1911 - What did you choose?

Pete123

I can't find the thread, though someone asked for input not long ago on what to get for their first 1911.  

In classic "Ford vs Chevy" style, there were responses all over the place.

So, if you were the one posing the question, what did you finally decide on?

My first and second 1911 were Kimbers, mainly because of the name. Everyone reconizes the name. After doing a little research and a lot of reading on here and 1911forums my last 1911 was a Dan Wesson. Seems like to get a better 1911 than DW you must step up to a Wilson, Nighthawk, ect..
Colt Commander
I'm not normally a gun snob, but I had to have a Colt for my first 1911. If I didn't have that hang up I would have bought a used Kimber, Dan Wesson or even Springfield and had a much nicer gun for the same money.

I can't find the thread, though someone asked for input not long ago on what to get for their first 1911.  

I got my first 1911 many years ago. It was a Colt. It's a nice pistol but if I were getting my first
1911 now there are many good choices available - Colt, SA, Ruger, Kimber, RI

Pete, I think that was me who posted that a few days ago.  I actually haven't gotten one yet - wound up getting a couple of other things.  It'll probably be a while before I can afford to get one now.  But I'm still going to -- no collection is complete with out one.  I'm actually leaning toward this one right now, but I may change my mind a couple of hundred times between now and then... 

https://us.armscor.com/products/rock-ultra-fs-45-acp

Edited by mhl6493

I have Springfield Armorys. Colts, Kimbers, S&Ws, and Rugers. If money was the biggest issue, and I was going to buy an entry level 1911, I would get a Ruger SR1911. If I was only going to buy one to keep for years, I would pick what I consider to be the best compromise between price and quality, the Springfield Loaded. I have 14 1911's and five of them are Springfield Loadeds. They have just about everything I want on a 1911 except for a checkered frontstrap.

Pete, I think that was me who posted that a few days ago.  I actually haven't gotten one yet - would up getting a couple of other things.  It'll probably be a while before I can afford to get one now.  But I'm still going to -- no collection is complete with out one.  I'm actually leaning toward this one right now, but I may change my mind a couple of hundred times between now and then... 

I love the grips on that one.  

• Like 1

I have Springfield Armorys. Colts, Kimbers, S&Ws, and Rugers. If money was the biggest issue, and I was going to buy an entry level 1911, I would get a Ruger SR1911. If I was only going to buy one to keep for years, I would pick what I consider to be the best compromise between price and quality, the Springfield Loaded. I have 14 1911's and five of them are Springfield Loadeds. They have just about everything I want on a 1911 except for a checkered frontstrap.

You and I think exactly alike.  I have two 1911's.  The first is a Springfield mid 90's mil-spec.  By the time I got it the trigger, hammer and grips and been upgraded and I've always loved that gun.  I just got a new Springfield loaded for the exact reasons you listed.

Aside from the quality of the gun, I like Springfield's history, logo, customer service, and that they don't put a bunch of crap when rolling the engraving on the slide.

The Loaded I just purchased came with a right hand holster.  I called them, expecting to have to buy a left hand, and asked if I could trade.  They sent me a left hand for free, including shipping.

Pete, I think that was me who posted that a few days ago.  I actually haven't gotten one yet - would up getting a couple of other things.  It'll probably be a while before I can afford to get one now.  But I'm still going to -- no collection is complete with out one.  I'm actually leaning toward this one right now, but I may change my mind a couple of hundred times between now and then... 

I am a bit biased, as an Armscor owner, but I heartily agree your choice. lol   :clap:  :up:

• Like 1

My first was a RANDALL RAIDER bought pawn shop used in the very early 90's.... In resent years I've picked up on a CITADEL Full Size in Brushed Nickel, a GSG 1911-22, an ATI Titan in stainless, and a CITADEL 9mm Compact.... 

No "extra" safeties or "extra" controls. Those are my two musts. Price and feature set are next.
The Dan Wesson Heritage is the best $1k 1911 you'll find. I like the springfield models in the $600-850 range. Under that, RIA is the only choice I'd be comfortable with. Stepping above the $1k mark STI and Dan Wesson are all I'd concern myself with until you get to Baer money. After Baer comes brown and Springfield custom shop. Then you get to the Wilson, NH, GI money($3k+). I stopped at Baer money for now. I just don't need the "fluff" you get above this level, I need simple, reliable and accurate. Edited by Jct1911
  • Like 1

I prefer shiny blue pistols.  There's not too many 1911s that don't have a coating on them.  I chose this one.

aab697e3-deb7-42b4-8665-4cf20fc2096b_zps

LOVE IT.  My first was a Colt, but I've owned SA and other as well.  Finally convinced myself that I only needed two 1911s.  One is a Colt Gold CUp in .45ACP, but my favorite of all time is this plain 'ole pistol in .38Super ..................................

DSC_0012-1.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

• Like 1

I'm really an oddball, my first and only 1911 is a Norinco.

Those were an incredible deal when they were initially imported, great price, fantastic steel and a very good barrel. I knew guys who just shot them as is out of the box or simply substituted military surplus parts for a better action. I also saw some top notch full custom guns made from these as well. A lot of us regretted not buying a couple of these for later use not realizing they would be embargoed.
  • Like 1

I'm really an oddball, my first and only 1911 is a Norinco.

My second 1911 was a Norinco.  I had it about 10 years, until an SOB broke into our house and stole it.  Loved that pistol!

Those were an incredible deal when they were initially imported, great price, fantastic steel and a very good barrel. I knew guys who just shot them as is out of the box or simply substituted military surplus parts for a better action. I also saw some top notch full custom guns made from these as well. A lot of us regretted not buying a couple of these for later use not realizing they would be embargoed.

They were exceptional deals!  My first 1911 was an Auto Ordnance. It wasn't that great, so I sold it.  Later on I bought my Norinco. See above as to what happened to it.  It ate everything I ran through it. The only thing I did was change the back strap and added a full length guide rod.  It could out shoot most other 1911s that my friends 1911s. 

After the Norinco was stolen, I replaced it with a Springfield 1911 SS Loaded.  It was another great pistol.  I traded it last summer for an AR.  But I picked up a Springfield Mil-Spec a couple of months back for a song!  It's also a great pistol, but I would put that old "piece of trash" Norinco (as one of my friends used to call it) up against either one of the Springfields.

Edited by Moped