Baltimore in the hot seat now!!!!!

I guess the riots are going to begin in Baltimore since they say another Black man was killed while in police custody. This time he was not shot but go a broken back and died a few days later in Hospital. I saw this story the morning it broke and the guy went down hard after trying to jump some type of fence while running from the police. The police were on bicycles and he was running. If he was not guilty of anything why was he running? They have yet to explain that but all 3,000 police are on duty on Saturday in full riot gear. If I am not guilty of anything, the last thing I will do is run from the police...............JMHO

• Like 2

I guess the riots are going to begin in Baltimore since they say another Black man was killed while in police custody. This time he was not shot but go a broken back and died a few days later in Hospital. I saw this story the morning it broke and the guy went down hard after trying to jump some type of fence while running from the police. The police were on bicycles and he was running. If he was not guilty of anything why was he running? They have yet to explain that but all 3,000 police are on duty on Saturday in full riot gear. If I am not guilty of anything, the last thing I will do is run from the police...............JMHO

The "if he was not guilty of anything why was he running" line is irrelevant to the issue at hand, which are the conditions this man was treated to while in police custody.  Even his alleged crime doesn't factor into that.

From a Fox News link

The Gray family's lawyer, Billy Murphy, said "his spine was 80 percent severed" while in custody. It's not clear whether he was injured by officers in the street or while being carried alone in the van's compartment.

I'm not medically smart enough to know the amount of trauma it takes to sever the human spine that much, but the fact that it happened to a man in police custody warrants an investigation.  If there is anybody found to be responsible for negligence, intentional or accidental, there needs to be consequences.  A community has the right to demand that.

• Like 4

I am in now way attempting to protect the actions of the police with my post. Even a poor trained eye could tell the young man was hurt seriously and EMT's should have been called before he was ever moved. I am almost positive at least one of the officers on the scene should have spotted the victim was suffering a serious problem and chose to ignore it. I was more over trying to make a point of running from the police regardless of what color your skin is would and is not a good idea period................jmho

If this behavior keeps up maybe eventually these thugs will stop activity such as fighting with the police, running from the police, pointing real and fake guns at the police, etc. I feel sorry for cops since now days the criminal seems to get the benefit of the doubt.
  • Like 4

If this behavior keeps up maybe eventually these thugs will stop activity such as fighting with the police, running from the police, pointing real and fake guns at the police, etc. I feel sorry for cops since now days the criminal seems to get the benefit of the doubt.

Or perhaps we will see the reemergence of militant black groups arming themselves against a perceived injustice in the same way that the cattle rancher and the mining family stood their ground. There are already a group suggesting this type of action in Crittenten (?) county Arkansas. I'm certain the outcome won't be the same.

These incidents have been happening for years. If it were not for modern technology, the general public would still be believing that the suspects ran, tried to take my gun, resisted, went in his/her pocket in a threatening manner, reached into the console too fast. If you've lived in a community where you've seen the cops beat the hell out of people for minor offenses or if your family members tell you stories about the cops violating their rights, whether it's justified or not, I can imagine depending on circumstances running may seem like a viable option. Edited by LINKS2K
  • Like 2

I am in now way attempting to protect the actions of the police with my post. Even a poor trained eye could tell the young man was hurt seriously and EMT's should have been called before he was ever moved. I am almost positive at least one of the officers on the scene should have spotted the victim was suffering a serious problem and chose to ignore it. I was more over trying to make a point of running from the police regardless of what color your skin is would and is not a good idea period................jmho

Whether or not running from the police is a good idea or not shouldn't even enter into the equation, at all.  You keep bringing it up, and it has the "thug got what was coming" vibe to it.  It doesn't matter if he surrendered peacefully or resisted arrest with armed force, basic humane treatment of those in police custody has to be the same across the board, or it causes problems.

Neglect basic care for prisoners in your charge is a recipe for disaster within the community. 

The criminal (read: accused) getting the benefit of the doubt is a legal protection....innocent until proven guilty and all that.

• Like 3
Him running or not has everything to do with it. You don't see many story's of guys who followed the officers directions getting hurt. Take you fight to the court room instead of the street and these type events don't happen.
  • Like 4

Him running or not has everything to do with it. You don't see many story's of guys who followed the officers directions getting hurt. Take you fight to the court room instead of the street and these type events don't happen.

The guy was handcuffed and in leg irons for his transportation.  What level of threat does he represent that can't be handled by trained officers at that point?  Walk me from him being restrained in cuffs and leg irons to an 80% severed spine and explain why him running factors into it.

