6.8x43 Build - Complete minus scope

I have talked about this for months, and finally complete (thanks to some great ideas on how to fix a muzzle brake index issue in the troubleshooting forum)!

Built this to deer hunt with, and mid-range target shooting (500-600 yards). 

Things still to add:

Scope - looking at a Vortex Viper 4-14x44

Dedicated bolt carrier - plan to buy a Stag Arms 6.8 BCG and keep that bolt as a spare

Possibly a bipod - Caldwell has a Harris style that seems to have high reviews.

Receivers are from Palmetto State - I thought about going with a "higher end" set but PSA receivers have worked well for me so far.

Lower: 

Gray Magpul Moe K2 grip

Ambi selector

Seekins enhanced bolt catch/release

Larue Tactical MBT-2S trigger

VLTOR Emod buttstock

Upper:

16" socom profile barrel from ARP (AR15Performance). It has their hybrid 5R 1:11.25" twist, melonite finished.

Matched ARP 6.8 Superbolt

15" Seekins keymod rail

YHM gas block

YHM slant muzzle brake

Strike Industries extended latch charging handle

BCM keymod QD sling adaptor

BCM keymod vertical grip - likely will get replaced with bipod

IMG_20150331_210432.jpgIMG_20150331_210320.jpgIMG_20150331_210350.jpgIMG_20150331_210501.jpgIMG_20150331_210532.jpgIMG_20150331_210249.jpgIMG_20150331_210213.jpgIMG_20150331_210919.jpg

IMG_20150331_213250.jpgIMG_20150331_213451.jpg

Edited by jonathon1289
  • Like 2

Hope your hunting with plugs in. That brake will kill your ears. You went with the right parts in the right places for sure.

I originally wanted to go with the Troy Medieval brake, but saw this YHM for a good price. A quick search showed generally positive reviews so I grabbed it.

I am tempted to go function fire it this weekend without a scope, probably be another month before I buy the scope I want. May throw up a WTB ad here and see if anyone has a scope close to what I had my mind set on.
I was very tempted to take it out and function fire today with no sights, but managed some control and waiting until I get the scope I want.

I did sit down and load up some ammo to go along with the 100 rounds of SSA 100gr Accubonds I bought. Loaded up some batches of Hornady 110gr BTHP and 120gr SST.
  • 3 weeks later...

I went and test fired this today - 5 rounds without sights/optics just to make sure it worked.

Loaded a mag with a single round 3x, mag with two rounds once. Brass ejected at 4:00 but the bolt failed to lock back on an empty mag twice.The mag loaded with two rounds ejected the first but did not feed the second round.

Was using two C-Products 5 round mags. Failure to lock back happened once with each mag (I have 3 other mags available, just did not use them today). I think the rifle just needs broken in.

I have the scope picked out, just have to order it. Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 MOA version.

Trying to decide between two mounts:

Aero Unltralight extended - http://aeroprecisionusa.com/aspx/store/productdetail.aspx?pid=199

SWFA SSALT - http://swfa.com/SWFA-SSALT-30mm-Scope-Mount-P58814.aspx

I was going to order the Aero last night actually, but every place I checked was out of stock. Probably depends on when it comes back in stock versus when I decide to order the scope.