Vehicle Holster Concept

So, I've been toying with this idea for a nice way to have my handgun accessible in my 2002 Ford Ranger- I want to mount a holster inside the ash tray that I never use.  Problem is, I need to figure out how to, 1) get the ash tray out, 2) get the holster bolted, screwed, whatever in place, and 3), putting the whole rig back in.  Not being a car guy at all, I'm hoping you guys can troubleshoot my concept, and let me know just how must trouble it will be, or if it isn't even feasible.

Any and all questions, comments, & concerns welcome.  Here are some pics so you can see the concept I'm thinking of.

IMG_20150425_154448_zpsdfwxom81.jpg

IMG_20150425_154453_zpsqokjqtid.jpg

IMG_20150425_150036_zpso34gws2y.jpg

IMG_20150425_150058_zpspgcxx46r.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good idea.  Just so you know I'm stealing it if I can get it to work on my Tundra.  Visibility doesn't bother me because I will take it with me when I exit. and open carry is an option in TN.       Appeal is in how much handy it will be when I am seated.  Can't use one of the under dash mounts as I have knee airbags.

Those ash trays are typically held in with a metal spring tab. You just have to squeeze it and tilt it out. Once you get the ash tray out, you'll have to figure out how to mount the holster. Maybe there's a bracket or something else in there strong enough to attach it to.

Well good job, but, way to much in the open.

I'm fine with it being so open since my main concern is reaction time in a crunch.  My oversize ass, sitting in the confines of a Ford Ranger, makes reaching the holster on my body, or having to get inside the center console a complication.  I'll transition the gun to my OWB or IWB holster if I'm carrying it outside the vehicle, or lock it into the glove compartment if I'm going somewhere I can't take it with. 

Good idea.  Just so you know I'm stealing it if I can get it to work on my Tundra.  Visibility doesn't bother me because I will take it with me when I exit. and open carry is an option in TN.       Appeal is in how much handy it will be when I am seated.  Can't use one of the under dash mounts as I have knee airbags.

Haha, go for it man.  This is a DIY project, not something I'm about to patent.  We're of the same mind on the visibility being a non-issue.

Those ash trays are typically held in with a metal spring tab. You just have to squeeze it and tilt it out. Once you get the ash tray out, you'll have to figure out how to mount the holster. Maybe there's a bracket or something else in there strong enough to attach it to.

Thanks for the inspiration.  I found a simple way to get it out by holding down on the top part and pulling it right out.  Kind of embarrassed I didn't find it sooner.  Now I'm going to see if I can get some screws/bolts with fasteners and washers that will marry flush to the two holes in the left hand side of the holster where it attaches to the paddle, to the plastic frame of the ash tray holder.  Hopefully it will be strong enough to hold during a draw, which I will test about 100 times before I trust my life to it. 

Here's where I'm at now with this project.

IMG_20150425_191216_zps2zjlsfjz.jpg

Calling it 95% done.  The current rig holds up suprisingly nice with just one bolt.  I still want to find a 2nd bolt with a head that sits lower on the inside of the holster, since the ones I got rub up against the side of the gun in that position.  I can also take the entire ash tray in and out with the holster in there.  I'm very pleased with the progress so far.

IMG_20150425_201301_zpspcbgibhi.jpg

Replace_zpsutq2mugt.jpg

If I were starting from scratch, I would have thought of bolting it to the side of the center floor console, but your idea is more creative.

If I had a bigger truck, I probably would have. But in my Ranger, my leg would have been brushing up against it on my side, and likewise if I have a passenger and it was mounted on their side. Edited by btq96r

Good thinking.  I have found that my NAA .22WMR with a 1 5/8 inch barrel - in a cloth pocket holster - actually fits in the ashtray/catch-all tray that is mounted in just about the same place on the dash of my 2001 Dodge Ram 1500.  The ash tray will even completely close with it in there as long as I tilt it the right way - and I have the oversized (mini master) type grips on mine.  It wouldn't be quite as fast as your solution but I can flip the ashtray open and present it pretty quickly.  Sure, it isn't a 9mm or a .40 but a Gold Dot or two in WMR to the face at close range should do the trick of getting my butt out of danger..  Just tossing that out there as an idea for folks for whom stealth may be a bit more of an issue.

Edited by JAB