Which Ruger?

zybysco

I'm looking at either the medium frame flattop blackhawk or the small frame Vaquero. It will be at least 5.5" and 357 magnum. I'm also torn between the blued or stainless. I like having real sights, but the Vaquero just looks cool. Any thoughts? The flattop is being offered as a convertible with 9mm right now. They are about the same price.
With the blackhawk the blue version front sight is not pinned but the stainless version is. Just something to think about if you want to replace the sight. As far as which one, all I will say is get one of each and then shoot the hell out of them. Edited by Joe357

With the blackhawk the blue version front sight is not pinned but the stainless version is. Just something to think about if you want to replace the sight. As far as which one, all I will say is get one of each and then shoot the hell out of them.

So the blued one is part of the frame? Or just crazy hard to replace?

Yes blue blackhawk front sight is welded to the barrel. It can be removed by a gunsmith but.

You have an adjustable rear sight which can be replaced by a better adjustable rear sight on the BH. So unless you want a completely different front sight you'll be fine. If you don't mind spending money a lot of things are possible with fixed front sights. FWIW I like blued guns better than stainless ones.  

yes, get a 9mm convertible.   It is often easy to find 9mm ammo at a lower price than even 38s.   I would rather have this.

Fixed sights can be fixed.  I have 4 or 5 guns that have had the fixed sights removed and fully adjustable put in.  This can be about $100 or so for the worst case scenario (a gunsmith has to cut a notch and do a bunch of work) or less than $50 for models where you can simply knock the old one out and put a new one in.

I have never owned a vaquero.  I have blackhawks in 22, 357 and 44, and love the platform.   I think the 22 is technically called something else (single 6 maybe) but its the exact  same design scaled down a notch, shoots 22 M with alternate cylinder.   Nothing but good things to say about all 3.   Some folks get annoyed at the door reloading design, but Ive grown used to it.

Edited by Jonnin

So. After reading all of the posts, it seems no general consensus is to be found. I'll take that to mean I'll be happy no matter what I get. The vaquero does look sharper though.

LOL As is most things in life. Get what you like and be happy with it.

Unfortunately...I rarely follow my own advice.

But back on track...the Vaquero is awesome looking.

Practicality would take me down the convertible trail...especially if your semi's are in 9

Yeah, multiple platform use out of calibers has always been attractive to me.

9mm pistols <-> 9mm carbines <-> 9mm/.38/.357 Blackhawk <-> other .357/.38 revos <-> .357/.38 rifle

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

The convertible is allocated, so I put myself on the list to get one. That gives me time to decide.

Bud's has both 4.6" and 6.5" .357/9mm ready to go, $529.00 to your FFL.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=ruger+blackhawk+convertible&osCsid=8t5hlnppehnth70ise7rg7v465&x=0&y=0

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot