My developing knife 'philosophy' and recent purchases

I am certainly no knife expert.  Instead, I am just a guy who has been carrying a pocket knife most days for close to forty years (I am forty three.)  Over the course of those years I have carried several, different styles and types of pocket knife ranging from very traditional, three blade Old Timers to Swiss Army knives to assisted opening single blades with more of a 'tactical' look.

I have said in other threads that I have zero knowledge, training or experience in knife fighting.  I have also said that, if backed into a corner with my life in danger and no options I would certainly try to defend myself with a knife as a last ditch effort.  However, when choosing a knife for edc I tend to look more for a general purpose tool with the remote idea of possibly having to use it for sd kind of in the back of my mind.

Lately, I have become interested in the idea of carrying a small to medium sized fixed blade knife.  The thing I like about fixed blades is that they don't have the 'hinge' as a weak point so that - especially full tang fixed blades - are theoretically more sturdy over time.  In theory, then - especially since TN relaxed its knife laws - such a fixed blade would be a great idea for carry.  I have discovered that, in practice, not so much (for me) for the following reasons:

1.  A fixed blade might be 'legal' but it still likely isn't 'appropriate' for some/many situations - much like my views on open carry of a firearm.

2.  I can't carry a fixed blade at work.  Being that work is the place I spend the majority of my time away from home that means most of the time I am away from home I can't carry a fixed blade.  It also means that, while I might have a fixed blade in my vehicle, I am not going to have it 'on me' on the way to and from work.  These factors, then, relegate a fixed blade to a role of occasional weekend/evening carry.  While I am still interested in doing so, I can't really consider a fixed blade for true edc at this time.

3.  This is the biggie, right now.  Due to my ongoing physical/health issues I still can't wear a belt.  Obviously, it is pretty hard to carry a fixed blade belt knife without wearing a belt.  I have started carrying a sling pack and can carry a fixed blade in or on it but that is somehow just not the same as it isn't right at hand, ready for use.

All of these factors have combined to cause me to come to the realization that for daily carry/use, a folder is the way to go, for me - at least right now.  That means deciding which folder.  A few factors are immediately obvious:

1.  I want something that is fairly easily replaceable should I lose it.  Once I decide on 'the' knife, I might even purchase one or more 'extras' in case I lose or wear one out.  I have done this in the past in case a certain knife that I decide I really like should be discontinued at some point by the company.  This means I want a knife that is fairly readily available.  This also means no 'custom', 'semi-custom' or high end production knives.  For me, a knife that costs over $50 is something I am probably not going to carry regularly and even $50 is pushing the high end of what I would want to spend on an edc knife, generally speaking.  Honestly, I am much more comfortable keeping the price somewhere closer to $30.  Luckily for me, some of the well known and trusted companies (such as Kershaw, Gerber, Buck, etc.) have 'budget' lines that, although made in China or some, other Asian country, are still good, quality knives.  Heck, there are even a few knives from these companies that are made in America and that fall into the general price range.  Another reason for keeping the price down is that I want to be able to afford to build a 'collection' of such knives and try out several, different knives for the edc role..

2.  I want something that can be quickly/easily opened with one hand that has a pocket clip and some type of locking mechanism.  I still like the old, traditional style of pocket knife and might carry one of those in addition to the knife in question, sometimes.  However, while I used to think of such things as 'extras' I have now come to consider those, three features as 'non-negotiables' for an edc folding blade.  Further, I prefer a knife that features assisted opening but the lack thereof is not a deal breaker.  I could take or leave automatic opening but with the advent of assisted opening I don't find automatics quite as exciting as I once did not to mention that I am not likely to find an automatic knife that fits all my other criteria in the price range I am willing to pay (although I might one day look into one of the automatic Boker Kalashnikovs.)

3.  I want a folder with the largest blade I can reasonably carry.  I don't really consider the huge Cold Steel knives as being 'practical' for me to carry on a daily basis.  In fact, for me those things would be more of a 'novelty' than something I'd be likely to have in my pocket at any, given time.  Further, to me those knives seem to be designed more as fighting knives than for general purpose use.  When the knife law first changed last year I got all excited about the prospect of carrying a really big, folding knife.  When I went looking, however, I began to realize just how big a folder with a blade of four inches or more really is.  I bought a Rough Rider Deer Slayer that has a blade length of just over four inches just to have 'something' in that size range and quickly realized just how big such a knife is when carried in the pocket of a pair of Dockers (the type of pants I wear to work.)  A pocket clip to keep it in place would likely help but I really don't see carrying anything with a blade of 5 inches or more.  Therefore, I want a folder that strikes a balance between a big blade and still fitting well in my pocket.  More than likely, then, I am looking for something with a blade length between 3.5 and 4.5 inches.

3a.  When I say a large blade, I don't just mean length.  Ideally, the blade would be fairly wide and thick, as well.  I want something big and sturdy.

4.  For my use, I don't really care if the blade or overall knife has a 'tactical' design.  In fact, while that wouldn't immediately cause me to not consider the knife, I would just as soon it didn't have an overly 'tactical' or 'tacticool' look.  Some of the more 'tactical' designs probably would not be best for my use.  For instance, I don't think that a Wharncliffe type blade would be the best for this application.  As much as I like the look of a tanto style blade, while it would probably work okay and while I will try some out, also might not prove to be the absolute best solution.  I do not want a serrated or partially serrated blade.

5.  As the best 'survival knife' is the knife you have on you if you find yourself in a less than ideal situation, I want a folder that can at least handle the majority of potential 'camp knife' type tasks.  I know that a folder that fits in a pocket isn't the ideal for such situations but in this case some compromises must be made.  Luckily, the need to use this knife for such purposes falls into the 'possible but not real likely' category so it isn't my top criteria, simply a consideration.

With these factors in mind, I have recently ordered a few, different folders from Amazon.  These should give me a small sample of folding knives from which I will either settle on my 'closest to perfect as possible' edc or use as a starting point to decide on what knives to order next (or both.)

These two should be arriving today:

Kershaw Freefall.  This one has a bit of a 'tactical' look and is a tanto style but the blade (at least from the pics) looks to be fairly hefty.  I am also interested in the ergonomics which I predict will either be really good or really bad.  It is an assisted opening knife which is a plus and with a price point under twenty bucks before shipping, etc. (which claims to be about 1/2 the list price) I had to give it a try.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AU6NRJU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Kershaw Manifold.  Also an assisted opening knife, the 3.5 inch, drop point blade on this one looks pretty sturdy, too.  I must also admit to being a fan of Kershaw's 'blackwash' finish.  My nephew got me one of the Kershaw knives that Walmart sells as a display item around the holidays for Christmas.  It has the blackwash finish and is assisted opening.  I have been impressed with it.  In fact, if it had a longer blade it would be in the running for my perfect edc even though it is a bit more of a 'tactical' design than I am wanting for this purpose.  The only drawback to it (and this will probably also be a factor for the Manifold) is that the stainless grips make it pretty heavy for the size.  Again, at under twenty bucks before s&h how could I resist?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ILFL5X2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here are a couple I ordered this morning:

Spyderco Resilience.  I know that the Spyderco knives tend to run more toward the idea of a sd knife than an everyday tool but I have known people who used Spyderco knives as edc, general purpose knives and really liked them.  I like that this one has a pretty good sized blade for a folder (4.25 inches) and I like how flat most of the Spyderco designs seem to be.  Honestly, two big factors in my decision to buy this knife are that I currently do no own any Spyderco knives and the fact that it was $39.19 before s&h.  According to the listing (and the prices I usually see on Spyderco products) this is a little less than half the normal, list price.  Not assisted opening but certainly one-handed opening.  I think I'll like it and will probably carry it at least sometimes even if it doesn't end up as my edc.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AWOLV8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ontario Rat.  This is actually the one that, just looking at pics, I am holding out the most hope for as an edc.  See, my favorite folding blade style is the old Sodbuster type knife.  I carried a Case Sodbuster Junior for several years in my teens and loved that blade.  I currently own a Case Sodbuster as well as a Junior but don't carry them because they aren't easy to open one-handed, don't lock and don't have a pocket clip.  Looking at pics of the RAT, I realized that the blade shape actually appears to be very similar to that of my Sodbusters - maybe even a little better - in a package that does feature one hand opening, a pocket clip and a locking blade.  I have read a lot of good things about the RAT both in online reviews as well as on various forums to which I belong.    According to the listing, this one also appears to be going for a little less than half the normal, list price and my previous experience looking at/pricing them supports that.  If the price stays in that range, this one might just end up being the knife that of which I end up ordering multiples but I will have to wait until it spends some time in my pocket before I will be sure. 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013ASG3E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by JAB

Thanks for the suggestion, daddyo.  I checked that one out on Amazon.  It looks good and I have added it to my wish list (gotta be careful about ordering too many at a time - too easy to spend money when it just seems like clicking a button.)