• Like 3

I was taught as a child and all my life I have been told when any police officer tells you to stop or quit you stop or quit. I have been taught that my entire life and to this very day if A Policeman or Policewoman tells me to stop, STOP is exactly what I do. It is something that was taught to me as a child. Respect Law Enforcement Officers. Now that does not mean that all LEO's are good by any means. The ones that handled this situation did everything wrong and should be punished for their neglect and failure to provide this man due process of medical attention before moving him. I just have faith in the fact 1 bad apple does not make an entire police force rotten. There are more good LEO's than bad.............................jmho

• Like 2

I was taught as a child and all my life I have been told when any police officer tells you to stop or quit you stop or quit. I have been taught that my entire life and to this very day if A Policeman or Policewoman tells me to stop, STOP is exactly what I do. It is something that was taught to me as a child. Respect Law Enforcement Officers. Now that does not mean that all LEO's are good by any means. The ones that handled this situation did everything wrong and should be punished for their neglect and failure to provide this man due process of medical attention before moving him. I just have faith in the fact 1 bad apple does not make an entire police force rotten. There are more good LEO's than bad.............................jmho

Society has a way of dealing with people who don't submit to police authority.  If someone is resisting arrest, there's a tack on charge for that called...wait for it...resisting arrest.  I'd say there is a chance this guy could have been charged with it given the circumstances, but since he's dead, it's a moot point.

I don't know why the individual in question ran from the police nor all of the particulars involved in the case. There's going to be and investigation into the facts of this case and I'd bet the DOJ will have a nose in it as well. Until then the only side I'm on is determining the truth. I am going to clue you in on something from personal experience though...you can't always tell someone's got a broken back when they're injured. I'll also tell you this...some folks are just plain hardwired to either run from the police or resist arrest every time they get into trouble.  

some folks are just plain hardwired to either run from the police or resist arrest every time they get into trouble.

That's the point that I attempted to make earlier. If you see or hear enough horror stories about negative interactions with the authorities, running didn't seem like a bad option.

That's the point that I attempted to make earlier. If you see or hear enough horror stories about negative interactions with the authorities, running didn't seem like a bad option.

Not necessarily, most I've encountered who've fled when questioned after the fact simply didn't want to be arrested. In some cases it was simple life style, in others they just liked to run from the police so they could laugh about it later. Most weren't the least bit frightened of the police and were quite derisive of same. Your thoughts that offenders run due to horror stories of police dealings look good in a news story but my own experience has been such reasoning was very rare.  

• Like 1

There are good cops and bad cops: the good far outnumber the bad. The worst thing for the good ones is when the bad ones aren't disciplined/fired when they should be (not unlike criminals who aren't punished). How many times do we see this: a criminal or cop does something horrible and then it comes out that the criminal should have already been in prison but wasn't or the cop should have been fired long ago but wasn't? It's the same thing.

As to the Baltimore situation... best to wait for what actually happened rather than taking sides (this might save you from looking stupid later). Was the man injured before or after going into the paddy wagon? Either way, it's the responsibility of the police dept, but it makes a big difference to the cops who made the arrest.

While I adamantly believe that there are more good cops than bad but lot of times I just shake my head....

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/cop-ruptures-mans-spleen-fellow-cops-laugh-pics-lays-dying-begging-medical/#TTIEeJ3ljv9lkePH.99

This is what makes me shake my head:

"further investigation into the matter shows that his fellow officers were not only complicit in covering it up, but also sadistically laughed as the man lay bleeding internally in the cell"

I can understand a bad cop getting on a police force every now and then. But why don't their peers have the balls to do what's right? Are they all afraid of the big bad cop? It sure seems that way sometimes. Edited by Randall53
  • Administrator

I was reading up on this last night and found several anecdotal reports of "suspects" being taken on intentionally violent rides in cruisers or transport vans while handcuffed and shackled and summarily receiving spinal injuries as a result.  If that practice is indeed employed by some officers, there might be something to this story.

Like someone else said in this thread, it's rather difficult to logically walk through how a suspect can be subdued and restrained, and then somehow receive an injury that almost completely severs their spinal cord while in custody.  Was there another fight or scuffle with officers?  Some sort of sincere "freak accident"?

This one just looks bad no matter what news source I use to read accounts of what happened.  Baltimore PD may have brought this one upon themselves.

• Like 3

You do realize that sometimes the criminal is wearing a badge?

• Like 2

I was reading up on this last night and found several anecdotal reports of "suspects" being taken on intentionally violent rides in cruisers or transport vans while handcuffed and shackled and summarily receiving spinal injuries as a result. If that practice is indeed employed by some officers, there might be something to this story.

Like someone else said in this thread, it's rather difficult to logically walk through how a suspect can be subdued and restrained, and then somehow receive an injury that almost completely severs their spinal cord while in custody. Was there another fight or scuffle with officers? Some sort of sincere "freak accident"?

This one just looks bad no matter what news source I use to read accounts of what happened. Baltimore PD may have brought this one upon themselves.

Stories like this have been around for a long time. I think the cops' words were almost universally trusted generations ago. Thanks to modern technology, however, we are starting to see the other side of it.

Cops are also like a fraternity with an us vs them. I believe they will help to cover up for each other. That can be good, but it is mostly bad. We have several prior or current police officers on here. How many of you will discuss the unofficial policy of " if you run, then you will get beat" to other people? Even today that still gets covered up. I've known officers that left the force because of that. I wish they had stayed and tried to fix it instead, but I can understand their thought process.