SB0700/HB0745

On the local news last night it was reported that a bill to create a lifetime carry permit was on its way to the governor.  The permit would cost $500.  Big friggin' woop - is this really what legislators are spending 'gun rights' efforts on this year? 

Think about this - at the current rate of $50 for a permit that is now supposed to last 5 years, it would take roughly 50 years to recoup that $500 fee.  Of course, that is provided that nothing ever happens over the course of that 50 years to cause the person to no longer be eligible for the permit (because you can bet the state isn't going to prorate and refund any of that money.)  It also assumes that Constitutional Carry will not pass at any time during that 50 year period, rendering the permit moot for anyone who isn't concerned about reciprocity with other states (because, again, you can bet the state ain't giving any of that money back.)  If you die before that 50 years is up then the balance of the money over what you would have spent at $50 every five years is simply a gift to the state.

50 years means that even a person who opts for the lifetime permit at 21 (and how many 21 year olds have a spare 500 bucks?) that person would have to live to be 71 and never do anything to cause them to become ineligible for a TN HCP (such as becoming mentally ill or moving out of the state) before the cost would balance out.  In my case, I am 43.  Given the health issues I have already had, there is no way I'm living to be 93.

All this and, at least going by what was said on the news last night, the permit holder would still have to be checked for eligibility every five years.  So the only difference would be that the state would get a guaranteed $500 all at one whack rather than having it doled out to them over the years.  I don't really see how this is a benefit for permit holders.  Instead, it just seems like a way for the state to convince people to give them a chunk of change with no guarantee that they will live long enough for the 'benefit' those individuals are purchasing with their $500 to balance out with the cost.  Personally, if I am going to allot $500 to firearms related expenditures I'd rather use that $500 to buy a fairly nice (maybe used) gun and/or some ammo, accessories or so on than give it to the state.  I hate giving the government (state, local, national or whatever) money as it is - especially to purchase the privilege to exercise a right.  I am not going to volunteer to give them 500 bucks when I may not (in my case, probably won't) ever see the full return on my investment.

Now, if that $500 meant a lifetime permit which enabled me to carry anywhere and everywhere - including government buildings, posted locations and so on - and also made me immune to the TICS background check (and the accompanying $10 fee) when purchasing a firearm and replaced any and all  non-commercial hunting or fishing licenses, permits or fees required to fish or hunt for any legal fish or game in any location in the entire state then that might be enough value added to make me at least consider it.  Otherwise, I see no benefit to permit holders whatsoever.

Edited by JAB

Yet another example of our "pro 2A" legislature passing something that "feels good" but does absolutely nothing when applied to the real world-- as if the mindless rabble of citizens can't do 3rd Grade multiplication.

If we're going to clean house of the RINOS and their sycophants who prefer the status quo, it will take a massive organized effort across the entire state well before any actual election. And unfortunately, we will probably have to do it without the help of the NRA-- who apparently operates under the misconception that TN has "gun friendly" lawmakers.

Sure, I know the NRA/ILA has bigger fish to fry in states like NJ, CA, NY, MD and IL, so I understand that TN is pretty low on the totem pole when it comes to 2A restoration issues... so we don't get their attention much. Judging by tepid legislative results of the last few sessions, TN is apparently fine the way it is from the NRA's viewpoint.

Edited by tartanphantom
  • Like 1

The only reason to consider the lifetime permit is to avoid the DMV line.  I spent almost two hours just sitting there on a random day in August when I got my permit last year.  Added up over the lifetime permit, I could literally save a day or two of my life for something more productive.

Sure, I know the NRA/ILA has bigger fish to fry in states like NJ, CA, NY, MD and IL, so I understand that TN is pretty low on the totem pole when it comes to 2A restoration issues... so we don't get their attention much. 

If the NRA/ILA is doing anything in those states besides court fights, they are wasting their time, and their members money.  IL is the only one remotely ready for any legislative agenda campaign to improve gun rights, and even then it's a helluva fight with Chicago sending the level of representation it does.

If they really focused here in Tennessee they would get another state to add for Constitutional carry. campus carry, ect... and add a fresh win going forward to others.

Edited by btq96r

The only reason to consider the lifetime permit is to avoid the DMV line.  I spent almost two hours just sitting there on a random day in August when I got my permit last year.  Added up over the lifetime permit, I could literally save a day or two of my life for something more productive.

Nah. All the renewals can easily be done by mail.

- OS

• Like 1

On a slightly related topic:  I noticed today that the legislature is advancing a proposal to change driver's license renewals from every 5 to every 8 years...coincidentally, in Feb 2015 TN instituted a change in HCP renewals from every 4 to every 5 years to align with DL renewal sequences...am I missing something, or can these dumb bastards not even remember what they did just one session ago???

If the NRA/ILA is doing anything in those states besides court fights, they are wasting their time, and their members money.  IL is the only one remotely ready for any legislative agenda campaign to improve gun rights, and even then it's a helluva fight with Chicago sending the level of representation it does.

If they really focused here in Tennessee they would get another state to add for Constitutional carry. campus carry, ect... and add a fresh win going forward to others.

Nah. All the renewals can easily be done by mail.

- OS

Further, if I understand it right, you would still have to jump through the same or similar hoops on the same periodic schedule because your continued eligibility to hold an HCP would still have to be confirmed every so often.  The only difference would be that you would be jumping through those hoops so the state could be sure that your permit continued to be valid rather than so your permit could be "renewed."  So, unless I have it all wrong, you'd still have to stand in line at the DMV or fill out the mail in application periodically just like those who still paid $50 every five years.  Really, then, you wouldn't be saving any time and, unless you lived and were able to maintain eligibility for the HCP for a period of about fifty years after getting the lifetime permit and never moved to another state you would be wasting money.

As a side note, I received the application for renewal in the mail when it came time to renew my HCP but I like the 'going to the DMV' route, myself, just as sort of a 'CYA' thing.  By doing that, I leave the office with a receipt in my wallet showing my permit has been renewed and I don't have to worry about the application getting lost or held up in the mail (our current mail person isn't the most reliable.)  Fortunately for me, the Rockwood DMV is still a location that does HPCs, is about as close to where I live as any of them and they usually aren't very busy.

Edited by JAB