Heard a strange commercial on the radio

I don't remember all of it but it sounded something like a commercial for a gov draft of some sort, something about ever child who turns 18 must sign up for the reserves or else it's the law, anyone else hear it or have heard of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't remember all of it but it sounded something like a commercial for a gov draft of some sort, something about ever child who turns 18 must sign up for the reserves or else it's the law, anyone else hear it or have heard of it?

Dunno. Everybody still has to register with Selective Service System at 18, perhaps just a US gummit PSA?

Since nobody works any more, or obeys many laws,  maybe there's a big gap with registration because so many have never gotten a Social Security number or something.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1
The commercial is for the Selective Service. The government runs them every year around this time to remind graduating high school males that they must be registered if they plan to obtain student loans. Edited by LINKS2K
  • Like 3

Dunno. Everybody still has to register with Selective Service System at 18, perhaps just a US gummit PSA?

Since nobody works any more, or obeys many laws, maybe there's a big gap with registration because so many have never gotten a Social Security number or something.

- OS

Never heard of that before as far as I know I never signed up for anything like that

Selective Service?

https://www.sss.gov/fswho.htm

that I don't know it was strange

The commercial is for the Selective Service. The government runs them every year around this time to remind graduating high school males that they must be registered if the plan to obtain student loans.

maybe I did then cause I did get student loans when I went to itt tech

i honestly can't remember I never heard of that before now

Don't listen to any of them. Just don't let the governmert find out if you didn't sign up. You'll be fine.

...maybe...

Don't listen to any of them. Just don't let the governmert find out if you didn't sign up. You'll be fine.

...maybe...

Surely it's cross referenced somewhere along the line with SS number? If so, you'd have to be really off the grid to escape, like never having had one.?

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
  • Like 1

Th requirement to register at age 18 for selective service has been in effect since the late 70's.  Like others have pointed out, this commercial runs every year, repeatedly, and has for many years ...

I remember getting somehing in the mail at that age. There was a card that I sent back, I think.

As a father, I hope in 9 years that when that time comes for my son, it will be a "meh" moment rather than one of trepidation. I read an article about ISIS that basically said that they would like to goad he West into a war that ends with the Muslim version of Armageddon.
  • Like 1
  • Administrator

Still have my card also.  I remember going to the USPS to sign up and the old gentleman who took care of the gov't side of it for me came out from around the counter to shake my hand.  It seemed a little odd to me at the time but I was grateful for his praise, but looking back now I realize that he loved our country as much as I do and was essentially welcoming me to being an adult male constituent of these United States.

I'll never forget that.

I got some nasty letters from the .Gov for not registering for the Selective Service. My problem was I no longer lived at that address when I turned 18. I was on Active Duty stationed at HS-14 in San Diego when I was suppose to sign up. Oops lol

• Like 1

Th requirement to register at age 18 for selective service has been in effect since the late 70's.  Like others have pointed out, this commercial runs every year, repeatedly, and has for many years ...

It was in effect long before the late 70's. I was required to sign up shortly after my graduation in 1966 and I got my draft notice That my friends and neighbors have selected me to serve in our nations Army and gave me the name of the closest recruiters location. I put the letter in my pocket and drove the a Naval recruiters office and signed up for 4 years in the Navy. After we shook hands I pulled out the letter and asked if he could do anything about it and he said he would take care of it.

Surely it's cross referenced somewhere along the line with SS number? If so, you'd have to be really off the grid to escape, like never having had one.?

- OS

im not kidding when I say I have never heard of this before now, I know of the draft back during WWII but that's it

Back in the early 70s I went to my local post office to sign up for the draft. Got my draft card and watch the even news to see what draft numbers came up. Still got my draft card and I volunteered for the army. They stopped the draft and stopped the draft card requirements. But in the 90's I think they started the draft card again. Not real sure of the start date just know there was a time when young men did not have to register.
Not only can you not get student loans without signing up, but you cannot take a federal government job later if you do not register. To be honest, I think one of the only reasons that we have the Selective Service and the process of sending in a card is because of tradition. Most states since about 2000 automatically share your drivers license information to the Selective Service.
  • Like 1

Not only can you not get student loans without signing up, but you cannot take a federal government job later if you do not register. To be honest, I think one of the only reasons that we have the Selective Service and the process of sending in a card is because of tradition. Most states since about 2000 automatically share your drivers license information to the Selective Service.

is Tennessee one of them? If so then that's how I got signed up and got student loans

is Tennessee one of them? If so then that's how I got signed up and got student loans

Yes, I only know of PA that does not sign people up for selective service. Virginia will revoke a license, but I think they sign them up anyway.

Edit: I can not find anything stating where Virginia will revoke a license. They may no longer do that. Edited by Patton