carry there if on top of paying for the statehouse we paid for their permit?  This is just more of the we'll give you a permit but don't want you to carry garbage that many politicians pull.

Nashville Post Article:

Casada: Again, it’s pretty clear. Owned, operated or maintained. The feds do have 1,000 feet which would supersede our laws, so in addition to the feds you've got our Tennessee law, which is again is 37-17-1309, it’s real clear.

Reporter: But there seems to be some thought, that the 1,000 buffer wouldn’t apply to permit holders.

Casada: That is, I have heard that, and that may be true. But I can only speak intelligently, and that's questionable, on Tennessee code. And I go back to what's important to our county, which is if a park is maintained, owned or operated by a school, no permit holders can bring their guns.

More garbage that the NRA needs to fix and inform that our permit exempts us from federal gun free school zones IF TN would do the same for us.

Edited by 300winmag

If this logic was applied then ANY place that allowed school groups to come in could post also...like state parks!

If I'm not mistaken, this scenario was the subject of another bill that was defeated. So you could actually be eating in an establishment that "is not" posted, find out that there is a teachers meeting being conducted in the back room, and be violating the law, or be walking down the street (legal carry) and find yourself suddenly watching a school parade, and guess what. I've watch some live steaming of the discussions of this bill in the House and Senate. Believe me, for those of you who can remember, it's better than watching an old Abbot and Costello routine. Kinda telling my age there...

What to me is more of a worry is the statement that the House would not accept the bill with the new amendment attached. If that happens, then it goes back to the Senate to either accept the bill without the admendment, or... guess it will die for another year.

Tennessee HCP holders are 500,000 stong... I'm kinda new to this state but I intend to write to my representatives this weekend and let them know my feelings on this subject. If they disagree with my support of the 2nd Amendment, then I guess I disagree with their ability to support this countries most sacred document, and will let them know it.

Rant over....

Jim

Edited by jbrownch

Yeah the whole school property issue is why I would not open carry in this state.  Too bad the House rejected the bill that would have fixed that issue and not allowed people to be charged with a felony because they are at the same place a school group walks in on.

Do people even realize if you look at that law strictly, then people who home school and have firearms could be breaking the law?  There is no exemption in that law for people on their own property it is so poorly worded.

Edited by 300winmag

Do people even realize if you look at that law strictly, then people who home school and have firearms could be breaking the law?  There is no exemption in that law for people on their own property it is so poorly worded.

GREAT POINT 300winmag... Wonder if our legislators, think three of the key onse are named Mickey, Goofy and Daffy, ever considered that... if I was a betting man, I place my  bet on the NO option. Another good thing to write your representative about.

Edited by jbrownch

Yeah the whole school property issue is why I would not open carry in this state.  Too bad the House rejected the bill that would have fixed that issue and not allowed people to be charged with a felony because they are at the same place a school group walks in on.

This state does NOT support home schooling in any way, no help is given to home schoolers via state monies, basically they don't like it...So thats the loophole..If they gave any sort of support via funds, books, etc, then they would have a say so in it, but they don't, so legally they have no say so....And i'm glad that they don't...We home schooled our children for 18 years...We didn't want them having any foothold in how we done it...thats kinda the whole point of home schooling anyway, keeping the govt out of your business, and out of your childrens heads...Public schools are no more than liberal indoctrination centers anymore...

Edited by Someotherguy

This state does NOT support home schooling in any way, no help is given to home schoolers via state monies, basically they don't like it...So thats the loophole..If they gave any sort of support via funds, books, etc, then they would have a say so in it, but they don't, so legally they have no say so....And i'm glad that they don't...We home schooled our children for 18 years...We didn't want them having any foothold in how we done it...thats kinda the whole point of home schooling anyway, keeping the govt out of your business, and out of your childrens heads...Public schools are no more than liberal indoctrination centers anymore...

That doesn't matter. The law doesn't differentiate between public and private schools. Homeschool is considered private school in TN. A strict reading of the law would imply that we are not allowed to have weapons (not just guns) in general in our homes if you homeschool. Honestly, that may be a good starting point to sue over the school laws because that would fail the "with a view to prevent crime" test that is the only thing our constitution allows for restricting arms. The fact that they TOTALLY ignore that part of the constitution is what bothers me most. That should have been brought up by Casada in that article with the reporter interview (or by the interviewer) but it's like they don't even have a clue it says that!!!

That doesn't matter. The law doesn't differentiate between public and private schools. Homeschool is considered private school in TN. A strict reading of the law would imply that we are not allowed to have weapons (not just guns) in general in our homes if you homeschool. Honestly, that may be a good starting point to sue over the school laws because that would fail the "with a view to prevent crime" test that is the only thing our constitution allows for restricting arms. The fact that they TOTALLY ignore that part of the constitution is what bothers me most. That should have been brought up by Casada in that article with the reporter interview (or by the interviewer) but it's like they don't even have a clue it says that!!!

Good points, but here's the loophole i am referring to...

The law...

Tennessee prohibits a person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any firearm, not used solely for instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution.  See Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-17-1309(c)(1)

The highlighted section is the loophole...If i as a homeschooler, have instructional classes DAILY on firearms, how to use loaded firearms, how to store loaded firearms, how to carry loaded firearms, and have daily ceremonies with firearms, etc etc...Then is is legal to openly/conceal carry, and or have firearms in your home if you homeschool...

you do not have to prove you have the instruction, just state that you have it if asked, which your are never asked, because they are completely unconcerned with it...

Edited by Someotherguy
  • Like 1

Good points, but here's the loophole i am referring to...

The law...

Tennessee prohibits a person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any firearm, not used solely for instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution.  See Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-17-1309(c)(1)

The highlighted section is the loophole...If i as a homeschooler, have instructional classes DAILY on firearms, how to use loaded firearms, how to store loaded firearms, how to carry loaded firearms, and have daily ceremonies with firearms, etc etc...Then is is legal to openly/conceal carry, and or have firearms in your home if you homeschool...

you do not have to prove you have the instruction, just state that you have it if asked, which your are never asked, because they are completely unconcerned with it...

I doubt that would fly in a court of law if a lawyer pressed it. You would have to have proof that you offered instruction each semester via a lesson plan which was submitted to the place which you were registered at for homeschooling. While I agree with you about the letter of the law, you would need proof to get off is some jerk decides to push it. Considering how many jerks there out there these days, I really think this should be fixed. I mean, what about all the homeschoolers that don't even know that law and are currently breaking it?

BTW, I was homeschool as my dad was a public school teacher and saw how bad it already was even in the 90's.

Edited by macville

I doubt that would fly in a court of law if a lawyer pressed it. You would have to have proof that you offered instruction each semester via a lesson plan which was submitted to the place which you were registered at for homeschooling. While I agree with you about the letter of the law, you would need proof to get off is some jerk decides to push it. Considering how many jerks there out there these days, I really think this should be fixed. I mean, what about all the homeschoolers that don't even know that law and are currently breaking it?

BTW, I was homeschool as my dad was a public school teacher and saw how bad it already was even in the 90's.

It is an defense to illegal possession with intent to go armed if done in your home, and you must possess with intent to go armed to be guilty of the felony provision in 1307.

I suppose you could still be guilty of the misdemeanor part of 1307, though, so just make sure all the firearms are loaded at all times if you don't do firearm instruction. :)

But seriously, methinks this homeschooling topic area seems a bit overblown, no prosecutor is going to split a hair like this.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 2