Well written and I enjoyed reading it. You and I see things quite similarly. I have the Kershaw freefall, liked it, but the screw that holds the pocket clip on is a real weak spot. After a month, the threads stripped. Now it just sits on the dresser. I am now carrying a boker Kalashnikov. I love it. For a 50$ knife, I couldn't do much better. Keep us posted.

Well written and I enjoyed reading it. You and I see things quite similarly. I have the Kershaw freefall, liked it, but the screw that holds the pocket clip on is a real weak spot. After a month, the threads stripped. Now it just sits on the dresser. I am now carrying a boker Kalashnikov. I love it. For a 50$ knife, I couldn't do much better. Keep us posted.

I agree about the pocket clip being a weak point on Kershaws. That's been my experience with them anyway.

My first ever assisted opening knife (and maybe my first one with a pocket clip) was a Kershaw - one of the earlier Scallions, I think.  The screws came out of the pocket clip, the clip came off and the screws were lost so I have had a similar experience.  I don't think the screws stripped, just backed out.  I've been carrying my Kershaw Crown most days for a couple of years, now and the pocket clip hasn't budged.  Because of that early experience with the Scallion, though, I check the screws on any knife with a pocket clip periodically.  I hadn't realized that was a common problem with Kershaws in particular, though.  Thanks for the heads up, guys.

I don't know if they would be any cheaper but I always go to BladeHQ for ordering knives online.

I've compared BladeHQ, Amazon, SMKW and Walmart.com on the prices of a few knives and found them to be pretty close on prices most of the time.  Mostly, I stick with Amazon out of, well, laziness (since I already have an account there) and a desire not to have too many accounts on too many websites.  That said, I'll have to keep an eye out on BladeHQ, as well in case they have a deal or in case they have something that Amazon doesn't.

I've owned a RAT1 with the serrated blade.  I gave it to my future son-in-law when he started his unarmed security job.  Great knife, but I was less than thrilled with the serrated edge.  I prefer a plain blade.  I bought the serrated blade version on a whim.  Other than the blade, I loved the knife.  It's big and hand filling.  Flicks upon easily and is built like a TANK!!!  The point could have been pointier also.  It's a very solid knife though.  You will probably like it.

I have a lot of folders, but I carry a SAK with me all the time, and my main blade is either a small Folts Minimalist or an ESEE Izula.  Both fit in my pocket easily.  I rarely carry the Izula on my belt and the Folts just fits so easily in my pocket, I forget its there.  Neither is a tactical blade IMO, due to the blade length.  Both are less than 3", but they are both so handy for daily use! 

I also can't really carry a fixed blade at work so my edc is a kershaw cryo, the smaller one. I really like it. It gets shaving sharp and holds an edge really well. I also think the flipper is neat. It's the right size and does everything I want it to. I've had no trouble from the clip.

I've had a Spyderco Resilience for what seems forever. It's been a good knife. I have no complaints about it.

It really says something when a man who makes his own (very nice) knives likes a knife.

I've carried one of these:  http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Fine-Edge-Folding-Knife/dp/B00CHHE65Y   for several years. It's been a great knife and has never failed me.  It's a Gerber EZ Out Fine Edge Clip Folding Knife. I actually have 2. one fine edge and one that is half serrated. Both are great knives IMO.

Interesting.  I like that it kinda goes 'off the reservation' with the lock style.  Seems like most knives like these use a liner lock.

I've owned a RAT1 with the serrated blade.  I gave it to my future son-in-law when he started his unarmed security job.  Great knife, but I was less than thrilled with the serrated edge.  I prefer a plain blade.  I bought the serrated blade version on a whim.  Other than the blade, I loved the knife.  It's big and hand filling.  Flicks upon easily and is built like a TANK!!!  The point could have been pointier also.  It's a very solid knife though.  You will probably like it.

I have a lot of folders, but I carry a SAK with me all the time, and my main blade is either a small Folts Minimalist or an ESEE Izula.  Both fit in my pocket easily.  I rarely carry the Izula on my belt and the Folts just fits so easily in my pocket, I forget its there.  Neither is a tactical blade IMO, due to the blade length.  Both are less than 3", but they are both so handy for daily use! 

