Question for AR gurus

buck1032

I don't know my AR's all that well and a buddy over in Arkansas is gathering parts for a build. He has most of the lower stuff and is asking me about uppers. I do understand this question is along the lines of whats better 9mm vs 45. But whats a good starter AR 5.56 upper? Chrome line barrel or not?

Although the not a Guru. A lot of questions come to mind
What are you using it for. Target, hunting , personal protection or just slinging lead at the range
What is your budget
If accuracy is not a big deal I would go chrome lined, if it is I would use stainless

I just finished a build (my first) and I used a Anderson Arms upper and 3/4" stainless barrel in 223.

I'm sure many with more knowledge will chime in.

My buddy that's building this says maybe a whitetail deer in occasion but mostly plinking. He has nice 7 acre spread over there with deer aka yard rats that he is thinking about hunting. He is budget minded (yes I know budgets and guns are not two words that work well with one another) and getting parts as time and money permits. The extent of my knowledge is mostly my preferences, steel barrel not chromed. I don't care for a fully railed fore grip. I have handled M-4's with all sorts of stuff stuck on them and didn't care for it. I am not an operator and don't plan on assaulting a vessel, compound or building. LOL 

http://palmettostatearmory.com/

Palmetto State has numerous offerings at very good prices.  They constantly are running sales (as in prices change daily).  Many of their uppers use FN barrels....same as USGI.  I have a couple and they are very good for the price.

I agree with Garufa - Palmetto is a very good place to look. Their stuff is very high quality and priced very reasonably. Palmetto frequently markets assembled uppers with blemishes for really good prices, and the blemishes don't amount to much at all, so you might look for one of those. Chrome lining holds down on fouling but isn't essential in a plinker, but be aware that an unlined barrel requires more elbow grease to clean and you have to work harder to get the copper fouling under control if you shoot a lot.

I see a bit of a conflict between having a 5.56mm plinker that will double as a deer gun, if that's what you're saying. I've never thought the 5.56mm cartridge to be very good on deer. It's legal in some states but not in others, so your friend might want to check his Arkansas game laws before sinking his money into a 5.56mm rifle.  Hope this helps.

PSA is the way to go for a complete uper hard to beat there prices try to find a 223 Wylde chamber it will shoot 5.56 and 223 and will be more accurate with the 223 than a standard 556 chamber chrome is better than plane steel melonite is the better than both i personally prefer stane less steel over all of them i ordered the parts this morning to do a 20" SDM all PSA parts except the barrel it is a AR Stoner from mid way i tell any one who is getting in to AR's go to local gun shops and check out what they have and what you like take notes and then do your research good luck with your hunt

All good points and I will pass that along. I too agree that 5.56 is a little light for deer, but I just did a look and it seems legal there as long as he isn't using military "ball" ammo. I probably should take notes of this and build on myself one day. I thank you all for the info given.

All good points and I will pass that along. I too agree that 5.56 is a little light for deer, but I just did a look and it seems legal there as long as he isn't using military "ball" ammo. I probably should take notes of this and build on myself one day. I thank you all for the info given.

You can shoot 223 out of a 556. But not 556 out of 223. That is what they say i have shoot 556 thrue a 223 chamber and it did not blow up in my face i deer hunt with a ar chamber in 556 but i shoot hornady American white tail .223 and it works great i kill two deer this year with it
You can build a quality AR for under 650 if you shop the sales on a view websites...I like the following:

Palmetto State Armory (SC)
Anderson Manufacturing (KY)
Primary Arms (TX)

I included geography for which ever ships faster to AK.

Built myself a SBR with only those three (minus the form 1 blah blah) came out to $571 worth in parts including shipping costs.

Its an addictive hobby

Its an addictive hobby

That's what I am afraid of. I have too many hobbies and irons in the fire as we speak. Mainly my time these days is devoted to family and entertaining our 8 y/o son. I haven't been to the range in way too long and even longer since I have ridden my Harley. With the weather improving I hope to be able to shoot some of the guns I already own and even get some riding in. Who am I kidding, I will be stuck on the John Deere again this year. ;( LOL

There are some pretty good weekend sales going on right now with free shipping. First, Palmetto has a high-quality upper without BCG or charging handle here for $280:http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/daily-deals-new/psa-16-carbine-length-chf-m4-5-56-1-7-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

The BCG/charging handle package is $125: http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/psa-nib-5-56-nato-bolt-carrier-group-and-charging-handle-combo.html

Not a bad combination/price since you're saving around $20 for shipping. $405 out the door for a quality upper is not bad at all. If your friend watched his prices on his lower assembly he could have a complete AR out the door for less than $600. FWIW.

Get a barrel that is melonited. It is better than anything else, including chrome lined. They are making BCGs that are Aldo melonited and, dare I say, they too are better than anything else.

As far as twist I would get an 8 or 9 twist and forget the 7 twist.

I can pm my number so you friend can talk to me.

Dolo, Unless your number has change I do have it. We spoke on the phone a few times. I am the retired squid down here in Cleveland with similar family situations. Is your last two phone digits 96? I have been sending him the responses to this thread via email. When I was at his house last weekend I pulled up TGO and told him to register and join in the fun here. He seemed hesitant, but I will get him onboard here one way or the other. LOL 

Cool. If you don't mind I will PM you his number and text yours to him. His name is David, retired ADC (E-7) and one of my closets brothers. Feel free to call him Sparky, the name I tagged him with when he started working for me. LOL