CC at NRA show in Nashville?

Hi all.  I am new to the forum and not sure if I am posting this in the correct forum.  Just let me know if not.  I am an Illinois resident with an IL concealed carry license.  I also have a non-resident Florida CCL.  I am planning to attend the NRA show in Nashville in two weeks and wondering if it is legal to CC at the show?   Also, is it legal to cc at the Grand Ole Opry and similar places?  I have looked at some of the TN cc laws and not really sure I know where and where not it is OK to CC.  Thanks in advance for any help you may able to provide.

During the 2015 NRA Annual Meeting & Exhibits, lawfully carried firearms will be permitted in the Music City Center with the proper license in accordance with Tennessee law. Bridgestone Arena prohibits the possession of firearms. When carrying your firearm, remember to follow all federal, state and local laws.

FIREARMS

No firearms (with or without a permit) are allowed at the Grand Ole Opry. All persons, bags (including purses) and articles are subject to search.

Most of the tourist spots in Tennessee are posted. Look for the signs on the doors.

Welcome.
I moved here from Illinois and have a TN HCP. You can carry here, but of course Illinois won’t let us carry there. But hopefully that will change.

Thanks for the information Dave.  Yeah it will be nice when IL starts recognizing other states license.  Just have to get the Chicago liberal lawmakers to see the light.  Maybe some will now that we've had cc for over a year now and the streets still aren't running with blood.  I was hoping TN would be a little more loose on prohibited carry places.  Oh well, better than what we had here a year ago.

Are the all places that prohibit concealed carry in TN required to be posted?  What is the penalty for failing to comply with a posted "no carry" sign?

Yes.

Class B Misdemeanor with $500 fine only (no jail).  However, another statute says that one's TN permit will be suspended or revoked also (which wouldn't affect someone's permit from another state).

We have yet to find a case where a prosecution of this statute has gone to completion however.

- OS

Are the all places that prohibit concealed carry in TN required to be posted?  What is the penalty for failing to comply with a posted "no carry" sign?

Yes, it is required that they be posted at all entrances. It is a Class B misdemeanor punishable by fine only of$500.

It’s one of the most debated issues here, but so far no one has posted that they have been charged with it. A few have had the law called; but the cops told them to leave and if they carried there again they would be arrested for trespass. One guy said he knew a guy, but he was carrying into a county building and from the penalty it sounds like he didn’t have a HCP.

Carrying on school property is a whole different ball game; it’s a felony.

Is your vehicle a "safe haven" in TN?  In IL, with a CCL you can have a loaded handgun (out of sight) in your vehicle, even on school property.  You just can't exit the vehicle with it unless it is unloaded and you are going to store in it your trunk.  Sorry for all the elementary questions but sometimes its hard to make correct sense out some states cc laws without really studying them in detail.  Can you cc on the streets of all towns/cities in TN?  I am assuming that its only illegal to cc in posted prohibited places.  I see on the Parks forum that a lot of county and city parks are prohibited also.  Are there any places prohibited by statute that do not have to be posted?  Is there a list of these places?   Just to trying to keep myself out of trouble.  Thanks for all of your help.

Is your vehicle a "safe haven" in TN?  In IL, with a CCL you can have a loaded handgun (out of sight) in your vehicle, even on school property.  You just can't exit the vehicle with it unless it is unloaded and you are going to store in it your trunk.  Sorry for all the elementary questions but sometimes its hard to make correct sense out some states cc laws without really studying them in detail.  Can you cc on the streets of all towns/cities in TN?  I am assuming that its only illegal to cc in posted prohibited places.  I see on the Parks forum that a lot of county and city parks are prohibited also.  Are there any places prohibited by statute that do not have to be posted?  Is there a list of these places?   Just to trying to keep myself out of trouble.  Thanks for all of your help.

Unlike Illinois; Tennessee law does not deal with “concealed carry”. If you can carry; you can carry either way. You can also carry a handgun in your car in this state without a permit if you can legally own the handgun.
  • Like 1

Unlike Illinois; Tennessee law does not deal with “concealed carry”. If you can carry; you can carry either way. You can also carry a handgun in your car in this state without a permit if you can legally own the handgun.

However, just like Buff mentions for IL,  here a permit is still needed to be able to do it on school property or posted lots.

- OS

You will want to check IL law it it reads like ours  NRA in Indy it was OK for permit holders to carry in Convention Center ,but not for me because at time we could

not carry in our CC and TN law reads we must abide by our law when out of state,which means no carry in our CC then no carry in their CC another example

is TN no carry while sitting at bar drinking,but FL IA,others it OK but we have to follow TN law when out of state. Your doing good checking out laws ahead of

time to keep out of trouble. I am glad we can now carry loaded in car through IL, ISP was bad for pulling over out of staters hoping to get a chance to toss carand find a gun..

Is that positive that TN residents must obey TN CC laws when you are out of state?  When I checked with the Indiana state police (my daughters live in Indianapolis) about this very issue because I was not sure if I was suppose to follow IL law or IN law.  The IN state police responded that I must follow Indiana concealed carry laws just like I have to obey their traffic laws.  I guess the reason being is that police in one state most likely do know the laws of other states, and besides that, they cannot enforces other states laws.  Just my uneducated opinion on TN CC laws but I am guessing that a TN resident will be required to  comply with the laws of whatever state they happen to be in.  Please correct me if I am wrong as I really need to know.   Thanks to all of your input.

Is that positive that TN residents must obey TN CC laws when you are out of state?  When I checked with the Indiana state police (my daughters live in Indianapolis) about this very issue because I was not sure if I was suppose to follow IL law or IN law.  The IN state police responded that I must follow Indiana concealed carry laws just like I have to obey their traffic laws.  I guess the reason being is that police in one state most likely do know the laws of other states, and besides that, they cannot enforces other states laws.  Just my uneducated opinion on TN CC laws but I am guessing that a TN resident will be required to  comply with the laws of whatever state they happen to be in.  Please correct me if I am wrong as I really need to know.   Thanks to all of your input.

With regards to Indiana there is no such thing as Indiana concealed carry laws. Indiana issues a license to carry a handgun (LTCHG) The law is silent on method of carry. Thus open or concealled carry is acceptable where legal to do so. As an aside I would not recommend open carry in Indy while legal to do so it can cause some issues. Also no guns signs do not have the force of law however retailers etc can ask you to leave. In which case if you elect not to you could be deemed trespassing.

wcd:  You are correct about carrying in IN, concealed vs open.  Since IL only has concealed carry, I sometimes forget that other states are more progressive and allow concealed or open carry.

Garufa:  Yes, that's what I was taught in my cc class and in follow up discussions on other forums.

Yes, you must obey the laws of the state you are in. We aren’t required to notify LEO’s if we are stopped on a traffic stop, but if we go to a state that requires it we are.

wcd:  You are correct about carrying in IN, concealed vs open.  Since IL only has concealed carry, I sometimes forget that other states are more progressive and allow concealed or open carry.

Garufa:  Yes, that's what I was taught in my cc class and in follow up discussions on other forums.

We lived in North West Indiana for 5 years when I was based out of Chicago. The commute was well worth it no ofense but I could not live in Illinois. Sure there are lots of nice people that do live there especially when you get out of Cook county.

... we must abide by our law when out of state,which means no carry in our CC then no carry in their CC another example

...but we have to follow TN law when out of state.

Absolutely wrong. No idea where you could get such a fanciful notion. Be sure to inform them of that in NJ, MD, NY, Kali, etc etc. ;)

You comply with the laws of the state in which you currently are.

Yes, you must obey the laws of the state you are in.

Absolutely correct.

And not just with handgun carry issues, but with all laws of course.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

It appears to me that you have "safe haven" in your vehicle with a loaded handgun in the parking lot of prohibited places if you are licensed, even on school property.  Is that a correct assumption?

Yes, but you don't need a license.

(c_) (1) (A) It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any firearm, not used solely for instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution.

(B_) It is not an offense under this subsection (c_) for a nonstudent adult to possess a firearm, if the firearm is contained within a private vehicle operated by the adult and is not handled by the adult, or by any other person acting with the expressed or implied consent of the adult, while the vehicle is on school property.

Edited by DaveTN

Yes, but you don't need a license.

Generally agreed you do for school property with intent to go armed (loaded) and most certainly for any lot posted under 1359 or 1311.

The intent to go armed is the diff between the paragraph you pasted and the one above it which you did not, in 1309. 1313 gives you an out for that, but requires a carry permit.

Otherwise there's no reason for the two almost identical paragraphs in 1309 regarding firearms, with separate penalties.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Does TN have a list of prohibited places to carry?  If so, can someone please post it or reference where it is listed in the laws?  IL has a list of 23 prohibited places that listed in the cc law so it makes easy to see what they are.  However IL law preempts any local or county ordinances such as for parks, etc.  From what I can tell, in TN parks, etc. you have to be familiar the ordinances in the individual areas.