Thanks for the comments on the RAT.  Just from the pics, I have high hopes for really liking it.  I have a SAK (Tinker) in my sling pack.  I've thought about replacing it with a multi-tool (those pliers can come in handy) but the nerd in me who was a fan of MacGyver balks at the idea.  I've looked at the CRKT Folts Minimalists but didn't like the handle style so I bought a couple of Cold Steel Mini-Tacs (Skinner and Beavertail), instead.  I really like the look of the S.P.E.W., though - the handle style is different and the material used looks really good.  Even though the blade on it is small I still think of it as a 'tactical' blade because it is a Wharncliffe style.  I am thinking about picking one up, though, because the Cold Steel knives/sheaths are kind of bulky around my neck and because I just think the S.P.E.W. is a really attractive looking knife.

I also can't really carry a fixed blade at work so my edc is a kershaw cryo, the smaller one. I really like it. It gets shaving sharp and holds an edge really well. I also think the flipper is neat. It's the right size and does everything I want it to. I've had no trouble from the clip.

The Kershaw my nephew got me for Christmas looks a lot like a Cryo but the edge is straight, not concave.  In fact, I was thinking that the packaging called it a 'Cryo'.  Maybe just a different style or something that was a Walmart only model.  It is a good knife and I keep it in a zipper pouch on the sling of my pack as a back-up folder.  I just don't want to pocket carry it and chance losing it since it was a gift.

I enjoyed reading your well thought out post.  I'm definitely interested in hearing your follow up thoughts as you try out the different knives you've ordered.  Keep us posted!

Thanks.  I will.

OK, so the first two folders I ordered from Amazon arrived yesterday as expected.  Here are some pics - the Manifold is on top and the Freefall on the bottom in the pics.

IMG_20150401_100556.jpg

IMG_20150401_100544.jpg

IMG_20150401_100519.jpg

IMG_20150401_100450.jpg

First impressions are:

Both came out of the box with good, sharp edges.  Not quite shaving sharp (although it probably wouldn't take much to make them so) but still plenty sharp.  The Freefall, with it's plastic grips, is a bit lighter than the Manifold.  In fact, because of the 'beefiness' of the Manifold the Freefall almost felt a little flimsy.  The assisted opening mechanism works well in both and both flipped open smoothly and easily after opening and closing them once or twice to get things limbered up.  I immediately liked the way the Manifold felt in my hand.  The Freefall, not so much.  I also think I like the blade style used in the Manifold better.  Still, I decided to give the Freefall the first shot in my pocket and so will carry it for a few days to see how it does.  Part of the reason I went with it, first is that (as mentioned above) I can't wear a belt right now.  I wear Dockers with suspenders to work so being slightly lighter is a plus for the Freefall at this time.  Another thing the Freefall has going for it is that I do kind of prefer tip up carry to tip down.

In order to grow more accustomed to it, I just sort of played around with the Freefall while I sat watching television last night - opening it, closing it, getting more used to how it feels in my hand and so on.  Doing so, I did find that it began to feel better in my hand than it initially did and so I began liking it more.  The liner lock seems to give a good, positive lock - to the point that it can be a little difficult to disengage.  On my example, at least, you really have to push on the locking piece and it has to be pushed until nearly flush with the rest of the liner before the blade will close.  It might loosen up a little over time but all things considered I'd rather have a knife that is a little harder to close than one I can't trust to stay open.  The middle knuckle on my right, middle finger is crooked to this day from having had a non-locking blade close up on me, once, about 25 years ago.  It only took three stitches to close the cut but still I don't believe that a person is meant to see their own knuckle bones.  That is why having some type of locking mechanism on my main edc knife is pretty high on my list of desired traits for a knife.  I even own one SAK model that has a locking blade.

The blade shape of the Freefall, as mentioned, is a version of the tanto style.  As I said, before, while I often like the way tanto style knives look, that isn't necessarily my 'ideal' blade style for an edc folder.  That said, the Freefall has a tip that is a little more rounded as it goes into the tip angle, more like what I think of as a real, traditional (Japanese) tanto style than the abrupt, hard angle of some 'tactical' tanto blades.  Also - and this is something I was very pleased to see - the cutting edge is slightly convex, giving it a bit of a curved 'belly', which I think will lend itself better to general purpose usage than the flat, straight cutting edge that many tanto style blades have.

Keeping in mind the warnings from posters above who have had trouble with the pocket clips on some Kershaw knives (and the post from broox who had the clip rather quickly fail on his Freefall) I decided to be proactive to hopefully prevent such troubles with mine.  I have never had any need to remove the clip from any of my knives that are so equipped and foresee no reason to remove the clip from my Freefall.  Therefore, I put a dab of Gorilla Glue on the top surface of the clip and covering the head of the screw.  Being liquid, even thought I didn't put much, the glue got a little bit under the clip and even on the bottom part of the screw.  Hopefully that will keep everything in place.  We'll see, I guess.

Speaking of the pocket clip, Kershaw clips tend to be really tight in my experience.  So tight that they can be difficult to clip in to the pocket and equally difficult to pull out of the pocket - especially with khakis that don't have the stiffness of denim jeans, etc.  I have been known, in the past, to slip something like a flathead screwdriver tip under the clip and bend it out just a little.  I have also experienced that sometimes the clips loosen up over time just through use.  I'm going to give the Freefall clip the chance to do the latter, first, but might end up applying the former solution if it doesn't give a little.

So those are my first impressions of these, two knives and of the Freefall in particular.  Now, just for kicks, here is a 'family pic' of all the Kershaw folder models I currently own:

IMG_20150401_100337.jpg

That is the Manifold on top and the Freefall under it.  Next is the one my nephew got me for Christmas (some model of Cryo?)  Below that is the Crown that has been my most regular edc for a couple of years.  At the bottom is the Scallion that lost its pocket clip.

I really like the Crown but just wish the blade were larger.  I bought mine on clearance at Walmart (I think Kershaw still makes the Crown but maybe something minor changed so Wally was getting rid of the 'old' models or something.)  The clearance price was $10 and after getting it home and carrying it for a couple of days I decided I really liked it so I hit a couple of Walmart locations and bought three or four more in case I lost or wore out the first one.  I imagine it will still find its way into my pocket from time to time.

Edited by JAB

JAB....

I'm a big fan of these little kershaw-emerson knives... i've got several of 'em.... I highly recommend 'em; and ya cant beat the price...

Check this one out... http://kershawguy.com/products-page/low-priced-imported-items/kershaw-emerson-cqc-6k-knife-3-25-stonewash-6034/

I'm also a fan of these folders as well... Same story... Got several of 'em.... 

Check this one out... http://www.knifeworks.com/eseeavispafolderorangenylonhandlessatinaus-8bladeplainedgepre-order.aspx#.VRwL5_nF-So

All in the $30 to $40 dollar range... Both well built and easy to keep sharp...

I like 'em both...

leroy

JAB....

I'm a big fan of these little kershaw-emerson knives... i've got several of 'em.... I highly recommend 'em; and ya cant beat the price...

Check this one out... http://kershawguy.com/products-page/low-priced-imported-items/kershaw-emerson-cqc-6k-knife-3-25-stonewash-6034/

I'm also a fan of these folders as well... Same story... Got several of 'em.... 

Check this one out... http://www.knifeworks.com/eseeavispafolderorangenylonhandlessatinaus-8bladeplainedgepre-order.aspx#.VRwL5_nF-So

All in the $30 to $40 dollar range... Both well built and easy to keep sharp...

I like 'em both...

leroy

Added both to my wish list.  I really like the look of that Avispa.  Like the RAT, it looks to have a blade style similar to my old Sodbusters which is a big plus for it.

• Like 1

My Secret Santa got me a Kershaw Blackwash with a Tanto Style, 3.75 inch blade. In fact I think it's the #3 knife in your second set of pics on post #15. I've found it to be a very good, strong, and sharp general purpose carry knife. 

With the "flipper" it opens very easily and it has a good strong lockup. Very little flex on the pivot.

I think it's a great blade, and if you shop at Bass Pro, it's almost as cheap as Amazon and e-bay prices. lol

Seriously, it's a very good knife, and I thank my Secret Santa every time I clip it on.

But like the rest of you knife clowns/nuts/collectors/accumulators, I been afflicted with the desire to not carry the same one each day.

Darn you Willis. lol

• Like 2

My Secret Santa got me a Kershaw Blackwash with a Tanto Style, 3.75 inch blade. In fact I think it's the #3 knife in your second set of pics on post #15. I've found it to be a very good, strong, and sharp general purpose carry knife. 

With the "flipper" it opens very easily and it has a good strong lockup. Very little flex on the pivot.

