Kimber VS. SIG Ultra .45's

Fourtyfive

I have decided to purchase another compact .45 , what a surprise.... I would like input on these two models as they are where I am headed. I would love another Springer Officers in stainless but they quit making them.

The Kimber Ultra Raptor II http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/raptor-ii/stainless-ultra-raptor-ii

I don't trust a lot of what I read on the web but Kimber seems to have a CS problem and a 1 year warranty. It's my understanding that the recoil spring needs replacing every 500 rounds ($40) and everyone that buys this gun replaces the mag because of feeding problems ? The gun is beautiful but also the cost is around $1300 GB. I do not own a Kimber and would like to hear from other Kimber owners , I understand that there are many Kimber owners with perfectly operating guns that don't jump on the web and praise that theirs works fine.

The Sig 1911 Ultra Two Tone http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetails/1911-ultra-two-tone.aspx

A good looking piece , external extractor ; no prob I have a few. I like Sigs and have not had a problem with any I have owned. Lifetime Limited warranty , better than 1 year. Around $800 GB.

Any input appreciated......

I own pistols from Sig and Kimber and haven't had any problem with them.  My Ultra CDP II was my primary carry pistol for several years and has been flawless in operation.  I primarily use Wilson mags with it but the Kimber mag hasn't been a problem.  Kimber's Operation Manual recommends Recoil Spring replacement every 1800 rounds and Mainspring and Firing Pin Spring at 5000 rounds.

I own pistols from Sig and Kimber and haven't had any problem with them.  My Ultra CDP II was my primary carry pistol for several years and has been flawless in operation.  I primarily use Wilson mags with it but the Kimber mag hasn't been a problem.  Kimber's Operation Manual recommends Recoil Spring replacement every 1800 rounds and Mainspring and Firing Pin Spring at 5000 rounds.

Good news , thanks.
I have the ultra raptor II, it is a bit overpriced but it is the best shooting 1911 I have ever had my hands on. Shoots way better than my full size springfield. I've had a couple of FTF but it was from old ammo that had corrosion on the cases from by paw prints. I've got about 1500+ rounds through it and no other problems.

I don't like that it says Yonkers NY on the frame, but at least it's the US.

I recommend the kimber. If you're in east TN you can give it a go.

Can't speak of the Sig but do know the Germans are safety nazi's. I had to de-safety nazi my walther P-22 to make it worth a damn. Once I did it is great. Kept me away from Sigs though. Edited by Still Ugly

FWIW. I have owned one Kimber, a ProCarry II. It shot well. My opinion, the Kimber mags were crap. It would not feed reliably thru one single mag. I had a lgs owner suggest Wilson or McCormick mags.

I changed to them and the gun was 100% better. Not flawless, but much better.

I traded the Kimber when I a good offer on it. Then got a heavily modified Springer GI. Then a LTWT Loaded Operator. That's the best of the Springer line for me.

Still have the Springfields, but have gotten into Sigs. Have an RC3, a TacOps, and a Nightmare. All shot very well and have given no issues that weren't my fault or cheap bad ammo.

Of the 3, I believe I prefer the Sig as an out-of-the box 1911. The Springfields run a close second. But that's just my opinion on these you've mentioned. 

Oh, btw, still using Wilson mags wherever possible in all my 1911 pistols.

• Administrator

I've owned several Kimbers.  I had no problems with any of them.  Hands down the most reliable of the bunch was my Warrior that I had worked over by Jeff Meister.  I had no problems with it before he touched it either, but afterward the thing just ran and ran and ran.  He reamed the chamber, addressed some issues with the feed ramp, tightened the slide a little and that was that.

I hear the current owner would rather talk to you about giving up a kidney than giving up my old Warrior.   ;)

All that being said, hundreds of bad reports out there on the Internet might be fabrications, but they might not be either.  I went with a Colt for my last purchase for a reason, but it was a toss-up between it and a Springfield.  I think either of those two would be far above a Kimber on my current shopping list were I to do it again right now.  Kimber has acquired a bad reputation lately for a reason.

• Like 1
I have the sig ultra. Great little pistol mines plenty accurate. Eats everything I feed it. It is my EDCduring the colder months when I dont sweat so much. The slide is a bugger to keep rust free with sweat on it.

It's all tapatalks fault
  • Administrator

My problem with the Sig 1911's is that they come in two flavors.  You either get the Granite series slide which doesn't fit any other 1911 holster not specifically made for it, or you get the Traditional series slide which does.  This confuses people and they wonder why their Sig 1911 won't fit any other 1911 holster, which in turn leaves a bad taste in their mouths.

If I was going to buy a Sig 1911, it would be the TacOps Traditional.

Colt shows theirs with a 7 round mag. It's not like you won't need more!!!

I know but every ad or info I find says Talo changed the Night version to a 6 rounder , did they chop the grip ..... and what is the reasoning in making a Night version with half the night sights ? Edited by Fourtyfive

I'm saving up for a Kimber Aeigs Pro. I have had 5 1911 style pistols during my lifetime. An old Colt Gold Cup National Match that I bought used and it broke something every time I shot it, but I know now I should have kept it. A Series 1 Kimber Custom and a Series II Custom. A Colt Defender that was just a lemon from the word go, even the shop owner shot it and went right to get the return paper work. And my TLE II that I love. Never had any trouble outta the Kimbers and I like the looks of them better than the Sig 1911s. They try to make it look like a Sig and that just rubs me the wrong way.

As for the internet hate for Kimber, given that they make a lot of guns there are more of them out there in the wild and you only really hear stories about bad guns, never good guns.

I have the scare factor on the Kimber , I really want it but I'm afraid to buy it. My son said take my Defender back home and put some night sights on it and carry on.... I've had it for about 12 years and it's never had 1 failure. I may just do it and dress it up with some nice wood , I'm in limbo Hell at the moment ... Edited by Fourtyfive

Personally, I would have some changes made to the Colt.

But...in spite of my comments on Kimber, which I don't believe I dissed except for the mags; if you like a particular Kimber, get one.

Even if you don't like the pistol, I believe you could sell it. But I don't think Kimber is a bad pistol to buy.
My boy said hey , get me the Night Defender and you can have the wood grips ... I said ok .. Just snatched one on GB for $865 ... Expensive grips .... :) will add the night sights to my Defender and everybody's happy .... Edited by Fourtyfive
  • Like 1