I think it's a great blade, and if you shop at Bass Pro, it's almost as cheap as Amazon and e-bay prices. lol

Seriously, it's a very good knife, and I thank my Secret Santa every time I clip it on.

But like the rest of you knife clowns/nuts/collectors/accumulators, I been afflicted with the desire to not carry the same one each day.

Darn you Willis. lol

I think the blade on mine is closer to 3.25.  If there is a 3.75 inch version I want it!  You are right, it is a good knife that seems very strong.  As I said, I keep it in a zipper pocket that is on the strap of my sling pack as a back up or in case I forget to put my edc in my pocket.  For some reason, though (partly because it was a gift and partly because it isn't my 'perfect' edc knife) I don't really want to edc it.  There really isn't a lot 'bad' to say about it, I just don't get that, "Yeah, this is THE knife," feeling that some knives have given me in the past.

I like going to Bass Pro but the closest one to me is just off the Sevierville/Dollywood exit just about a mile or two from Smoky Mountain Knife Works so if I am up that way looking for knives I usually go to SMKW.  Oh, I'll still stop at Bass Pro I just tend to look more at ammo and the like there.  The only problem with going to SMKW is that I sometimes get overwhelmed.  If you have never been in there, they have everything from fantasy/movie sword and knife repros to mall ninja nonsense right through to awesome knives that are out of my price range and a whole lot of good knives that are in my price range (which keeps me running around trying to narrow it down to one or two that I can actually buy at a time.)  You will sometimes stumble across a sale that makes a knife you were sort of considering suddenly irresistible. They have one counter dedicated to a pretty good selection of Rough Rider knives which are very affordable and have a good reputation, especially at their price point.  They have a Cold Steel section, a CRKT section and a Benchmade section (I just sort of look at the Benchmade knives and think how nice some of them look before moving on to things that won't hurt my wallet quite as badly.)  They also, of course, have entire sections dedicated to Gerber, Kershaw, Case and most of the other, big names.  There is a pretty good sized section for Victorinox SAKs, too.  I could literally spend hours in SMKW agonizing over which one or two knives to take home with me.

Edited by JAB
  • Like 1

I think the blade on mine is closer to 3.25.  If there is a 3.75 inch version I want it!  You are right, it is a good knife that seems very strong.  As I said, I keep it in a zipper pocket that is on the strap of my sling pack as a back up or in case I forget to put my edc in my pocket.  For some reason, though (partly because it was a gift and partly because it isn't my 'perfect' edc knife) I don't really want to edc it.  There really isn't a lot 'bad' to say about it, I just don't get that, "Yeah, this is THE knife," feeling that some knives have given me in the past.

Yes, mine is a 3.75 inch blade. I'm pretty sure it came from Bass Pro. It was in a package with a mini flashlight in a blister pack. If it's the same one, it's very reasonably priced at around 22 bucks.

Kershaw was my favorite brand for awhile, until this goofball named Willis68 forced me into buying all these sweet Protech knives. :/ I too started with some of the $10-20 flippers, had the Crown, Cryo, and half a dozen others. Then I got the nicer Leek, Scallion, and another I can't remember at the moment. I really liked those, except that they are SO thin they can be hard to manipulate, and I felt they were a little delicate.

I found a smokin' deal on factory seconds on Amazon, and got this Blur tanto for $27. I think they used to be around $50-60.
IMG_20140403_232008_459_zps91a4bdb6.jpg

That was my main carry until my father-in-law gifted me with a SOG Tanto Aegis on a visit to Smoky Mountain knifeworks. That was cool at first, but soon the blade became wobbly, and I actually broke the tip of the blade diggin a bullet out of a bowling pin. I still have that knife, but it sits in my tool chest for messy jobs I don't want to ruin something else doing. I went back to the Blur after retiring the SOG. Then the Protechs happened.

The LG101 became my EDC and is still my favorite all-round knife. Tough, excellent weighting, and super comfy to use. That spot for you trigger finger is placed jjjuuuuusssstt right!
20140619_215813_zps1tw9o5q0.jpg

Very sadly, I have not been able to find it for the last 10 days or so. I keep telling myself it will turn up, but that sick feeling that it's gone forever is creeping in. I'm really sad that I may not ever see it again. It's such a great design I'll definitely buy another if it doesn't reappear in awhile, but it will never be my original TGO #15. :-(

Keep on experimenting and trying out new blades! It's tons of fun, and when you become a ridiculous hoarder/prepper like I'm beginning to be, you'll have a good blade or two for every bug-out bag or bucket in your house/car!

My EDC now is my TGO Runt two-tone. Love that booger, but it's so pretty I have a tough time pressing it into some uses still. If I found my LG101 tomorrow, it would go right back to its EDC role.

Kershaw was my favorite brand for awhile, until this goofball named Willis68 forced me into buying all these sweet Protech knives. :/ I too started with some of the $10-20 flippers, had the Crown, Cryo, and half a dozen others. Then I got the nicer Leek, Scallion, and another I can't remember at the moment. I really liked those, except that they are SO thin they can be hard to manipulate, and I felt they were a little delicate.

I found a smokin' deal on factory seconds on Amazon, and got this Blur tanto for $27. I think they used to be around $50-60.
IMG_20140403_232008_459_zps91a4bdb6.jpg

That was my main carry until my father-in-law gifted me with a SOG Tanto Aegis on a visit to Smoky Mountain knifeworks. That was cool at first, but soon the blade became wobbly, and I actually broke the tip of the blade diggin a bullet out of a bowling pin. I still have that knife, but it sits in my tool chest for messy jobs I don't want to ruin something else doing. I went back to the Blur after retiring the SOG. Then the Protechs happened.

The LG101 became my EDC and is still my favorite all-round knife. Tough, excellent weighting, and super comfy to use. That spot for you trigger finger is placed jjjuuuuusssstt right!
20140619_215813_zps1tw9o5q0.jpg

Very sadly, I have not been able to find it for the last 10 days or so. I keep telling myself it will turn up, but that sick feeling that it's gone forever is creeping in. I'm really sad that I may not ever see it again. It's such a great design I'll definitely buy another if it doesn't reappear in awhile, but it will never be my original TGO #15. :-(

Keep on experimenting and trying out new blades! It's tons of fun, and when you become a ridiculous hoarder/prepper like I'm beginning to be, you'll have a good blade or two for every bug-out bag or bucket in your house/car!

My EDC now is my TGO Runt two-tone. Love that booger, but it's so pretty I have a tough time pressing it into some uses still. If I found my LG101 tomorrow, it would go right back to its EDC role.

I hope you find your LG101

Thanks. Me too! This morning I asked wifey if she's seen it around. She asked if I checked the couch. Duh! I haven't, but we're out of town right now. As soon as I get home, that's the first thing I'll check!

I'm usually pretty good at holding on to my knives. I only carry 4 things in my pockets: phone, keys, knife, and wallet. Each has their specific place and I am constantly taking "pocket inventory" throughout the day. When I take a knife out to use it, I use it and immediately close it and put it back. Even if I'm performing a few tasks in a row, I rarely ever set a knife down. I close it and put it away, then pull it back out when I need it again. :/

And if I can't find it, I may be calling you about a TR3. Looks similar but maybe a little more sleek? Definitely something I'm interested in. I'll be at SMKW in a few weeks and will fondle them there so I can figure out if I'd prefer it to the LG. Heck, even if I FIND the thhing I'll still probably be talking to you about a TR3 in a month or so. ;-) Edited by musicman
  • Like 1

Thanks. Me too! This morning I asked wifey if she's seen it around. She asked if I checked the couch. Duh! I haven't, but we're out of town right now. As soon as I get home, that's the first thing I'll check!

I'm usually pretty good at holding on to my knives. I only carry 4 things in my pockets: phone, keys, knife, and wallet. Each has their specific place and I am constantly taking "pocket inventory" throughout the day. When I take a knife out to use it, I use it and immediately close it and put it back. Even if I'm performing a few tasks in a row, I rarely ever set a knife down. I close it and put it away, then pull it back out when I need it again. :/

And if I can't find it, I may be calling you about a TR3. Looks similar but maybe a little more sleek? Definitely something I'm interested in. I'll be at SMKW in a few weeks and will fondle them there so I can figure out if I'd prefer it to the LG. Heck, even if I FIND the thhing I'll still probably be talking to you about a TR3 in a month or so. ;-)

Sounds like me.  Everything has a specific pocket and I never change them. Wallet in front left with cell phone.  Knife and keys in my front right.  BTW, I went with a leather credit card holder for a wallet. It's much smaller than a regular wallet and I forget I'm carrying it sometimes.  Can't really stand anything in my back pockets anymore.